M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

View Poll Results: F10 M5 Or Bust
Get the M5 with a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires 5 41.67%
Get the M5, with a cheaper second car, garage queen the M5 during off season 7 58.33%
"Road's closed Pizza Boy"Don't have a second car? Get back into a lease, find cheaper enthusiast car 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

04-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Looking to get into an F10 M5 have some questions

Hey all, I am soon to be in the market for a new car, and an F10 M5 is high on my list right now. I have owned 2 E60 M5's previously, and a bunch of older 5 Series/3 series in general in the past.

I took a 2 year hiatus from having a "Fun" car, as I was in the process of buying my house. I got into an affordable lease for the sake of saving money for the big transaction. Finally have proper garage storage for an enthusiast car and since my lease is coming to an end I am shopping around.

I have a couple scenarios that would like to get some feedback on, especially anyone who lives in the Northeast or colder climates. Basically trying to weigh my options for a possible "necessary" second vehicle if I get the F10, as opposed to just getting a set of winter tires and driving the F10 about 50-75% of the year. I do get snow storms raging up to 2' in my area, and I take about 10 trips a year to see my folks, about 500 miles round trip. I do have a company car, so don't have to worry about my daily commute, but I cannot use said company car for personal, so the F10 would be an Evening/Weekend warrior.

Here are the options I am thinking of:

1. Get the M5 and a dedicated set of snow wheels/tires, and drive it during winter months as well. Will not come out during heavy snow, or bad storms.

2. Get the M5 and a cheaper 2nd car, and garage queen the M5 during the off season months.

3.If you don't already have a second dedicated daily use vehicle. Don't bother getting an M5. Get back into a lease and find a cheaper enthusiast car. "Road's closed pizza Boy"

Really just trying to justify if I need that second car. Its hard to just pay for a second car, when I technically have a car to commute. If so, can anyone share some decent second car options you have. I would also love to hear from anyone that possibly daily drives one of these beasts all year round.

I am in love with the F10 M5, after having an F10 535, and wanting something a bit more modern than going back into an E60 or something older. I had both an E60 M5 and an E46 M3 prior to purchasing my house. I thought I wanted a coupe, as much as people love the E46, it wasn't for me
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
ECB
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, e46 M3,f10 M5, 997.1tt

I just picked mine up in January and have enjoyed it thus far. I have an e46 m3 and an e39 m5 as well. I do appreciate the more modern technology in some ways. I don't have to deal with the winters like you do, so I can't really answer your questions. Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

If you had to use it for commuting, I'd say get a second car, but given you don't, I say get winter wheels and tires. Sets actually come up for sale here on a not terribly infrequent basis.

I know there's folks on here who drive it in the winter.
Hopefully they'll chime in.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

i'm probably in the minority but i am driving my m5 year round.

several reasons: one of which is that i am getting older and having a truer sports car and the rough ride that comes with it is not welcome any longer. as is having to garage 2 vehicles of my own and one for my wife. my last 2-vehicle set-ups were: e46 m3 + yukon & f80 m3 + yukon.

before purchasing the m5 i had done enough research through the forum and consulted real world drivers to where i felt confident the f10 m5 was drivable in winter - allowing me to retire an old, and somewhat costly, habit. covid helped, too, in that i don't have to drive to the office any longer ... and won't for the foreseeable future.

this was my first winter with the m5. i bought a used set of 408m 19" wheels off of an enthusiast and BMWCCA member. it came with blizzak lm-32 tires - full tread left upfront and 2/3 left in the rear. i will probably go to oe spec pirelli's this coming winter.

my m5 is non-comp and tuned. for the winter, i only tuned it to the competition map, leaving stage 1 for the warm weather and meatier tires.

it was a mild winter here in southeast michigan and because of covid, i put ~1500 miles on my car from thanksgiving to st. patrick's day. i didn't take it out during big snowfalls, but it performed admirably afterwards or when there were a couple inches, it was icy or overall inclement.

