05-24-2020, 02:19 AM   #23
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
Whats the easiest Apple Carplay upgrade that you can DIY for a beginner?

I have an F10 535 and 16 F10 M5 I may be interested to upgrade.
What year is your 535? If it's build date 09/12 or later, it will have the NBT headunit, before the CIC.
I purchased the Carlinkit wireless CarPlay unit, compatible for Apple and Android devices. It can be found on Amazon or Aliexpress, around $300 or less.
Installation wise I recommend the Bimmertech YouTube video, same steps, just slightly different unit. It's actually doable, just requires some spare time and patience. The result is astonishing and it works flawlessly:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #24
Pdubz_M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Singapore Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Quote:

What year is your 535? If it's build date 09/12 or later, it will have the NBT headunit, before the CIC.
I purchased the Carlinkit wireless CarPlay unit, compatible for Apple and Android devices. It can be found on Amazon or Aliexpress, around $300 or less.
Installation wise I recommend the Bimmertech YouTube video, same steps, just slightly different unit. It's actually doable, just requires some spare time and patience. The result is astonishing and it works flawlessly:
Sorry I just want to clarify, are you guys getting a new screen with this item from AliExpress? Or is this using the existing one mirroring your phone with the interface ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #25
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubz_M5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry I just want to clarify, are you guys getting a new screen with this item from AliExpress? Or is this using the existing one mirroring your phone with the interface ?
It's depending on the overall setup:
1. Interrupt MMI Interface: just box and wiring
2. Screen unit: new screen with integrated processor and wiring, with or without touch function
3. OEM Upgrade to NBT EVO with touchscreen

The first and cheapest solution does not come with a additional screen, you directly mirror your phone via WLAN. Here's a pic of my M Performance analyzer on my iPhone, mirrored to my regular screen:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:56 PM   #26
Pdubz_M5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2. Screen unit: new screen with integrated processor and wiring, with or without touch function

The first and cheapest solution does not come with a additional screen, you directly mirror your phone via WLAN. Here's a pic of my M Performance analyzer on my iPhone, mirrored to my regular screen:
Thanks, I am definitely thinking about option 1. Is the install just plug and play or does it require splicing of wires? I'm looking for something a novice can still install.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #27
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I am definitely thinking about option 1. Is the install just plug and play or does it require splicing of wires? I'm looking for something a novice can still install.
Option 1 is a great choice, especially from a cost standpoint. It's doable, just get trim removal tools and be careful with the connectors, many little parts that can break easily. If you take your time and do some research online, you will be fine. I recommend to watch the bimmertech YouTube video about the installation of their CarPlay unit and another one on how to remove the headunit:

Have fun and ask if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:50 AM   #28
Pdubz_M5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Option 1 is a great choice, especially from a cost standpoint. It's doable, just get trim removal tools and be careful with the connectors, many little parts that can break easily. If you take your time and do some research online, you will be fine. I recommend to watch the bimmertech YouTube video about the installation of their CarPlay unit and another one on how to remove the headunit:

Have fun and ask if you have any questions!
Thanks SCD
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #29
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I got my aliexpress kit last week and finally got around to installing it yesterday.

After living with it for 30 minutes I took it right out. Steering wheel controls drove me nuts, even after changing the setting to remove steering wheel control from the media box, CarPlay itself was just laggy, and the Idrive controller didn't work well with it.

It was definitely cool adding CarPlay to the car but I just couldn't handle how aftermarket it felt. That being said I'm trying to return it with aliexpree but if that doesn't work out it'll be for sale.
2013 F10 M5- Rest in peace
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #30
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I had a similar issue with a unit I got through Amazon. I contacted the seller and they sent a firmware update. It helped the latency issue but it did not help he color correction issue I had. At he end I returned the unit to Amazon last week.

I'm looking at trying the display unit which I hope will help the over all experience with touch controls. Crossing my fingers.
      06-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #31
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I installed my Carlinkit unit a few months ago and still enjoy the functionality, especially the iPhone mirroring. I accept the fact that it is not fully integrated like factory setup, it's still working fine and I'm happy to have a bit of modern technology in our aging monsters 👍🏻 the iDrive controls are lagging a tiny bit, still a cool system and for the money a nice addition. When I was in the market for a CarPlay solution, the touchscreen option just popped up. Another forum member installed one already and since I did my research, they came down a lot price
wise. I like the touch feature and might just upgrade soon, using the screen directly will offset the lag of the original controls. And the installation is much easier, since you only need to swap out the screen, not hook up a device to the main control unit, due to the fact that everything is built in the screen itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #32
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I installed my Carlinkit unit a few months ago and still enjoy the functionality, especially the iPhone mirroring. I accept the fact that it is not fully integrated like factory setup, it's still working fine and I'm happy to have a bit of modern technology in our aging monsters 👍🏻 the iDrive controls are lagging a tiny bit, still a cool system and for the money a nice addition. When I was in the market for a CarPlay solution, the touchscreen option just popped up. Another forum member installed one already and since I did my research, they came down a lot price
wise. I like the touch feature and might just upgrade soon, using the screen directly will offset the lag of the original controls. And the installation is much easier, since you only need to swap out the screen, not hook up a device to the main control unit, due to the fact that everything is built in the screen itself.

I don’t think touchscreen is something that really works well in our cars or BMW's in general.

I've driven plenty newer model year BMWs that have factory touch screen, i feel like the screen is miles away from my arms reach rendering it useless when im cruising or want to do something.

Either way Ali vendor doesn't seem to care that the product sucks so i may end up reinstalling because im stuck with it anyway.
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58910.50
      06-25-2020, 04:15 AM   #33
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabs1815 View Post
I don’t think touchscreen is something that really works well in our cars or BMW's in general.

I've driven plenty newer model year BMWs that have factory touch screen, i feel like the screen is miles away from my arms reach rendering it useless when im cruising or want to do something.

Either way Ali vendor doesn't seem to care that the product sucks so i may end up reinstalling because im stuck with it anyway.
Completely agree. Have seen many tv ads for A-Class with touch screen too much at the head enhanced for saleability.Things happen quickly in an M or AMG and there's simply too much info on such a screen to focus and register then touching it when pushing on driving where concentration is paramount.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #34
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I disagree. I had major issues with color correction on my unit. They offered FW updates but it was never fixed. The touch screen is needed especially when it takes up to 20 turns oof the idrive wheel to get to Siri/home button. or if you want to go to the next page you have to go through every single app on the first page then it will scroll to the next page. Car play was developed for touch screens but retrofitted to still work with non-touch entertainment systems. at the end of the day $200 is a welcomed upgrade.
      06-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #35
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfM5 View Post
I disagree. I had major issues with color correction on my unit. They offered FW updates but it was never fixed. The touch screen is needed especially when it takes up to 20 turns oof the idrive wheel to get to Siri/home button. or if you want to go to the next page you have to go through every single app on the first page then it will scroll to the next page. Car play was developed for touch screens but retrofitted to still work with non-touch entertainment systems. at the end of the day $200 is a welcomed upgrade.
Exact reason I want to upgrade to a touchscreen now
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #36
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfM5 View Post
Agreed 100% carplay needs a touch screen to really use it seamlessly.

My point was more that touchscreens in general are not very good in BMWs due to the distance between the screen and driver seat position.

While its a annoying to spin the iDrive wheel 20 times, id be more annoyed sitting up and reaching each time for the touchscreen.
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58910.50
      06-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #37
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I wouldn't swap my i-drive wheel, now double the size and taller from standard, for anything.I've tried the touch screens of other cars in showrooms and not for me.
Appreciate 0