M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Roofing

Back in 2019, I had a thread about a roofing quote, with which we never proceeded. Fast forward to late 2021 and we are looking at starting this up again (inevitably at a higher cost but good to squeeze a couple more years out of the existing roof).

Does anyone have a good source to read up on roofing to be better educated on how to approach estimates, questions to ask, materials to look for / avoid? Yes, I can and will Google, but looking to leverage some others’ experience too.

We are in South Florida. The top layer of our roof is concrete roof tile. I don’t particularly care for this material, but it is the most popular in the area - almost every roof in town is the same material. There are some older shingles and wood shake roofs, and a handful of metal panel roofs I have seen, but in our neighborhood it is concrete tiles or metal shaped and finished roof look like concrete roof tiles. Most are barrel shaped but flat tile seems to be getting more popular.

Anyway just open ended request for insights to get up to speed and make an intelligent decision. Or at least educated, semi-intelligent decision.
      11-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Can't offer any advice, especially for south Florida, but we just had an appraisal done last week. I was fully expecting the contractor to come back with an estimate to redo the whole roof. Instead he said it had 3-5 more years and he could fix the couple of rough spots for about $800. He also does gutters, so I'm having him tear out the old gutters and install all new 6" wide gutters and high gutter guards. Grand total for all the work is under $3k. I like it when things work out like that.

I don't suppose a thatched roof would work in So. Florida, eh?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      11-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Hurricane-proof would be my #1 consideration in your neighborhood.

If we had to do a new roof here on our current house, I would check to see how close those Tesla solar shingles are to being available. I would also make sure that whatever roof I was considering was compatible with solar panels, which may render architectural aesthetics a moot point.....
vanguard8245.50
      11-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Hurricane-proof would be my #1 consideration in your neighborhood.

If we had to do a new roof here on our current house, I would check to see how close those Tesla solar shingles are to being available. I would also make sure that whatever roof I was considering was compatible with solar panels, which may render architectural aesthetics a moot point.....
“Hurricane-proof” is likely cost prohibitive for a replacement roof. There are some roofs that are rated for up to 150 mph and carry commensurate warranties, but they are also costly and you need to hope the company underwriting the survives a catastrophe. Most “regular” roofs will be damaged in a storm and require repair, covered by insurance. We have actually been waiting for a storm to do enough damage to get it replaced by insurance and it hasn’t happened (and I’m not interested in working with a roofer to scam the insurance company).

I read a bit about the Tesla solar shingles and will look more closely at them, but there were two things that concerned me: cost and installation timeline. I read it could take up to six months to complete the install and we just can’t have that going on for six months, particularly with Hurricane season.

The concrete tiles support solar panels, as there are a few in my neighborhood that have gone up.
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
“Hurricane-proof” is likely cost prohibitive for a replacement roof. There are some roofs that are rated for up to 150 mph and carry commensurate warranties, but they are also costly and you need to hope the company underwriting the survives a catastrophe. Most “regular” roofs will be damaged in a storm and require repair, covered by insurance. We have actually been waiting for a storm to do enough damage to get it replaced by insurance and it hasn’t happened (and I’m not interested in working with a roofer to scam the insurance company).

I read a bit about the Tesla solar shingles and will look more closely at them, but there were two things that concerned me: cost and installation timeline. I read it could take up to six months to complete the install and we just can’t have that going on for six months, particularly with Hurricane season.

The concrete tiles support solar panels, as there are a few in my neighborhood that have gone up.
Unfortunately we had to do our roof about 5 or 6 years ago. We had the original flat concrete tiles from the 80s and were just having leak after leak to the point where none of the roofing companies I contacted would even work on it saying them being up there would just make it worse.

Anyways our HOA doesn’t give us any choice but to go with concrete tile. I would have personally gone with shingle or metal. The cost difference between shingle and concrete is huge and from my understanding it’s basically just decorative and offers some protection to the material below which is what actually stops the water.

I was also told the flat tiles had better hurricane/wind performance, but we went with barrel style tiles as we just liked the look better and the performance numbers were not that far off.

Another thing to consider is wood rot damage. The roofing companies will guesstimate a number for how much wood they will replace, however they don’t actually know until they rip the old one off and see what is rotted underneath. If you don’t have any leaks then maybe it will be minimal, but for us it was significantly higher than what our quote included.

Also we were told its good to get tiles from a company that will continue to produce them for many years as if you need to get some replaced down the road you will still be able to buy them. We have some extras stored aways anyways.

As for the tesla roof tiles I would look into that carefully as I’m pretty sure they have been sued over those tiles. I think they showed them off and started selling them but no one was actually getting them installed because they either didn’t work or didn’t hold up or something. I believe they started installing regular solar panels on peoples houses instead. I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M8 Gran Coupe Comp

I own one of the largest Roofing companies in Houston and do ONLY insurance related work.

