M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

05-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Any way to get traffic information on map like 2012 BMW navs?

I recently leased a 2014 BMW M5, while trading in a 2012 335is convertible. I love the way the traffic notification images would pull up on the nav map. You would just see color (red, yellow, orange) for different levels of congestion. The new Idrive map shows green for clear streets with no traffic and other colors for traffic. The green ( and it's a lot of green) is very distracting and takes the focus away from where there is traffic. I commute quite a bit during the week and having a better view of traffic would be helpful. Any way to summon a older style traffic display map? Am I missing an option somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz
I recently leased a 2014 BMW M5, while trading in a 2012 335is convertible. I love the way the traffic notification images would pull up on the nav map. You would just see color (red, yellow, orange) for different levels of congestion. The new Idrive map shows green for clear streets with no traffic and other colors for traffic. The green ( and it's a lot of green) is very distracting and takes the focus away from where there is traffic. I commute quite a bit during the week and having a better view of traffic would be helpful. Any way to summon a older style traffic display map? Am I missing an option somewhere?
Might need sat. Radio if im not mistaking
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

I have satellite radio. It comes with a 1 year Sirius subscription. It displays traffic, just not as clear as the 2012 Idrive, unless I haven't found a setting I'm not aware of
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz
I have satellite radio. It comes with a 1 year Sirius subscription. It displays traffic, just not as clear as the 2012 Idrive, unless I haven't found a setting I'm not aware of
Play with your settings on the left side of your map, its similar than the 2012 version
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL View Post
Play with your settings on the left side of your map, its similar than the 2012 version
I did again this A.M.. Still shows green lines every where for no traffic. Want to make it so just the colored lines show up for where traffic is only.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

@Vanditz

When there is no destination entered you will get green yellow and red lines showing traffic congestion.

When you have a dest entered into the navigation, you will receive on screen alerts for traffic/setting detours/etc. I also find that traffic data is more accurate when you have a destination active.

I use the gray map.. I find it easier to look at. Go to the map and push the iDrive controller to the right to get to the options section. You can change to gray map there. Other traffic options/views are available when you go to the map screen, then on the left menu bar click the "triangle !" logo, and you'll see traffic related info there.

Mercedes and Porsche use Sirius XM for traffic. I am pretty sure BMW does not, and instead uses connected drive. If you can see green lines, your getting traffic indications. Next time your in traffic take a look at the map.
      06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Thx Avinch. I have played around with all of the map settings. I just like the way the old Idrive did the maps. Why put green lines for no traffic? It just makes the map look too busy and hard to see areas of congestion. The old Idrive only put the yellow, orange and red lines on the map. Much cleaner. Thx for the info about putting in a destination for more accurate traffic info.
Appreciate 0