M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #1
NGROSSO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6 -- 2016 M6

Lug Bolt from hell

Hi all,

First off I feel like an absolute moron. I had a busy day planned and wanted to remove my rear left wheel for a quick project and got stuck on the last lug bolt. I think all of them must've been tightened at least 1000lb. My 400 lb ft impact wrench didn't even touch them.

Becoming frustrated and impatient, i tried some dumb things to give me a lovely stripped lug bolt. It's hard to know this thing was a hex bolt at one point. Now of course with major regrets, I come here looking for help on how I can remove this bolt. I'm thinking about trying an extractor set that i've seen others use online. Anyone try this or have any other tips? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGROSSO View Post
Hi all,

First off I feel like an absolute moron. I had a busy day planned and wanted to remove my rear left wheel for a quick project and got stuck on the last lug bolt. I think all of them must've been tightened at least 1000lb. My 400 lb ft impact wrench didn't even touch them.

Becoming frustrated and impatient, i tried some dumb things to give me a lovely stripped lug bolt. It's hard to know this thing was a hex bolt at one point. Now of course with major regrets, I come here looking for help on how I can remove this bolt. I'm thinking about trying an extractor set that i've seen others use online. Anyone try this or have any other tips? Thank you.
Put the others back on and slowly take it to a wheel and tire shop. They'll take it out and you can buy some wheel bolts from them/BMW dealer if they have it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Most shops won’t do it or they’ll make you sign a waiver that they aren’t liable for damage to the wheel.

Go to a hardware store and purchase a 12pt socket that is a smidge smaller than the now round lug bolt. Carefully mallet the 12pt socket on until seated. Then use a breaker bar on ratchet, NOT an impact gun. It will be a single use only socket because you won’t be able to remove the stripped lug.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
yeah the tire shop that caused this problem for us wouldn't do anything else to the lug or wheel. Literally the only place we go for tires. We had success one time with the 12pt socket, I'd suggest applying some tape around the lug well to help protect the finish should you have a miss or the socket knocks around. I would also install the other lugs to help compress the wheel back to the hub as it may help you ease the stripped lug out.

On my M6 I paid the dealer close to 600 to remove 1 wheel lock. Our indy shop charged 180.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
un_happy_camper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5CP

I feel your pain. I went through this putting on winter tires a couple weeks ago. I went through a whole range of options:
12pt socket on a impact wrench (couldn't break loose)
12pt socket on a breaker bar (slipped)
went to town - bought a 6pt socket (broke socket on first use)
borrowed high-quality tight-fitting 6pt socket - tapped it onto the bolt and used an impact wrench (spun) and breaker bar (slipped off and damaged the rim)
used a nut extractor on the impact wrench (spun)
hammered "one size too small" nut extractor on then impact (destroyed bolt but it came out)

like this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087P5GKFK...NsaWNrPXRydWU=)

good luck!
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

couldnt get my spacers off my rotors on saturday, I had bigger issues to worry about (like buying wheels off a F90 not realizing the bore and bolt pattern are different from the F10).
Appreciate 0