I can first and foremost say I want to understand your definition of scamming the insurance companies?

The 2 largest variables on a home policy are your pipes and roofs, while you being in Florida your rates are roughly similar to Texas due to the storm frequency.

The insurance market dictates itself and no "roofer" has the ability to over-bill insurance as the entire system is based on a specific software we all use that has a 6 week rotating pricelist.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll go on the record and say Tesla roofs are very interesting looking and having seem them installed in person you sure as hell better make sure that the home is built true and all sub surface materials such as decking and brackets are square or can result in visual waves in the panels.

Concrete tiles are frankly not all that amazing and even though they're "rated" at a wear rating of 50-100yrs that's the life cycle for degradation yet actual warranties typically are only good for 10yrs due to known thermal fissures that plague Concrete or stone based materials including real slate which is paper thin.

Decra is stone coated steel that resemble clay/ boral tires or even a product called matterhorn by CertainTeed is a good option.

Regardless when looking at "quotes" price per Square is the name of the game. $800-1200 per sq for tile/ Concrete typically.

My recommendation is find a local public adjuster and have them pursue a claim first before spending out of pocket for a roof. I know how to get a $100k roof paid for with only a single damaged tile.... they should aswell.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you are going to stay in the house for a long time several decades, just bite the bullet and get a metal roof. You just pay once.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmersandmopars View Post
I own one of the largest Roofing companies in Houston and do ONLY insurance related work.

I can first and foremost say I want to understand your definition of scamming the insurance companies?

The 2 largest variables on a home policy are your pipes and roofs, while you being in Florida your rates are roughly similar to Texas due to the storm frequency.

The insurance market dictates itself and no "roofer" has the ability to over-bill insurance as the entire system is based on a specific software we all use that has a 6 week rotating pricelist.
There is a roofing company going around and knocking on doors and telling people they can get them a new roof if they help with the claim. They say it might take 2 years and involve litigation but they have been successful helping with claims for a full new roof even when there are no leaks or apparent damage and even if the roof is 20+ years old and even thought there hasn’t been a major storm since 2017.

Now I have no problem getting a claim paid that truly needed. We used an independent appraiser for roof and other damage after a storm but we did not require a full new roof. A roofer soliciting homeowners to submit claims for roofs, however, seems to cross the line into scam and is part of the reason our insurance went up 40% this year.
      11-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
There is a roofing company going around and knocking on doors and telling people they can get them a new roof if they help with the claim. They say it might take 2 years and involve litigation but they have been successful helping with claims for a full new roof even when there are no leaks or apparent damage and even if the roof is 20+ years old and even thought there hasn’t been a major storm since 2017.

Now I have no problem getting a claim paid that truly needed. We used an independent appraiser for roof and other damage after a storm but we did not require a full new roof. A roofer soliciting homeowners to submit claims for roofs, however, seems to cross the line into scam and is part of the reason our insurance went up 40% this year.
I contacted a public adjuster before replacing the roof. He said we MIGHT be able to get them to pay for some of the leak damage to the floor and ceiling but no way they would pay for a new roof. On the other hand the lady who owned the house we bought in NC had her insurance replace the entire roof because of some storm damage. I don’t know what the damage was, as we saw the house before the roof replacement and whatever it was certainly wasn’t big enough to be visible. She had a shingle roof though.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      11-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #11
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Rate increases are associated with many factors largely the hurricane frequency lately and unfortunately the Texas Freeze. Statefarm alone spent $32 Billion on the freeze.

Now I'll tell you I fully respect door knocking and do it myself. I too do it because my hobbies are incredibly expensive, yet I prefer to help homeowners when I know they're likely going to screw themselves or to stop a bad apple company from attempting to get in a neighborhood.

The roofing industry last year was over $50 billion in 2020 and $49 Billion in 2019. I net between $10-15 million of that and can honestly say when done properly the system works in everyone's favor.

Is your roof tile still in production?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      11-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll go on the record and say Tesla roofs are very interesting looking and having seem them installed in person you sure as hell better make sure that the home is built true and all sub surface materials such as decking and brackets are square or can result in visual waves in the panels.

Concrete tiles are frankly not all that amazing and even though they're "rated" at a wear rating of 50-100yrs that's the life cycle for degradation yet actual warranties typically are only good for 10yrs due to known thermal fissures that plague Concrete or stone based materials including real slate which is paper thin.

Decra is stone coated steel that resemble clay/ boral tires or even a product called matterhorn by CertainTeed is a good option.

Regardless when looking at "quotes" price per Square is the name of the game. $800-1200 per sq for tile/ Concrete typically.

