M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-20-2021, 01:16 AM   #5611
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
lol, well Moddie got me on the DPMS BB gun, so its only fair I put a bug in someone else's mind about another gun.

But if you are serious, hold off for a while and PM me in a month or so, I can report back with some real world experience then.

My brother took it out to the range (knowing that based on the reviews, the springs are stiff and it needs to be worked in, so the first few times were going to be rough) so he was expecting that, but the gun didn't cycle ANY of the frangible buckshot he got from the ammo guys.

That said, it was apparently absolutely shite ammo, they ran that ammo through 870's and they weren't cycling it either because the brass lip at the bottom of the shell was ramped instead of more of a lip, so the ejector couldn't get a good purchase on it. Plus, the husks were also expanding in the barrel so it was just apparently bad all around. Guys were losing their minds, bunch of them wrote up reports to instruct the ammo guys not to ever buy this stuff again.

So its probably the ammo, but there were other factors too, so not a good first showing overall, but he's trying to figure out which was what. He's going out again this weekend and going non frangible and different ammo this time.

Plus, maybe I can work my way up there in a month or so and get my grubby little hands on it to play with it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Bad ammo can really ruin your day. I'm looking forward to hearing more.
DPMS was originally a MN company and fairly local to me. I've deployed with guys that have worked for them and when they were still a MN company the quality was good and they were the rifle to get. I cant speak much for them now that Remington owns the brand and manufactures them. I have a DPMS 5.56 that I got when it was still a MN based small town company. It is true that the springs they come with are stiff and noisy. The only issue I have with it is it ejects most casings to the 1-2 o'clock position vs 3-4 o'clock, but it cycles fine so I haven't messed with it.

5.56 PMC 55gr seems to shoot just fine, boxed AE 55gr shoots fine, but AE Federal 62gr green can ammo jams at least once every few mags.

.223 always seems to shoot fine regardless.

I've never shot frangible ammo through it, but it's likely that they don't have enough pressure to cycle the bolt properly, especially with the stiff spring of the DPMS. We have this problem with blank ammo even after using the blank adapter. Granted blanks are quite a bit less pressure, but same principle.

Last edited by ///d; 10-20-2021 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #5612
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
DPMS was originally a MN company and fairly local to me. I've deployed with guys that have worked for them and when they were still a MN company the quality was good and they were the rifle to get. I cant speak much for them now that Remington owns the brand and manufactures them. I have a DPMS 5.56 that I got when it was still a MN based small town company. It is true that the springs they come with are stiff and noisy. The only issue I have with it is it ejects most casings to the 1-2 o'clock position vs 3-4 o'clock, but it cycles fine so I haven't messed with it.

5.56 PMC 55gr seems to shoot just fine, boxed AE 55gr shoots fine, but AE Federal 62gr green can ammo jams at least once every few mags.

I've never shot frangible ammo through it, but it's likely that they don't have enough pressure to cycle the bolt properly, especially with the stiff spring of the DPMS. We have this problem with blank ammo even after using the blank adapter. Granted blanks are quite a bit less pressure, but same principle.
Oh, the DPMS was a different gun that I got.

I was telling Murf about another gun - the Canuck Operator, its a 12G semi patterned after the Benelli M4. The operator has stiff springs, but it was also chewing on some pretty crappy ammo by the sounds of it too.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #5613
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post

Agreed - when Randy owned and ran the place - the name meant something different. It was one of the AR's to have. I still have one of the BULL 20's from that time. I finally shot the barrel out of it and converted it to a 300 HAM'R a few years ago, but most of the rest of it remained the same. You are right though - it had a noisy spring in it from the factory! I changed it to a pneumatic set up pretty quick - which got rid of the noise completely.

One of the funny things - back then it was all DPMS vs Bushmaster. In the DPMS office (I think in Randy's office?) there was a statue of a panther (DPMS mascot) holding a dead snake (Bushmaster mascot) in it's mouth. LOL
      10-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #5614
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
The M9A1-22 I ordered on Saturday for my kid is here. Threaded barrel and more mags shipping today from Beretta USA.

Appreciate 8
Murf99314114.00
upstatedoc7555.50
dtox9336.00
Dang3r12503.00
ggunn9160.00
      10-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #5615
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i SMG

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Built an AR a few years back and got back from hog hunting two weekends ago. Sighted in and scoped out from 100 yards to 300 yards with small groups of 5 rounds. Very happy with how it shot.

And I bring a .38 special.

Just got an invite from wifey's dad this week to go hunting on his land for a few deer so will be taking daughters boyfriend out and teach him to shoot, hunt, and clean. Will be getting a new elk rifle for that, I think in 6.5 creedmoor. Planning an elk hunt with my brother in CO or NM later this year.

Getting the wife a new pistol this year for xmas, probably an M&P Shield 9mm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #5616
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinZ4 View Post
Built an AR a few years back and got back from hog hunting two weekends ago. Sighted in and scoped out from 100 yards to 300 yards with small groups of 5 rounds. Very happy with how it shot.

Just got an invite from wifey's dad this week to go hunting on his land for a few deer so will be taking daughters boyfriend out and teach him to shoot, hunt, and clean. Will be getting a new elk rifle for that, I think in 6.5 creedmoor. Planning an elk hunt with my brother in CO or NM later this year.

