Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
lotus49
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Removing speed restriction

I rather fancy taking a trip to Germany and seeing how fast my stock M5 can go but I know that they are limited to 155MPH (ish) as standard.

What needs to be done to remove that limit?

PS I did search for what I would have thought was a common question but either it's less common than I would have expected or my searching is not very good.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
I rather fancy taking a trip to Germany and seeing how fast my stock M5 can go but I know that they are limited to 155MPH (ish) as standard.

PS I did search for what I would have thought was a common question but either it's less common than I would have expected or my searching is not very good.
As far as I know dealers in Germany will remove the restriction for you in certain stages, the kits they fit costing more the higher you want it delimited.Over here it's difficult to get them to do it if not a reluctance on their part.
Remember your insurance will probably need to be informed of any de restriction and you don't need me to tell you a thorough inspection is wise before maxxing the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Speak to evolve automotive. They should be able to remove the speed limiter without altering performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
lotus49
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
As far as I know dealers in Germany will remove the restriction for you in certain stages, the kits they fit costing more the higher you want it delimited.Over here it's difficult to get them to do it if not a reluctance on their part.
Remember your insurance will probably need to be informed of any de restriction and you don't need me to tell you a thorough inspection is wise before maxxing the car.
I don't want the car tuning; I just want the limiter removed.

You make a good point about the insurance. I hadn't thought about that and that is a bit of a downer. I'll contact them and see what they say. The car has been inspected recently but if I do this, I shall ensure it's checked again shortly before I try to max it out and I'll ensure I go over the tyres just before I set off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Speak to evolve automotive. They should be able to remove the speed limiter without altering performance.
Thank you, that is what I'm after. My MPS4s are Y rated which is supposed only to be good for 186 but I think I'd be happy with that speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

You make a good point about the insurance. I hadn't thought about that and that is a bit of a downer. I'll contact them and see what they say. The car has been inspected recently but if I do this, I shall ensure it's checked again shortly before I try to max it out and I'll ensure I go over the tyres just before I set off.

Thank you, that is what I'm after. My MPS4s are Y rated which is supposed only to be good for 186 but I think I'd be happy with that speed.
I could be wrong but I'm sure the f10 stock will reach either 189 or 191mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:

They won't tune it,just remove the restriction to what level you want.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Why would you tell your insurance company? That sounds like calling the police to tell them you're going rob a bank.

Any tuner should be able to turn off the speed limiter but I "think" they still have to unlock the ECU's which means you will probably pay the same as if you were getting a tune.

Based on your location, I second the opinion that you contact Evolve.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

If ordered as an option, the M Driver’s Package will raise the speed limiter to 305 km/h (190 mph). It’s s factory option and can be retrofitted in Germany, but at a very high cost, since a M driving school event is part of the deal. The other option is to contact a tuner and have them just remove the speed limiter, I paid 400 € in Germany and my M5 will do around 315 km/h (195 mph) on the German Autobahn. The standard M5 is always limited to 250 km/h (155 mph). It’s tremendous fun, our cars are immense performers
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59842.00
      07-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
lotus49
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Why would you tell your insurance company? That sounds like calling the police to tell them you're going rob a bank.
If I don't tell them, my cover could be voided. It's fairly unlikely they would ever find out but if, for example, I had an accident at a speed I shouldn't be able to go and they got suspicious, they could. I am not familiar with US insurance law but it's probably similar to English law. Insurance contracts are contracts uberrimae fidei. The contract is void if I have failed to disclose a material fact. My car being able to go 195 mph rather than 155 mph is definitely a material fact.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59842.00
      07-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
With the limiter you'll hit 168mph!! Trust me, that's fast enough! I had a car pull out in front of me a mile ahead and still had to hit the brakes hard, and I was on his ass! Be careful if you go to Germany to do it

This was while I was still in Germany
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
lotus49
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
With the limiter you'll hit 168mph!! Trust me, that's fast enough! I had a car pull out in front of me a mile ahead and still had to hit the brakes hard, and I was on his ass! Be careful if you go to Germany to do it

If I get over 160MPH that will still be 20MPH faster than I've driven before and you are probably right, that is fast enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #12
Guy M5
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 2014 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post

I hit the limiter at 166mph indicated, my GPS said just over 152mph.
Appreciate 0