M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
M5Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Open Flash Tablet

I have a 2014 M5 CP. Other than some minor cosmetic mods, the car is stock. I've had the car for over a year, and I've been looking for a tune for the past 6 months or so. After reading about the experiences from some of the other members on this board and looking at the information on the Open Flash website, I decided to give them a try. I am not a techie kind of guy, but the process of calibrating the tablet, uploading the original tune file and getting new tunes was easy and straightforward. Shiv, one of the owners, was very responsive and sent me the tunes I requested very quickly. This morning I loaded the Stage 1 tune, flat torque, 93 octane with burbles and with cold start delete (I actually like the cold start sound, but I leave for work early and the noise wakes up my kids!).

I've put maybe 30 miles on the car so far with the tune, and so far I am very impressed. The car is much smoother than stock with linear power through red line. I forgot who described it this way, but the car feels much more like a naturally aspirated powered car. I live in Chicago, so unfortunately I am already driving with my winter set up, so I really won't know what the car can do until the weather changes so that I can put back the summer set up. As I put a few more miles on her, I will update this post with additional impressions. The burbles are not too loud, but do give the car a nice exotic sound. Overall, I'm very glad I made this choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Crazy View Post
I have a 2014 M5 CP. Other than some minor cosmetic mods, the car is stock. I've had the car for over a year, and I've been looking for a tune for the past 6 months or so. After reading about the experiences from some of the other members on this board and looking at the information on the Open Flash website, I decided to give them a try. I am not a techie kind of guy, but the process of calibrating the tablet, uploading the original tune file and getting new tunes was easy and straightforward. Shiv, one of the owners, was very responsive and sent me the tunes I requested very quickly. This morning I loaded the Stage 1 tune, flat torque, 93 octane with burbles and with cold start delete (I actually like the cold start sound, but I leave for work early and the noise wakes up my kids!).

I've put maybe 30 miles on the car so far with the tune, and so far I am very impressed. The car is much smoother than stock with linear power through red line. I forgot who described it this way, but the car feels much more like a naturally aspirated powered car. I live in Chicago, so unfortunately I am already driving with my winter set up, so I really won't know what the car can do until the weather changes so that I can put back the summer set up. As I put a few more miles on her, I will update this post with additional impressions. The burbles are not too loud, but do give the car a nice exotic sound. Overall, I'm very glad I made this choice.
Thanks for posting your impression. In Chicago as well w CP m5. Thinking of a tune soon.
      12-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
M5Crazy
Rep

I've been very happy with the tune. My shifts are much smoother now, even in the more aggressive driving modes.

Send me a PM. Depending on where you are in the Chicago area, I would be glad to meet up and you can check out the car with the tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

I've been running mine for about 3 months with no issues at all. Very happy with the tune and the service!
The stock tires were useless so I had a set of wheels made and am running a 315-30-20 Nitto NT01. The car is a blast to drive now.
With the sticky tires on it, I want to try the full torque or Stage II tunes. I would not have done that with the stock tires on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
M5Crazy
Rep

I'm jealous of the guys who live in warm weather climates. I'm stuck having to use my winter setup for about 4 more months! I plan to go with the Stage II tune in the spring once I switch back to the summer setup. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the burbles and pops.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
I'm jealous of the guys who live in warm weather climates. I'm stuck having to use my winter setup for about 4 more months! I plan to go with the Stage II tune in the spring once I switch back to the summer setup. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the burbles and pops.
Nothing warm about Northern CA this time of the year... it's drops down in the 40s in the evening

Growing up in NJ, I remember what northeast winters were like. I don't think I'm capable of adapting to that again!

Cheers
shiv
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
dba1t
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMW's

Located in Cincinnati. We had a near 50-degree clear day on Tuesday (12/18). I installed the 93 octane, flat torque, cold start delete tune. The results are exactly as everyone stated. Linear power delivery, behaves like a normally aspirated engine, smoother operating and shifting, and pulls harder/stronger in every gear. The fun factor increased substantially. Cannot wait to drive again soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #8
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks for your write-up!

I'm still on stock ECU at the moment (Factory Warranty Boy) and soon I'll be going to the dark side

I'm still debating whether to go for Bootmod3 or OpenFlash. I want to make the right decision about which is safer and can hold the car without having the clutches slipping of excessive torque or heating up due to an aggressive map or any sort of other problems.
I am also not so experienced in tuning the Fxx M5/6 like I was in the E9x M3 platform. This is why I'm asking so many questions.

Can you post couple of videos of the burble setup? I'd love to see how aggressive it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFiK - BMWClubUAE View Post

I'm still on stock ECU at the moment (Factory Warranty Boy) and soon I'll be going to the dark side

I'm still debating whether to go for Bootmod3 or OpenFlash. I want to make the right decision about which is safer and can hold the car without having the clutches slipping of excessive torque or heating up due to an aggressive map or any sort of other problems.
I am also not so experienced in tuning the Fxx M5/6 like I was in the E9x M3 platform. This is why I'm asking so many questions.

Can you post couple of videos of the burble setup? I'd love to see how aggressive it is.
Its very mild but improves over stock.

BM3 currently have boost by gear which OFT doesn't however OFT has a flat torque map which BM3 doesn't

OFT should have boost by gear soon

They are very similar but for me I prefer OFT as the tablet is neat rather than using a laptop

My OFT Stage 1 map has been trouble free and its very quick and smooth
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:05 AM   #10
RAFiK - BMWClubUAE
Drift Instructor @ BMW Club UAE
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Quote:

Its very mild but improves over stock.

BM3 currently have boost by gear which OFT doesn't however OFT has a flat torque map which BM3 doesn't

OFT should have boost by gear soon

They are very similar but for me I prefer OFT as the tablet is neat rather than using a laptop

My OFT Stage 1 map has been trouble free and its very quick and smooth
I'm interested in the boost by gear which is a great option IMHO and if OFT will have that soon then i might be considering it.

can you show me an example of the flat torque curve?

i haven't done a proper homework :hide:
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #11
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I'm interested in the boost by gear which is a great option IMHO and if OFT will have that soon then i might be considering it.

can you show me an example of the flat torque curve?

i haven't done a proper homework :hide:
https://www.openflashtablet.com/

Scroll down
Appreciate 0