imho, if you have the right tires and you use common sense how and when to drive, you will be fine. obviously, regional weather plays a big factor.

we'll see how this year goes now that i'm lowered and have a front lip. lol.
      04-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
I just picked mine up in January and have enjoyed it thus far. I have an e46 m3 and an e39 m5 as well. I do appreciate the more modern technology in some ways. I don't have to deal with the winters like you do, so I can't really answer your questions. Good luck with your search!
Awesome, hope you enjoy the F10. I have always wanted an E39 M5, I feel I may have missed my chance since they're on the way up in price, but maybe someday I can find the right one to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
If you had to use it for commuting, I'd say get a second car, but given you don't, I say get winter wheels and tires. Sets actually come up for sale here on a not terribly infrequent basis.

I know there's folks on here who drive it in the winter.
Hopefully they'll chime in.
I am leaning towards this option now, i have a friend that used to drive his E24 635CSI on Hakkapeliitta snow tires, might look into those, i think this beast will be alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
i'm probably in the minority but i am driving my m5 year round.

several reasons: one of which is that i am getting older and having a truer sports car and the rough ride that comes with it is not welcome any longer. as is having to garage 2 vehicles of my own and one for my wife. my last 2-vehicle set-ups were: e46 m3 + yukon & f80 m3 + yukon.

before purchasing the m5 i had done enough research through the forum and consulted real world drivers to where i felt confident the f10 m5 was drivable in winter - allowing me to retire an old, and somewhat costly, habit. covid helped, too, in that i don't have to drive to the office any longer ... and won't for the foreseeable future.

this was my first winter with the m5. i bought a used set of 408m 19" wheels off of an enthusiast and BMWCCA member. it came with blizzak lm-32 tires - full tread left upfront and 2/3 left in the rear. i will probably go to oe spec pirelli's this coming winter.

my m5 is non-comp and tuned. for the winter, i only tuned it to the competition map, leaving stage 1 for the warm weather and meatier tires.

it was a mild winter here in southeast michigan and because of covid, i put ~1500 miles on my car from thanksgiving to st. patrick's day. i didn't take it out during big snowfalls, but it performed admirably afterwards or when there were a couple inches, it was icy or overall inclement.

imho, if you have the right tires and you use common sense how and when to drive, you will be fine. obviously, regional weather plays a big factor.

we'll see how this year goes now that i'm lowered and have a front lip. lol.
Thanks for the great input. This gives me more confidence i could pull it off as well. I would most likely lower the car as well if i eventually get one. Researching on suspension setups with adjustability while retaining the oe dampening settings. That way i could raise a bit for winter and lower for nicer months. I will search for a decent set as first item if i get the car. Sometimes we say i can pick them up later, and its a few days before first snow storm and we have nothing lol, has happened to me in the past. I drove one of my E60 M5's in the winter with "decent" all seasons and it performed horribly, that is part why i am asking the question.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

As far as winter tires, I'd also look at the VikingContact 7s. I've had them on my Cobra* the last two winters and they have been amazing.

*yes, my winter car is a 2001 Cobra
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #7
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post

Thanks for the great input. This gives me more confidence i could pull it off as well. I would most likely lower the car as well if i eventually get one. Researching on suspension setups with adjustability while retaining the oe dampening settings. That way i could raise a bit for winter and lower for nicer months. I will search for a decent set as first item if i get the car. Sometimes we say i can pick them up later, and its a few days before first snow storm and we have nothing lol, has happened to me in the past. I drove one of my E60 M5's in the winter with "decent" all seasons and it performed horribly, that is part why i am asking the question.
i just installed dinan sleeve coil-over kit this week and am happy so far. not ready for a true assessment; i need to lower the front a 1/4"ish and want to see how easy it is, then get an alignment and put a few hundred miles on it. presumably, i would raise it up some when i put the 408m wheels on it next winter.

good luck with your decision, man!
      04-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
As far as winter tires, I'd also look at the VikingContact 7s. I've had them on my Cobra* the last two winters and they have been amazing.

