Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Weird noise from bottom

I’ve recently notice that there is some strange noise coming from bottom when I full throttle. It sounds like squeezing a pop can and lasts very short that i cannot even record it. It is noticeable only when the car in low rpm and low drivelogic. I first thought it was coming from rear diff but after I have my buddy checked and changed the fluid, nothing helped. Anyone has idea?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyf10 View Post
I’ve recently notice that there is some strange noise coming from bottom when I full throttle. It sounds like squeezing a pop can and lasts very short that i cannot even record it. It is noticeable only when the car in low rpm and low drivelogic. I first thought it was coming from rear diff but after I have my buddy checked and changed the fluid, nothing helped. Anyone has idea?
You shouldn't apply full throttle when car is travelling in a very low gear, change down to a higher gear first or depress the throttle gradually until the revs rise. You may have poor quality fuel.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
You shouldn't apply full throttle when car is travelling in a very low gear, change down to a higher gear first or depress the throttle gradually until the revs rise. You may have poor quality fuel.
Sorry for my bad expressions
When I put on gas at high gear (low rpm). The throttle angle doesn’t trigger downshift and whine begins. Once I downshift and rev higher, no whine (Or maybe I can’t hear cuz of high rev noise)
For fuel quality, 91 shell is my choice. I dont really think it’s a fuel quality related
But thanks for bring it up
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Quote:
When I put on gas at high gear (low rpm). The throttle angle doesn’t trigger downshift and whine begins. Once I downshift and rev higher, no whine (Or maybe I can’t hear cuz of high rev noise)
For fuel quality, 91 shell is my choice. I dont really think it’s a fuel quality related
Differential? Try to do a steady speed on the highway maybe around 50-60mph. Lightly hit the throttle then let it coast. Does the noise come and go? Could be the rear differential.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Differential? Try to do a steady speed on the highway maybe around 50-60mph. Lightly hit the throttle then let it coast. Does the noise come and go? Could be the rear differential.
No whine can be heard at that speed. It usually happens below 30kph which means sometimes starting from the rest with enough gas will make that noise.
Also lightly hit the throttle will not whine, it only comes at low rpm and large throttle angle. Could it be driveshaft???
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
No whine can be heard at that speed. It usually happens below 30kph which means sometimes starting from the rest with enough gas will make that noise.
Also lightly hit the throttle will not whine, it only comes at low rpm and large throttle angle. Could it be driveshaft???
I was about to say, if it's more of a whine a bearing in g/box or prop/drive shaft may be showing the first signs of wear by coming on and will only get worse as time goes on.Whats the mileage?
I suggest a rolling road test and evaluation to pinpoint the cause to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #7
rickyf10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was about to say, if it's more of a whine a bearing in g/box or prop/drive shaft may be showing the first signs of wear by coming on and will only get worse as time goes on.Whats the mileage?
I suggest a rolling road test and evaluation to pinpoint the cause to be sure.
90k kms now. I properly will have my buddy fully checked the vehicle and see what’s going
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 02:09 AM   #8
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
i have whine at speed 100km and more and when i let off, i hear little whine noise, took the car to dealer and checked, they told me differential will be replaced under warranty, i will check if the noise will go or still there later...
      08-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
''Throttle angle doesn't trigger downshift'' (in auto yes) That is a fault and the can crunching noise may be the engine strangling itself with throttle actuator struggling. You may have a problem with the throttle KICKDOWN actuator then.
Appreciate 0