M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Camber and Toe not giving more away

Hi all, opening a new thread even though i have something open about lowering with eibach springs.
Question for others is the following, after lowering your cars with coils or lowering springs such as Eibach and having it taken it to have the alignment done did it all lined up correctly?
I took mine and while camber lines up perfectly the toe on the rear side is off by 25 out of 100. The toe is already at maximum and wont give anything more. Anyone has had a similar issue before that may have some advice? short of placing back stock springs and going back for alignment to check if all lines up the guy just mentioned see if there is after market camber/toes that can replace stock ones. Of course i can take it to another alignment shop but would want to avoid paying to get the same answer and BMW wont come near it since it is not stock suspension anymore. any help advice i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Hey Carlos, I'm lowered on KW HAS kit and I'm pretty low. As low as I want to be with our Jersey roads lol. I aligned mine after about 300 miles after install to make sure they settled enough before alignment. My car was aligned and no issues. I believe camber is not adjustable on our cars so mine was around -1* camber or just outside of bmw spec. I actually prefer some negative camber. As for your toe adjustment there should be no reason they can not get that within spec. Can you shoot a couple of pics of your rear suspension from under the car?

Edit: added a picture of where I'm talking about for you to grab a pic. Also can you post the print out they should have given you from your alignment shop.
Attached Images

'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Hey Carlos, I'm lowered on KW HAS kit and I'm pretty low. As low as I want to be with our Jersey roads lol. I aligned mine after about 300 miles after install to make sure they settled enough before alignment. My car was aligned and no issues. I believe camber is not adjustable on our cars so mine was around -1* camber or just outside of bmw spec. I actually prefer some negative camber. As for your toe adjustment there should be no reason they can not get that within spec. Can you shoot a couple of pics of your rear suspension from under the car?

Edit: added a picture of where I'm talking about for you to grab a pic. Also can you post the print out they should have given you from your alignment shop.
Thanks bud. i guess i need to take it to another store to get a second opinion then. I went to this place in Patterson that was recommended by some guys that have really low cars. The guy there just said that there is no more toe to give. i will try to get underneath the car and get some photos of the areas you show me.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosgomesm5 View Post
Thanks bud. i guess i need to take it to another store to get a second opinion then. I went to this place in Patterson that was recommended by some guys that have really low cars. The guy there just said that there is no more toe to give. i will try to get underneath the car and get some photos of the areas you show me.
Yeah bud you gotta get it to another shop. Did they give you a print out?
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah bud you gotta get it to another shop. Did they give you a print out?
No bud and i didn't ask to be honest.(pretty dumb of me i know) But i'm sure i can stop by and ask them.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #6
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
No bud and i didn't ask to be honest.(pretty dumb of me i know) But i'm sure i can stop by and ask them.
Try and get it to a reputable shop, they really shouldnt have had an issue with the Eibach springs.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try and get it to a reputable shop, they really shouldnt have had an issue with the Eibach springs.
Here is how it looks now on the computer. I will see how it goes at this place I’m at.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #8
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Good luck!!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is how it looks now on the computer. I will see how it goes at this place I’m at.
And this other shop same thing, they think something is wrong. Recommended looking at replacing rear controller first if that doesn’t do it then perhaps it’s the knuckle. They think that might have been a hit of some sort and that the toe is maxed out has no more movement but the rear left has plenty.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck!!!!
Thanks bud. Here are some photos hopefully they show what you were looking for. Did my best to get them while the car was up. It seems I inherited a problem with this car in the rear right that needs to be figured out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Damn man something definitely does not sound right. I trying to see in the pics if everything was reinstalled back correctly after the spring install. Specifically this arm:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #12
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn man something definitely does not sound right. I trying to see in the pics if everything was reinstalled back correctly after the spring install. Specifically this arm:
Thanks. I can go back to the guy who did the suspension and have him check that arm to ensure it is right, is it possible to install that arm in the wrong way, I must have driven 100miles like this already.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I can go back to the guy who did the suspension and have him check that arm to ensure it is right, is it possible to install that arm in the wrong way, I must have driven 100miles like this already.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes that's what I want to check. When you lay under your rear bumper looking at the back of that arm you should see the part numbers and they should be right side up. I have a feeling if he pulled that arm it may be re installed incorrectly
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #14
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes that's what I want to check. When you lay under your rear bumper looking at the back of that arm you should see the part numbers and they should be right side up. I have a feeling if he pulled that arm it may be re installed incorrectly
On the photos of that arm the stiker is pointing down is that what you mean the sticker should point up?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #15
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
On the photos of that arm the stiker is pointing down is that what you mean the sticker should point up?
Quote:
Quote:
No should be part numbers castes in the arm itself.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No should be part numbers castes in the arm itself.
Got it, got to get the car in the air to see it. Will see if I can stop by the guy tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #17
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Got it, got to get the car in the air to see it. Will see if I can stop by the guy tomorrow.
Actually the only way it would work is if he mixed up the driver side and passenger side arms. Let me see if they are the same part number.

Edit: The toe link arms are the same part numbers for both sides. The camber arms are different though, but from your pics I can barley make out the part number and looks like the right on is on the right side. Damn man sorry, something must be bent our out of whack. GL bud!

Last edited by SapphireM5; 12-28-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #18
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually the only way it would work is if he mixed up the driver side and passenger side arms. Let me see if they are the same part number.

Edit: The toe link arms are the same part numbers for both sides. The camber arms are different though, but from your pics I can barley make out the part number and looks like the right on is on the right side. Damn man sorry, something must be bent our out of whack. GL bud!
Thanks bud for trying to help. Need to figure out what it is though. Just looked at the parts that the guy mentioned and they aren’t cheap to try and replace to see if it is that. I’m going back to BMW on Monday to do a software update I can ask them but I doubt they will touch the car with non stock springs. Either way this problem will be there with or without the stock springs so I’m hoping they will be able to tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #19
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bud for trying to help. Need to figure out what it is though. Just looked at the parts that the guy mentioned and they aren’t cheap to try and replace to see if it is that. I’m going back to BMW on Monday to do a software update I can ask them but I doubt they will touch the car with non stock springs. Either way this problem will be there with or without the stock springs so I’m hoping they will be able to tell.
Good luck man, if BMW is no help, try a shop that does installs and alignments maybe they can figure out whats bend our out of whack. GL!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck man, if BMW is no help, try a shop that does installs and alignments maybe they can figure out whats bend our out of whack. GL!
So i took my car to AutoCoutureMotoring here in Fairlawn by chance as im going to wrap the roof in black and realized they did much more so i dropped the car this morning and ask them to take a look at the problem. Just got the call and turns out that the upper controller arm and lower toe is bend, likely related to a small hit on a side walk possibly previous owner. Also shock absorber is leaking so 3 things to replace and $2700 later... hopefully get it back next week. This is where the extended warranty might have come handy... I don't have it yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #21
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
So i took my car to AutoCoutureMotoring here in Fairlawn by chance as im going to wrap the roof in black and realized they did much more so i dropped the car this morning and ask them to take a look at the problem. Just got the call and turns out that the upper controller arm and lower toe is bend, likely related to a small hit on a side walk possibly previous owner. Also shock absorber is leaking so 3 things to replace and $2700 later... hopefully get it back next week. This is where the extended warranty might have come handy... I don't have it yet.
Ouch bud, but at least your getting it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 05:16 AM   #22
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Thanks for the update. Please let us know when it's fixed and what it took!

Good luck
Appreciate 0