*yes, my winter car is a 2001 Cobra
Thanks i will look into those as well. I have been reading a bunch of reviews on snow setups. That is bad ass to use that car for winter, they say this M5 is a German muscle car, so using that during winter, its almost like for like i would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
i just installed dinan sleeve coil-over kit this week and am happy so far. not ready for a true assessment; i need to lower the front a 1/4"ish and want to see how easy it is, then get an alignment and put a few hundred miles on it. presumably, i would raise it up some when i put the 408m wheels on it next winter.

good luck with your decision, man!
I did want to retain the factory EDC, but i have been reading a lot about how the KW V3's sort of dial in the car in terms of suspension and comfort. Honestly might consider those as well, if i feel i need more "train on rails" feeling. I don't plan to track my car, but if the opportunity did come i would try it. But i do a lot of highway pulls, and hit the twisties to push the car when i safely can.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #9
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and suggestions. I am possibly going to try a winter setup maybe for a season, or at the next season start to see how i feel about it. I am still shopping for the perfect F10 M5. I hope to have one by June. Not gonna lie, i am leaning a bit towards buying something rugged for the winter and occasional camping/mountain trips, i did not think of this before. I like older trucks for this, looking a possibly Nissan Xterra's, Later model 4runners/sequoias/land cruisers, or something similarly capable.
Appreciate 1
co_pa223.00
      04-27-2021, 03:07 AM   #10
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

I allways got nervous and uneasy when I drove the E61 M5 in the winter - but in Sweden you can use dubbed winter tires, when brand new they reallya re amazing.... but I hated the fact I was getting salt on the car also, and in the end got a seperate car for the winter.

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
I allways got nervous and uneasy when I drove the E61 M5 in the winter - but in Sweden you can use dubbed winter tires, when brand new they reallya re amazing.... but I hated the fact I was getting salt on the car also, and in the end got a seperate car for the winter.
Yes, i know exactly what you mean. In my area we have a big problem with salt during winter, i am more leaning towards just getting a nice rugged truck that wont break the bank at this point. I drove my E60 M5 one season during winter and it was more trouble than I anticipated. However, I was lowered on H&R springs with no adjustability and all season tires instead of dedicated winter setup, it was not fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update this thread, I will start a new thread once I officially have my car. Not sure if the General forums is the place for intro/build threads.

After my search, I signed today on a 2013 Alpine White w Black Merino guts with 55k miles. All options minus night vision. It is out about 36hr drive from me (2,600 miles or so), I had it inspected and came back good. Was well within my budget and I think was a good purchase for me.

Wondering what you guys thoughts are on flying out there and driving it home the 2,600 miles. Would be nice first road trip with the car, or should I just have it shipped to me?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #13
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
Fly and drive! Would be a fun road trip in the new car.

I flew from Houston to Atlanta to pick up my previous sapphire black 13 M5 - loved the drive home (pic below)!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Dankrupt187.00
fbfitz46136.50
M5Rick60016.50
      05-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #14
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post

I flew from Houston to Atlanta to pick up my previous sapphire black 13 M5 - loved the drive home (pic below)!
Great pic, love your interior. I think I’m gonna fly over with a buddy to help me on the drive back, since it’s 36hrs. Should be a good way to get to know the ins and outs of the car. This will be my 2nd time ever driving an F10 M5 . First time I didn’t get to properly drive the car since it wasn’t mines, to compare/contrast with my E60. I am excited to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #15
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post

Great pic, love your interior. I think I’m gonna fly over with a buddy to help me on the drive back, since it’s 36hrs. Should be a good way to get to know the ins and outs of the car. This will be my 2nd time ever driving an F10 M5 . First time I didn’t get to properly drive the car since it wasn’t mines, to compare/contrast with my E60. I am excited to say the least.
Will be a fun trip for sure! However, coming from a Mercedes, I found the seats to be kind of hard and uncomfortable a few hours into my 6 hour trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 01:52 AM   #16
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
After my search, I signed today on a 2013 Alpine White w Black Merino guts with 55k miles. All options minus night vision. It is out about 36hr drive from me (2,600 miles or so), I had it inspected and came back good.
Congrats on the purchase ruben356 - I'm a fellow Alpine White, Black Merino owner. IMO it's a classic colour combo that you can't go wrong with. Nice that it's loaded up with options too (I'm a sucker for the options - IMO the B&O is great and my kids love the RSE).

