BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
UnopposedCheeseBurger
Private
Rep
Drives: _

Inconsistent Side Camera Malfunction?

Over the last few weeks i've noticed i've had an inconsistent camera malfunction with my left driver side camera (the one located closest to the front left wheel).

What happens is:
-I press the side camera button
-Both cameras show clearly/normal for half a second, then the left camera will cut out and go blank
-The car will then show a "Side Camera Malfunction" warning, preventing me using the function for the remainder of the drive.
-I cannot see a pattern with how or when it happens

Here are 2 situations that leave me confused:
#1 - I drove home, parked (did not turn off the engine), then pressed the Side Camera button. It worked for half a second then the left camera went blank, then I got the malfunction warning. I stepped out of the car and with an open palm, softly pressed on the camera and it's surround area. I then got back in, pressed the side camera button and both cameras worked normally as if nothing had happened.

#2 - I drove home and tried repeating the exact same scenario as above. However when I pressed on the camera with my palm in the same way, it did nothing and the camera malfunction warning continued. I turned the car off and left it as is overnight without any additional effort. The next morning I start the car up, press the side camera button, and magically it's working again.

I can't tell what the pattern is, and all my other cameras work normally.

I've done research and it seems that it could be the wiring that is failing. Wondering if others have run into this? Curious if it's an easy fix to do the new wiring yourself? Anyone happen to have the part number btw? TY!

Last edited by UnopposedCheeseBurger; 03-24-2021 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #2
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Sounds like it's either a failing camera or wiring related. Could be worth unplugging the camera and checking the wiring connector (give it a bit of a clean/blow it out) and reseating it and seeing if that fixes the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Given the location of this camera, you could try to check the plug, could be an issue there.
I had a right rear corner PDC sensor fail on me, and that turned out to be a corroded wire that had more or less broke. Quick solder splice and it was OK.
When under the car I could see that this sensor/connector was directly in the spray from the rear tire.

Since the camera work, it could be the Bus signal cable that is broken, when the computer is not getting a response from the camera within a certain time, it reports it as faulty, when it is just the bus communication that has failed, not the actual camera feed.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

The left and right cameras seem identical externally. I'm just guessing that the wiring/clips are identical as well. So just swap left for right and drive around for a bit. This way you can at least rule out if the camera is at fault. If so you can easily pick one up on eBay and problem solved.

If it isn't then trace back to something else.
      03-31-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
Cylenterok
Private
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnopposedCheeseBurger View Post
Over the last few weeks i've noticed i've had an inconsistent camera malfunction with my left driver side camera (the one located closest to the front left wheel).

What happens is:
-I press the side camera button
-Both cameras show clearly/normal for half a second, then the left camera will cut out and go blank
-The car will then show a "Side Camera Malfunction" warning, preventing me using the function for the remainder of the drive.
-I cannot see a pattern with how or when it happens

Here are 2 situations that leave me confused:
#1 - I drove home, parked (did not turn off the engine), then pressed the Side Camera button. It worked for half a second then the left camera went blank, then I got the malfunction warning. I stepped out of the car and with an open palm, softly pressed on the camera and it's surround area. I then got back in, pressed the side camera button and both cameras worked normally as if nothing had happened.

#2 - I drove home and tried repeating the exact same scenario as above. However when I pressed on the camera with my palm in the same way, it did nothing and the camera malfunction warning continued. I turned the car off and left it as is overnight without any additional effort. The next morning I start the car up, press the side camera button, and magically it's working again.

I can't tell what the pattern is, and all my other cameras work normally.

I've done research and it seems that it could be the wiring that is failing. Wondering if others have run into this? Curious if it's an easy fix to do the new wiring yourself? Anyone happen to have the part number btw? TY!
Ive done some research on this and the left camera wiring seems to fail most commonly because water gets in the wiring somehow from that side. To replace that wire BMW has to change the entire wire which runs the length of the car to the back. Expensive to say the least for a side view camera. Mine was doing the same thing consistently and I was in the same position which is why I did the research. But it started working again with no issues when I had some wiring under the hood re taped due to a rat getting in there. Smh. I can't tell you if it's actually related but I don't see how else it started working again with no issues what so ever. Try looking at the wiring under the hood as well. It won't hurt.
E70 X5M
E90 335i XDrive M Sport BMW Performance Edition
Appreciate 0