Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Creaking front right suspension

The car has just developed a really loud creaking sound from the front right suspension, its really loud when turning the steering wheel and you can also hear it when the car drives over bumps.

The noise is a bit quieter when the wheel is in the air (car on a jack)

I sounds like one of the rubber bushes but not sure which one as there are quite a few.

I have spoken with BMW assist who said nothing should be lubricated so it will be a failed component and i will have to wait until the lock down ends which is fine as i don't need to use it.

Not concerned as the car has an extended warranty but would be interested to hear your thoughts as to what it is. Car has covered 16,500 miles and is a 2016 build.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Most likely to be wear in a ball joint, sometimes they can be a bit of a pain to pinpoint the exact one but I'm sure bmw will sort it, even better that it's at no cost to you.

Joints can also become noisy if theres been a slight hole in one of the dust covers. Always better to replace it anyway as grease is a nightmare to get into them properly and make it last.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      04-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Most likely to be wear in a ball joint, sometimes they can be a bit of a pain to pinpoint the exact one but I'm sure bmw will sort it, even better that it's at no cost to you.

Joints can also become noisy if theres been a slight hole in one of the dust covers. Always better to replace it anyway as grease is a nightmare to get into them properly and make it last.
Thanks mate, is the car still safe to drive?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It's hard to say. I drove mine around with play in a joint for a good few months before I replaced both front arms, never got round to doing it.

I'd say you'll be fine. If you can get it up on a jack again just check the wheel for movement, I couldn't feel any on mine and that was with a knackered joint, had to delve deeper to find that one. Good idea to check anyway though.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      04-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #5
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to say. I drove mine around with play in a joint for a good few months before I replaced both front arms, never got round to doing it.

I'd say you'll be fine. If you can get it up on a jack again just check the wheel for movement, I couldn't feel any on mine and that was with a knackered joint, had to delve deeper to find that one. Good idea to check anyway though.
Is it something that the BMW warranty would try to not pay or should they not fail at 16,500 miles, could it be classed as wear and tear, I did complain to BMW in September that I had a steering wobble at high speeds and a very slight vibration at slow speeds, I wonder if this could be the start of it?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Is it something that the BMW warranty would try to not pay or should they not fail at 16,500 miles, could it be classed as wear and tear, I did complain to BMW in September that I had a steering wobble at high speeds and a very slight vibration at slow speeds, I wonder if this could be the start of it?
They could try to get out of it yes. My opinion though is that, if it is a ball joint, it should last a lot longer than 16k miles. It is classed as wear and tear but it all depends on the warranty you have, some class wear and tear as brakes and clutches etc. I know you have fully comp bmw warranty so I would hope they would sort it for you no problem.

This could absolutely be the cause of both your wobble and vibration.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      04-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They could try to get out of it yes. My opinion though is that, if it is a ball joint, it should last a lot longer than 16k miles. It is classed as wear and tear but it all depends on the warranty you have, some class wear and tear as brakes and clutches etc. I know you have fully comp bmw warranty so I would hope they would sort it for you no problem.

This could absolutely be the cause of both your wobble and vibration.
Looking at the T&Cs I should be OK

Comprehensive Insured Warranty covers all mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle for defects - except the items listed below:

All exhaust components (except catalytic converter)
All service items which will require periodic replacement
Any item that has worn out which has covered more than 100,000 miles
Auxiliary drive belts
Batteries - including BMW i3 and BMW i8 high voltage and auxiliary batteries
Brake and clutch facings
Bulbs and fuses
Channels and guides
Cleaning or adjustment of any component/carbon/soot buildup
Coolant and fuel hoses
Discs and drums
Glass
Handles, hinges and check straps
Trim, upholstery and cosmetic finishes
Wheels and tyres
Wiper blades and arms
Weather strips and seals
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah you're good. If it needs a front arm, they call it a tension strut, I remember BMW telling me there was a bulletin to replace both arms even if it only needs one. Get them to look into this.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 03:55 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
The car has just developed a really loud creaking sound from the front right suspension, its really loud when turning the steering wheel and you can also hear it when the car drives over bumps.

I sounds like one of the rubber bushes but not sure which one as there are quite a few.

I have spoken with BMW assist who said nothing should be lubricated so it will be a failed component and i will have to wait until the lock down ends which is fine as i don't need to use it.

Not concerned as the car has an extended warranty but would be interested to hear your thoughts as to what it is. Car has covered 16,500 miles and is a 2016 build.
How is your suspension problem progressing, is the dealer opened up round your way yet. I know you said you're not driving it because you felt it wasn't safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 04:09 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
How is your suspension problem progressing, is the dealer opened up round your way yet. I know you said you're not driving it because you felt it wasn't safe.
Dealers are closed so its just sat in the garage doing nothing, will book it in once we end the lockdown
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
Afwaan
M5 Afwaan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Quote:

I had the same issues. Just changed my springs and problem solved!
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      05-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwaan View Post
I had the same issues. Just changed my springs and problem solved!
Was the spring broken?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #13
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

BMW have advised its a control arm on the nearside
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #14
J11SEK