M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

11-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Next Generation CTS-V (aka CT6-V) is officially dead

We'll sort of...

Next years CT6-V will only be a one model year car. Cadillac announced today that they're killing off the luxury sedan, this includes the CT6, the CT-6 V-Sport, and full BMW M5 competitor, the CT6-V. But it looks like they're new twin turbo V8 engine (which comes from the factory with forged internals by the way) will live on in other models. So in the end, this is an end of an era, there will be no more direct American competitor to the BMW M5. I guess GM finally saw the writing on the wall, along with abysmal sales numbers of the current CTS-V, nobody wants American Super Sedans anymore, yet BMW and Mercedes are still enjoying strong sales of the F90 M5 and E63S. I do wonder if this new GM Blackwing engine will make its way into the mid-engined Corvette though. Not that anyone on these forums actually buys the CTS-V, I think it's noteworthy footnote in the history of Super Sedans. However, the full CT6-V will still go into production for a very limited amount of time next year and I do believe that it will also be an AWD platform like the Germans, but probably won't feature the switchable RWD on demand tech.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ocialflowFBRAT

Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I guess GM finally saw the writing on the wall, along with abysmal sales numbers of the current CTS-V, nobody wants American Super Sedans anymore
Really it is that no-one want American Sedans any more. Ford exited the sedan market. GM is dramatically cutting back on sedans. Super Sedans are just collateral damage.

Let's face it - for all the talk about these Cadillac-V sedans, no-one here was actually buying them.

Of course if the communist in the White House has his way, this will change when he puts 25% tariffs on European cars to protect the overpaid UAW worker.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I guess GM finally saw the writing on the wall, along with abysmal sales numbers of the current CTS-V, nobody wants American Super Sedans anymore
Really it is that no-one want American Sedans any more. Ford exited the sedan market. GM is dramatically cutting back on sedans. Super Sedans are just collateral damage.

Let's face it - for all the talk about these Cadillac-V sedans, no-one here was actually buying them.

Of course if the communist in the White House has his way, this will change when he puts 25% tariffs on European cars to protect the overpaid UAW worker.
Yes this is all true, although I think the current Chevy Malibu is a very nice car.

And as you pointed out, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the price of a future BMW 5-Series or Mercedes E-Class jumps by 25%.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

That's sad, I hoping to see eventually GM can put out a worthy competitor, both inside and outside.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cadillac is going to release a CT5 and CT4 with V sport and V models. The sizing will be je 4 being bigger than a 2 but smaller than a 3 series and the 5 bigger than a 3 and smaller than a 5.

Thé original plan was to end the CT6 and release the CT8 as a bigger replacement. Seems we are at a point where GM doesn't know what to do. The CT6 is seemingly going to live on in the meantime.

CT6-V sounds amazing btw but I don't know that it has enough HP to compete with the M5.

I still consider Cadillac when I shop. The ATS-V is a great deal as well as the ats-Vsport 340i competitor.
Cadillac can't nickel and dime for features so you get a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

I really wanted to try CTSV but just can't stand that interior.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:20 AM   #7
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'd buy the ctsv. sounds great w awesome performance.

Country run
Appreciate 0