M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
Stelios619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

KW V4, JRZ RS Pro, Moton, etc....

I’ve abandoned the idea of keeping my factory dampers with aftermarket coils. I’m sure that they’ll give me the look I’m after, but I’m already somewhat displeased with the ride quality/responsiveness/overall feel of my M5 Competition, so I’m going to do this the right way and install a set of adjustable coil overs.

Cost isn’t a huge issue as long as the quality is there. Since my car is a semi daily driver (it’ll see roughly 8,000 miles a year), I’d like something that isn’t going to need a rebuild every winter.

No plans on tracking the car at all (never say never), but I do quite a bit of highway pulling (60-160 type of stuff), so I’m looking for something that can be adjusted to give me decent grip when I’ll be playing on highways, can be adjusted again for smooth sailing to Vegas, and again for the potential track day.

I see a lot of threads where people are running KW V3’s and are happy with them. So those threads already exist. I’m looking for some info/opinions from those that have dropped a little extra cash on a suspension setup thats a notch or two above the V3.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

I think for a street semi-daily you'd want to go with the KWs. I had looked at MCS and after a convo with the guy who sells them* it was fairly clear they'd be overkill and otherwise less desirable in something that isn't regularly tracked. I believe the MCSs would be in a similar realm as those JRZs or Motons.

*who is also a BMW guy and an SCCA/NASA driver.
      01-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
Stelios619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
I think for a street semi-daily you'd want to go with the KWs. I had looked at MCS and after a convo with the guy who sells them* it was fairly clear they'd be overkill and otherwise less desirable in something that isn't regularly tracked. I believe the MCSs would be in a similar realm as those JRZs or Motons.

*who is also a BMW guy and an SCCA/NASA driver.
Probably overkill, but this is more of a chance to get to try something new. Purely to give something a spin and see how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios619 View Post
Probably overkill, but this is more of a chance to get to try something new. Purely to give something a spin and see how it performs.
there's a few guys on here with KW V4s, which I assume would be the KW V3s with even more adjustability. From what I gather, MCS are basically updated Motons and are highly regarded, so I can't imagine going with those would disappoint.
      03-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Take it from me, I've owned two sets of KW V4s. They work absolutely lovely. But they are over kill if you're not planning to mess around with them once they're installed. Plus if you want a semi soft ride, these ride on the harder side due to the harder spring rates it has in the front.

For most people the V3 is more then plenty enough. Save yourself the 3k and go with the V4s.

And no the V3 and V4 are not the same thing. They are completely different coils.
Appreciate 0