M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Indoor Rowing

Thought we could use a thread for those of us who use a rowing machine. Post up your workouts, software, things you do while rowing (like watching TV or whatever).

I've learned a lot about rowing machine techniques from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TrainingTall

He's a bit over the top sometimes, but his info is good stuff.

I post my rowing workouts along with my rides and walks on Strava. I just wish there was a rowing equivalent to Fulgaz or Zwift. Something to help pass the time while rowing.

(And shoei, I tried answering your PM, but it says your Inbox is full.)

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      09-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I enjoy a nice row after my workout as some follow-up cardio. A 2:15/500M is a typical leisurely pace for myself - usually only row for about 15mins or 3000m. 3000m is usually right around 13mins. I've never really focused on it, but it is nice, especially when I'm relatively tight in the mornings. I'll have to see what machines are at my gym, I forget off the top of my head, they're quite nice though!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Thought we could use a thread for those of us who use a rowing machine. Post up your workouts, software, things you do while rowing (like watching TV or whatever).

I post my rowing workouts along with my rides and walks on Strava. I just wish there was a rowing equivalent to Fulgaz or Zwift. Something to help pass the time while rowing.

(And shoei, I tried answering your PM, but it says your Inbox is full.)
Thanks man. You da best.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

Quote:

Thank. I'll have to look at his videos. Another option for videos is Dark Horse Rowing. I also like the Concept2 forum:
https://www.c2forum.com/
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:08 AM   #5
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Short row this morning after my lift. Spent another 15mins on the stair master following.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:27 AM   #6
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Subbing as a newb
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Upped the pace a little this morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Upped the pace a little this morning.
I still haven't figured out what half the shit on the screen means.

I just set the time for 30mins and row straight for 30. The drum dials set on 5. 24-28 strokes.
Heart rate keep it around 140-150.

It's boring as all hell but worth it, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #9
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I still haven't figured out what half the shit on the screen means.

I just set the time for 30mins and row straight for 30. The drum dials set on 5. 24-28 strokes.
Heart rate keep it around 140-150.

It's boring as all hell but worth it, lol.
I'm a rookie myself. I believe my form is pretty good and smooth, but I do row on a high damper setting on purpose. Just because I am looking for more of a muscular fatigue then cardiovascular endurance. Meaning I want my quads to be burning not just to be out of breathe. Though from what I read, rowing on a high damper setting is not "realistic". Meaning in actual rowing the damper is much lower ~4-5.

I don't get bored usually because I am pushing the entire time. If I rowed at 5 damper for 30 mins straight just looking for consistency on strokes then I would probably get a little bored as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #10
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I wish someone would come up with a program for rowing like Zwift or Fulgaz for indoor cycling. Those two programs make indoor cycling much more enjoyable. I guess there just aren't enough indoor rowers to make such a program financially viable. There are YouTube videos of rowing, but they're just videos with no input from the rower, so you can sit perfectly still and the video keeps playing. In Zwift or Fulgaz, pedaling gets harder on the uphill portions and easier on the downhill parts. And they both run faster or slower depending on how much power you put down. Stop pedaling and the video stops. I use Fulgaz all the time.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      09-15-2021, 12:34 AM   #11
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I wish someone would come up with a program for rowing like Zwift or Fulgaz for indoor cycling. Those two programs make indoor cycling much more enjoyable. I guess there just aren't enough indoor rowers to make such a program financially viable. There are YouTube videos of rowing, but they're just videos with no input from the rower, so you can sit perfectly still and the video keeps playing. In Zwift or Fulgaz, pedaling gets harder on the uphill portions and easier on the downhill parts. And they both run faster or slower depending on how much power you put down. Stop pedaling and the video stops. I use Fulgaz all the time.
Same. Also find it annoying to utilize Strava I have to back door it and it requires other apps. Just not worth it.