My recommendation is find a local public adjuster and have them pursue a claim first before spending out of pocket for a roof. I know how to get a $100k roof paid for with only a single damaged tile.... they should aswell.
Two quotes thus far are $1000-$1200 per square plus any wood in excess of the estimate included in the quote.
      11-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rate increases are associated with many factors largely the hurricane frequency lately and unfortunately the Texas Freeze. Statefarm alone spent $32 Billion on the freeze.

Now I'll tell you I fully respect door knocking and do it myself. I too do it because my hobbies are incredibly expensive, yet I prefer to help homeowners when I know they're likely going to screw themselves or to stop a bad apple company from attempting to get in a neighborhood.

The roofing industry last year was over $50 billion in 2020 and $49 Billion in 2019. I net between $10-15 million of that and can honestly say when done properly the system works in everyone's favor.

Is your roof tile still in production?
Don’t know about roof tile still being in production. House was built in 1998. When we have had repairs, they either found the same tile, or something close enough that we can’t tell the difference.
      11-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I contacted a public adjuster before replacing the roof. He said we MIGHT be able to get them to pay for some of the leak damage to the floor and ceiling but no way they would pay for a new roof. On the other hand the lady who owned the house we bought in NC had her insurance replace the entire roof because of some storm damage. I don’t know what the damage was, as we saw the house before the roof replacement and whatever it was certainly wasn’t big enough to be visible. She had a shingle roof though.
In 2013, we had a leak covered for damage inside + the roof repair. Then we got dropped by insurance and had to switch to Citizens for 3 years with much higher premiums. Needs to be a big claim to make it worthwhile.
      11-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you are going to stay in the house for a long time several decades, just bite the bullet and get a metal roof. You just pay once.
Well, we’ll both be 54 in a couple of months and think we’ll probably be here 15-20 years, maybe a little more or a little less. Hard to plan much beyond that. (Another reason to wish I was still 30, I guess.)
Efthreeoh17164.50
      11-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Well, we’ll both be 54 in a couple of months and think we’ll probably be here 15-20 years, maybe a little more or a little less. Hard to plan much beyond that. (Another reason to wish I was still 30, I guess.)
I'm 59. I just had a small building I built myself 22 years ago and shingled the roof with asphalt, re-roofed with 3-rib steel roof this year. It was the last roof of the multi-building complex I call home that was not metal. The first being the 250 year old timber-frame house.

You pay upfront with no effing around later.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Too bad you're not in my area. I had a roofing company that was doing work on my immediate neighbor's home tell me they could get my insurance company to cover the replacement of my roof. My immediate neighbor has USAA. The two houses down from them also got their roofs covered by insurance. I don't know who they have as insurance carriers.

When it came time for my roof to be inspected by my insurance company's dispatched adjuster, he said he couldn't see enough damage to justify replacing the whole roof. He only recommended repair on the few spots he saw. Since then, a few door knockers had stopped by and said they could try again. I'm reluctant to do that as my insurance company already has an attempted claim on record. One of the roofing company's asked what insurance I have. I told him and he said...yeah...they're tough to get approval on having an entire roof replaced and left me alone.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      11-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm 59. I just had a small building I built myself 22 years ago and shingled the roof with asphalt, re-roofed with 3-rib steel roof this year. It was the last roof of the multi-building complex I call home that was not metal. The first being the 250 year old timber-frame house.

You pay upfront with no effing around later.
Any ballpark on cost per square / square foot?
      11-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #19
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Too bad you're not in my area. I had a roofing company that was doing work on my immediate neighbor's home tell me they could get my insurance company to cover the replacement of my roof. My immediate neighbor has USAA. The two houses down from them also got their roofs covered by insurance. I don't know who they have as insurance carriers.

When it came time for my roof to be inspected by my insurance company's dispatched adjuster, he said he couldn't see enough damage to justify replacing the whole roof. He only recommended repair on the few spots he saw. Since then, a few door knockers had stopped by and said they could try again. I'm reluctant to do that as my insurance company already has an attempted claim on record. One of the roofing company's asked what insurance I have. I told him and he said...yeah...they're tough to get approval on having an entire roof replaced and left me alone.
Who is yours?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      11-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #20
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don’t know about roof tile still being in production. House was built in 1998. When we have had repairs, they either found the same tile, or something close enough that we can’t tell the difference.
Most states have repairability clauses and like kind and quality and the material if not available or accessible in a database known as ITEL.

If your original roof had felt paper or not water proof underlayment it's ticket to instant full replacement due to code and building guidelines requiring synthetic underlayment underlayment tiles/ metal.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #21
Bimmersandmopars
Lieutenant
Rep

This is my casa.... house only 1.5yrs old. Carrier paid $56k for the 30yr shingle that was originally on it. I upgraded the roof to full designer slate look shingles.

Here in Texas.... roofs last 10-15yrs if you're lucky.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410954.50
vreihen1615124.00
      11-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #22
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Who is yours?
I'll send you a PM.