M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
nencmeister
Private
nencmeister's Avatar
18
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: M5 F10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Speakers went bonkers, ground issue?

Hey everyone,

My speakers have been intermittently messing up, staticky.. past couple of weeks. Today I pulled out of work and they just stop working!

No volume at all! Not even backup sensor noises!

Has to be a ground issue, anyone know where the ground for the amp/speakers are? I have the B&O system..

Ironically today I cleaned my MAF sensors, redid my tune, I donít know what I could have done to do this. Really sounds like a grounding issue.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
'13 M5 Singapore Grey, Exec Package, B&O, STG1 BM3 93 oct
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
796
Rep
1,607
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nencmeister View Post
Hey everyone,

My speakers have been intermittently messing up, staticky.. past couple of weeks. Today I pulled out of work and they just stop working!

No volume at all! Not even backup sensor noises!

Has to be a ground issue, anyone know where the ground for the amp/speakers are? I have the B&O system..

Ironically today I cleaned my MAF sensors, redid my tune, I don’t know what I could have done to do this. Really sounds like a grounding issue.

Thanks in advance!
Haven't got the B&O on mine, hate to say but the amps on these can give trouble.Check in the trunk all the connections are in place for the amp, fuses etc.if it was a loose speaker connection then they are rubber covered so unlikely there to ground..You'll have to take the amp for testing to a specialist unless you have all systems warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
nencmeister
Private
nencmeister's Avatar
18
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: M5 F10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Haven't got the B&O on mine, hate to say but the amps on these can give trouble.Check in the trunk all the connections are in place for the amp, fuses etc.if it was a loose speaker connection then they are rubber covered so unlikely there to ground..You'll have to take the amp for testing to a specialist unless you have all systems warranty.
Thanks for the advice! Yes I do have a full warranty but my local dealer is very difficult to get in to. I really do not like servicing my car there. Next appointment is in 10 days!

I will check the connections and fuses, I have just never taken the lining off the trunk, I am leaning towards an amp issue as well

Thank you! And any more advice would be appreciated!
__________________
'13 M5 Singapore Grey, Exec Package, B&O, STG1 BM3 93 oct
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Washabi
Private First Class
Washabi's Avatar
United_States
113
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition Package
Join Date: May 2017
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1995 Porsche 911  [0.00]
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sounds similar to the ordeal that I had with my B&O system. Initially, I would get blips of static from one or two speakers and then eventually, the entire system died. I was getting no music, bluetooth, etc. as well as no alert tones from the parking sensors. I ended up replacing my amp, which fixed everything. Here is my thread on the issue if you want to read into it to see if you are having the same problems as I had,

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585268
__________________
'14 BMW F10 M5 - Competition
'95 Porsche 993 - RSR Tribute
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
nencmeister
Private
nencmeister's Avatar
18
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: M5 F10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washabi View Post
Sounds similar to the ordeal that I had with my B&O system. Initially, I would get blips of static from one or two speakers and then eventually, the entire system died. I was getting no music, bluetooth, etc. as well as no alert tones from the parking sensors. I ended up replacing my amp, which fixed everything. Here is my thread on the issue if you want to read into it to see if you are having the same problems as I had,

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585268
Same exact issue taking my car to the dealer Tuesday, I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty which says it covers CD players, electronics etc. I sure hope it's covered. At least to get it diagnosed officially, worst case I do what you did and find a used amp. Can't sit in silence lol

Thanks for the response Washabi
__________________
'13 M5 Singapore Grey, Exec Package, B&O, STG1 BM3 93 oct
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
technician117
First Lieutenant
United_States
105
Rep
332
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I agree it sounds like the amp. It's a common failure unfortunately. We need to get a shop to start repairing these and offer as rebuilt. I have my old one still... everything worked but the bass.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST