BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-29-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
keefyb
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibasuta View Post
Was sold with it on, i take it the garage didnt notice. So im assuming one of the previous two owners fitted it. Have no idea how long these have been around?? (first being registered to a lease company)

I was deactivating stop start tech, which in turn by accident i was activating the blocker. Then i started to look into it.

Never even knew they existed! BMW tech said to me it had to be a blocker, and they got the car in and found it.

So far...the garage i got it from is not taking responsibility.
Hi. Can i just check exactly how you knew? Do you mean that when you deactivated the stop/start and drove a few miles, the odometer stayed on the same mileage?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #24
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Glad it's all resolved what a crap situation I didn't know devices like that existed either
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #25
ravibasuta
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefyb View Post
Quote:
Was sold with it on, i take it the garage didnt notice. So im assuming one of the previous two owners fitted it. Have no idea how long these have been around?? (first being registered to a lease company)

I was deactivating stop start tech, which in turn by accident i was activating the blocker. Then i started to look into it.

Never even knew they existed! BMW tech said to me it had to be a blocker, and they got the car in and found it.

So far...the garage i got it from is not taking responsibility.
Hi. Can i just check exactly how you knew? Do you mean that when you deactivated the stop/start and drove a few miles, the odometer stayed on the same mileage?
Yes basically works vis stop start button.

I dont use that tech so im always turning it off (bug bear of mine with BMW!) started noticing the mileage wasnt counting. Turn it on then odoneter counted.

Never knew it existed until i did some research and looked on ebay!!!!
      05-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #26
ravibasuta
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Glad it's all resolved what a crap situation I didn't know devices like that existed either
Thanks pal. Yeh eye opener. Day and age of pcps leases etc im sure a lot of cars have been tampered with.
      07-01-2019, 07:07 AM   #27
paszczaq
Rep
Drives: F34

I found one at the back of my instrument cluster...

Perfect solution for people to avoid PCP penalties or for taxi/uber drivers

The morale is that currently you can buy odometer blocker for ALL BMW cars for a fraction of potential value loss (especially if you're doing high mileage).

So when it comes to buying... check for any anomalies, gear knob and stirring wheel condition, has cluster been removed and why etc etc....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:27 AM   #28
ravibasuta
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paszczaq View Post
I found one at the back of my instrument cluster...

Perfect solution for people to avoid PCP penalties or for taxi/uber drivers

The morale is that currently you can buy odometer blocker for ALL BMW cars for a fraction of potential value loss (especially if you're doing high mileage).

So when it comes to buying... check for any anomalies, gear knob and stirring wheel condition, has cluster been removed and why etc etc....
Yeh looking back the steering wheel had more shine that you'd expect....have to go in thinking these things now. Just be aware
      07-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #29
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Yeh looking back the steering wheel had more shine that you'd expect....have to go in thinking these things now. Just be aware
One or two others might be getting a shock when they press their stop/start cancel for the first time and drive it.What a can of worms undiscovered until now.
Appreciate 0