Quote:
Wondering what you guys thoughts are on flying out there and driving it home the 2,600 miles. Would be nice first road trip with the car, or should I just have it shipped to me?
That's a big drive. I think I'd personally be tempted to just get it transported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
However, coming from a Mercedes, I found the seats to be kind of hard and uncomfortable a few hours into my 6 hour trip.
I disagree - I've found the M Multifunction seats to be supremely comfortable. You sit 'in' them more than some other seats I've had, but they are super comfy!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:25 AM   #17
fbfitz46
bavarian_overload
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 | 2014 F02 Alpina

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Just wanted to update this thread, I will start a new thread once I officially have my car. Not sure if the General forums is the place for intro/build threads.

After my search, I signed today on a 2013 Alpine White w Black Merino guts with 55k miles. All options minus night vision. It is out about 36hr drive from me (2,600 miles or so), I had it inspected and came back good. Was well within my budget and I think was a good purchase for me.

Fly and drive! I flew from Raleigh to Ft. Lauderdale with my pops to pick mine up and drove back. Great trip and got to know the car.
      05-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #18
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

I flew to California from AZ and drove mine home a couple weeks back. I would do that drive again, but i dont know about as far as yours is.

Is it at a BMW dealership? I took mine to the closest BMW and had the oil changed immediately before i drove it the 400 miles. Just for piece of mind that it was fresh and the correct grade.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #19
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen White F10 M5 Comp

I vote Fly and Drive. I had the same dilemma and initially tried to have mine shipped from Vegas to South Florida, but I waited a month to find out that due to the COVID-related lack of business, no trucks were running from Vegas to the East Coast, so I ended up having to fly out with a friend and drive it back. I was a little nervous about driving 12 hours a day lowered on KW V3s, but it was an astonishingly comfy drive. I highly recommend them. I don't miss the EDC at all. The M5 seats are some of the best my ass has ever had the privilege of sitting in. The seat massagers do a great job of keeping the ass soreness in check. It was a great chance to get to know the car, and it was a trip my buddy and I will never forget.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #20
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

I second the seat massagers. They do a great job keeping your ass from getting sore on long rides.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #21
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Hi

I really recommend your choice. The M5 is a criminally underrated car.

The weather in the UK is pretty bad all year round, but we don’t tend to have the extremes of snow that are possible in US.

I almost avoided buying the car because of some internet scaremongering about the car. It almost sounded unusable in winter. It was all baloney (I'm pretty sure I didn’t spell that correctly).

In the wet, on ice or in snow, the M5 is one of the safest cars I have ever driven. In comfort mode the throttle is pretty suppressed and lazy and with a light foot the area is no less controllable than anything else. In any conditions the brakes and chassis make the car much more safe and responsive than most cars.

I had a chap brake very hard for a turn after a long bend on a Scottish highland pass in the rain. It was ‘definite crash’ and yet the M5 braked to a stop on a wet hard turn.

There are a few emerging web articles in the U.K., where a lovely example is about 20kGBP or 28kUSD, where the headline is performance bargain.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #22
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Just 10 miles away! I bought the first one I saw in a private sale and after agreeing price he delivered it to me and I paid. No lease car here I wanted to OWN it.
It had to have the basics, comfort massage seats in black, rear split folds,hk dsp 13 speaker,343M,soft close, speed limit ind, and definitely no comfort entry, lane buzzer or night vision, was also my fave colour.
Appreciate 0