Right after you gut the deer is the perfect time to have that heart to heart talk with the future son in law.....
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #5617
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Right after you gut the deer is the perfect time to have that heart to heart talk with the future son in law.....
And remind him about the tradition of taking a bite of the liver.......

Last edited by unluky; 10-29-2021 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #5618
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:

I'm selling mine. I live next door in Louisiana. I've shot it maybe 5 times. It has the crimson laser sight built in. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer Glocks.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      10-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #5619
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
I'm selling mine. I live next door in Louisiana. I've shot it maybe 5 times. It has the crimson laser sight built in. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer Glocks.
I tried hard to like the shield, I just never did.

I carried one for a while IWB, the mag release rusted and got stuck, this was not a neglected gun.

I also don't love Glocks (I have a bunch of them and they were my go-to for many years), they are very good guns, I have just spoiled myself with guns that I like better.

for a small carry/pocket gun I like the Kahr PM9, it costs a bit more, but when you shoot it, or take it apart to clean it you will know where your money went.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #5620
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post

I carried one for a while IWB, the mag release rusted and got stuck, this was not a neglected gun.

I also don't love Glocks (I have a bunch of them and they were my go-to for many years), they are very good guns, I have just spoiled myself with guns that I like better.

for a small carry/pocket gun I like the Kahr PM9, it costs a bit more, but when you shoot it, or take it apart to clean it you will know where your money went.
Same issue with the Shield, kind of wish the release was plastic instead of metal lol.

PM9 is a great carry gun, trigger is so smooth. I just wish it had more capacity.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #5621
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I personally love the CZ-75b. Had one chambered in .40 and it was the best shooting gun ever tried. But it is a large frame and her hand is on the smaller side so finding one to fit her that she can fire easily for fun is a necessity. Definitely up for looking at other options, but not Glocks.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #5622
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

.38 is good back up for hog huntin?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #5623
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

I've carried an XDS .45 ever since they came out...
just feels good... but 5+1 these days - - ugh.
(+ two backup mags / don't judge - lol)

Earlier this year I bought the Hellcat to make the switch.
Higher capacity, lower recoil, and the same proven reliability (I hope).

Haven't made the opportunity to go break it in and shoot it yet...
so it sits in the wings awaiting deployment. I won't carry it until
I have at least a couple of boxes through it to know for sure it will
perform the way I expect it to.

I tried to switch over to the shield a few years back...
Just couldn't force myself to like it... not as comfortable in my hand.
It just sits in the safe looking pretty.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #5624
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Same issue with the Shield, kind of wish the release was plastic instead of metal lol.

PM9 is a great carry gun, trigger is so smooth. I just wish it had more capacity.
Yeah, tradeoffs. The PM9 spare mags carried in a pocket tend to puke a round or two every couple of day, so thats not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #5625
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Maybe with a +P load. Otherwise, definitely not. I use it for snakes if needed.
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7555.50
      10-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #5626
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post

I fell out of love with my Shield. After about 500 rounds I kept having issues with the slide jamming due to the flat finger spring disengaging from the slide stop block.

Then after issues with SW customer service, I decided Im done with it. We went back and forth for 8 months with them supposedly shipping the replacement part, then come to find out they wont actually send it (after a dozen emails and months of waiting) and I need to ship my firearm to them because its "factory replacement only". So needless to say, ill pass on anything SW.

I replaced it with a Hellcat OSP.
      10-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #5627
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I fell out of love with my Shield. After about 500 rounds I kept having issues with the slide jamming due to the flat finger spring disengaging from the slide stop block.

Then after issues with SW customer service, I decided Im done with it. We went back and forth for 8 months with them supposedly shipping the replacement part, then come to find out they wont actually send it (after a dozen emails and months of waiting) and I need to ship my firearm to them because its "factory replacement only". So needless to say, ill pass on anything SW.

I replaced it with a Hellcat OSP.
I don't love the M&P line personally, but I do love my S&W wheel guns, and my Model 41
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #5628
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Not American, and not familiar with hog hunting, but could see that you would be in an area where you would reasonably expect to find a snake. What I don't understand is how you'd manage to shoot a snake with a pistol round while its moving about (and perhaps advancing on you)? That has to be a hard target to hit?

Without knowing why, seems to me if I was worried about snakes and wanted a snake gun, I'd be looking for a revolver that can handle .410 shotshells?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #5629
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Hog huntin ain't no joke. Ever been charged?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #5630
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not American, and not familiar with hog hunting, but could see that you would be in an area where you would reasonably expect to find a snake. What I don't understand is how you'd manage to shoot a snake with a pistol round while its moving about (and perhaps advancing on you)? That has to be a hard target to hit?

Without knowing why, seems to me if I was worried about snakes and wanted a snake gun, I'd be looking for a revolver that can handle .410 shotshells?
You can get shot shells for 38/357
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #5631
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:

Not a hard target to hit as they don't move "that" fast. .22lr revolvers with 12 rounds is a common snake gun. 410's are definitely overkill. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, and random other snake all in the hunting land. And we're talking distances of maybe 3 yards at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc
Hog huntin ain't no joke. Ever been charged?
Not yet. The last two I took had mama around and she wasn't happy but stayed back in the trees. Getting a thermal scope for my next night out and can be on the offense vs sit-n-wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #5632
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Getting a thermal scope for my next night out and can be on the offense vs sit-n-wait.
I'm in! When are we going?
Appreciate 1