BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #1
Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 LCi

As the car will sit in the driveway during winter months was thinking of getting a cover to protect it.

Does anyone use one and more importantly recommend a good one?

I was looking at the Storm force cover from Carcovers.uk
https://www.carscovers.co.uk/bmw-5-s...wards-f10.html
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:27 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Personally I am not sure how good an idea they are.

Would a cover not trap humidity/damp under them which could cause issues when stood for long periods of time?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:22 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I agree with OE it's not a good idea with blowing winds putting dust and dirt under the cover and rubbing underneath.A neighbour has erected one of these up and over covers that does not actually touch the car.
Appreciate 1
Mravant25.50
      05-17-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

If the car is stood outside for long periods you need to watch the brake discs and pads, these can corrode and the pads can bind if stood to long.

This can lead to high spots which means potentially they will be scrap.

It happened to me when I bought a used car that had been stood outside with the previous owner

It maybe more about washing the car then leaving it standing but its a watchout
Appreciate 1
Mravant25.50
      05-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Dilemma.....
want to cover it over the winter months, the covers do state they have vents but totally hear you about dust getting in from underneath.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      05-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
If the car is stood outside for long periods you need to watch the brake discs and pads, these can corrode and the pads can bind if stood to long.

This can lead to high spots which means potentially they will be scrap.

It happened to me when I bought a used car that had been stood outside with the previous owner

It maybe more about washing the car then leaving it standing but its a watchout
If that was the case then the car should have been driven on clear dry days to keep the discs clean.Alternatively some wheel covers could have been used to cover the wheels up preventing rain falling onto the disc surfaces and ruining them after a while.
It goes without saying that when car is washed it should then be driven to dry out the discs.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
If that was the case then the car should have been driven on clear dry days to keep the discs clean.Alternatively some wheel covers could have been used to cover the wheels up preventing rain falling onto the disc surfaces and ruining them after a while.
It goes without saying that when car is washed it should then be driven to dry out the discs.
You don't say...….
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mravant View Post
Dilemma.....
want to cover it over the winter months, the covers do state they have vents but totally hear you about dust getting in from underneath.
I get where you are coming from as mine tends to stop in the garage in the winter however if its off the road and on your property I would think its better to be left uncovered.

I would give it a really good wash and wax etc before winter which will give you a warmer feeling about it standing outside.

Are you able to rent a garage for 6 months of the year
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Mravant
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mravant View Post
Dilemma.....
I get where you are coming from as mine tends to stop in the garage in the winter however if its off the road and on your property I would think its better to be left uncovered.

I would give it a really good wash and wax etc before winter which will give you a warmer feeling about it standing outside.

Are you able to rent a garage for 6 months of the year
More like 10 months of the year

Stupidly enough we demolished our garage last year to accommodate a bigger garden, how stupid was I!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:11 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

These up and over covers with a frame are your solution I think.I would have one if i didn't have a garage..a neighbour demonstrated his one to me closing it and opening in seconds and you'd have your clean polished car looking the same as when you put it in without dust or rusty discs.
Appreciate 2
Mravant25.50
OneExtra809.50
      02-18-2020, 03:18 AM   #11
jevylara
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW EX5

Your car is a huge investment. You, therefore, have to put in some work and money into protecting it and ensuring that it can serve you for the most extended period. Excellent maintenance and care are equivalent to a more extended serving vehicle, and while there is a lot you can do to keep your car safe, the first and most crucial step is protecting it from the day to day harsh elements. i forund a website here you can chose best outdoor car cover, Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #12
jevylara
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW EX5

How do you ensure that your car stays in good condition all the time? The secret is buying the best car covers on the market. Having a car cover is vital especially if you do not have a garage. It protects your car from dings, dents, scratches and hazardous weather condition. For the best protection, you should look for a car cover that fits properly.

For most people, buying a car cover can be a tough job. How do you know which type of car cover is suitable for you? What are some of the most important things that you should have in mind when you are buying a car cover? Visit for more details: heavy duty waterproof car covers
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I wouldn’t buy that white one because the diagram shows that it clearly doesn’t cover the whole car
Appreciate 0