I guess it's just row away listening to tunes lol. Although, there's something almost meditating like listening to the drum as you row.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #12
MikeBikes
Rep
Drives: 2014 Seven Ti Road Bike

Totally worth it - best workout ever. Only way my heart rate goes higher is when Mercedes drivers are trying to kill me while cycling on the roads of Chicago...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 05:50 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I'm back to rowing again. My younger brother was staying with us from just before Thanksgiving to just after the New Year, so my Pain Cave became his bedroom. Now that he's gone, it's all set up again for riding and rowing. I've started using a program called EXR for rowing. Very much like Zwift for rowers. It works well with the Concept2 rower and Strava and beats the hell out of just looking at the numbers on the PM5 screen.

https://exrgame.com/
Attached Images

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      01-21-2023, 08:16 AM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

aka "erg"

I was on the crew team in HS. My sister rowed for Duke with a girl from Denmark who was in the last olympics, cousin rowed for Harvard & Cambridge as did her husband. Good times.

Fantastic full body workout... I prefer using kettlebells for a similar cardio/weight affect, I get so bored using erg's, takes a lot of focus and discipline. Good on anyone for using one with any regularity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 2
M_Six16536.50
      01-21-2023, 09:13 AM   #15
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

My wife and I bought a water rower last year. I have to say that we, I enjoy it more than a treadmill, stairclimber, elliptical or stationary bike. It's a good full body workout and easy on an aging body. I'm not sure if our monitor is accurate, if were not working hard enough but my numbers seem pretty low compared to others. I usually do about a 35 minute workout for 5000M, I have good heart rate throughout, and feel that pushing much harder would be excessive.
Appreciate 3
M_Six16536.50
Soul_Glo13282.50
      01-21-2023, 09:37 AM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

35min for 5k is pretty good. I'm working my way up to 5k. Last row was 3.8k. I'm not so much concerned with performance numbers as I am with just getting a good workout without screwing up my shoulder muscles (traps), which I've done in the past. I also ride on the trainer, so getting in an hour workout between rowing and riding keeps both exercises fairly short.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2023, 09:43 AM   #17
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
35min for 5k is pretty good. I'm working my way up to 5k. Last row was 3.8k. I'm not so much concerned with performance numbers as I am with just getting a good workout without screwing up my shoulder muscles (traps), which I've done in the past. I also ride on the trainer, so getting in an hour workout between rowing and riding keeps both exercises fairly short.
My only concern is a good workout that I don't hate doing (I actually like it with headphones and tunes) and no injuries. When we got the thing I did a lot of reading on workouts etc and after I started rowing though my numbers seemed way low compared to what rowing workout sites were suggesting.

I am actually pretty happy with the workout over all. Were in Florida for 2 months right now and kind of miss the workouts, walking a ton though. I do love the 80F weather.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16536.50
      01-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #18
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Tonight I did 5250m in 30 minutes on EXR and then 10 miles in 32 minutes on Fulgaz. I'm going to try to keep to the 30 and 30 routine, but I know from trying it in the past it isn't easy.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2023, 02:17 PM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I have been using my water rower for several years. Love it.

This may be useful to anyone trying to improve their cardiovascular health with their rower:

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowe...max-calculator
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 03:41 PM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Slowly getting back into it. EXR makes it easier to slog through 30 minutes.
Attached Images

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #21
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I row a few times a week, with Tuesdays generally being the longer one. It's all Concept equipment. I have a long-standing issue I'm working on correcting where my right hamstring and lower part of glute are weaker than left side. For a very long time, I'd try to create hip extension via back extension which would leave my right-lower back hurting and also piss of some nerves and make my left foot start to go numb after about 12 minutes. No longer have that issue, but I still favor the left side and have to consciously try and keep effort equally split between legs. One side effect of this is calluses on my hands. I've noticed as I've started correcting this last imbalance, I'm getting a more symmetrical pattern of calluses between hands. Pretty interesting to me how the body tries to compensate. Also had a problem with dumping shoulder presses (left side) into upper pec instead of scap and lat, which also affected my rowing due to those being weaker than the right.
Appreciate 2
M_Six16536.50
Soul_Glo13282.50
      01-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #22
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

My biggest issue is slouching. I really have to concentrate to keep my back straight. It all comes down to a weak core, which is why I took up rowing in the first place. I just need to stick with it. Also, when I first started rowing I was too concerned about s/m counts and splits. I was pushing too hard to get the numbers I thought I should have. I ended up torturing my traps and had a nasty sore shoulder/neck issue for weeks. So this time around, I'm just looking for a decent heart rate and slowly watching my split times get better.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
nerdogray1274.00
Soul_Glo13282.50