08-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

BMW now checking for re-maps/tunes even if removed

This in the USA:

PSA: Latest version of ISTA (4.24.x) now auto-flags cars with “aftermarket software” (tunes) without manual intervention

I just had my 2018 G30 540i serviced to get one of the DRLs replaced due to it going out.

My SA just called me and said that when they plugged the car to scan it for faults, ISTA automatically flagged my car as having had aftermarket flash (BM3). I did re-flash and re-lock the DME with the stock tune before taking it in. He also told me that ISTA used to not do that and they’d have to dig for it and would only flag it if you were being a dick about it and trying to fight for a warranty repair when clearly the tune caused the issue. However, now it seems like ISTA is auto-flagging anytime you scan the car similar to how VAG does it with their VCDS/VAG-COM software.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...now_autoflags/
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

For Euorpe:

I was told about 6 months ago when I had my car in to re-learn my gearbox, that they did in fact check for aftermarket software.
However, if the modifications are within certain parameters, nothing happens.
If the tune is outside set parameters, a warning pops up flagging the car for void warranty and no goodwill.

I guess if you have a moderate tune from a reputable tuner, i.e Hartge, AC Schnitzer etc (630-650hp). You will not be flagged.
But if you have a 700+hp tune with catless downpipes etc, you probably will be flagged.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
For Euorpe:

I was told about 6 months ago when I had my car in to re-learn my gearbox, that they did in fact check for aftermarket software.
However, if the modifications are within certain parameters, nothing happens.
If the tune is outside set parameters, a warning pops up flagging the car for void warranty and no goodwill.

I guess if you have a moderate tune from a reputable tuner, i.e Hartge, AC Schnitzer etc (630-650hp). You will not be flagged.
But if you have a 700+hp tune with catless downpipes etc, you probably will be flagged.
Set parameters could be anything other than stock though, its a thought but how can anyone now buy a used BMW outside the dealer network and be 100% sure the car has not been modified other than ask BMW to check it before its purchased
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Set parameters could be anything other than stock though, its a thought but how can anyone now buy a used BMW outside the dealer network and be 100% sure the car has not been modified other than ask BMW to check it before its purchased
So if you've had a tune in the past with the top warranty in force now, you could have the claim thrown out if the engine should terminally expire.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
The tech I talked to (I was present as he did this outside of working hours), said that BMW will allow a certain tune as this will not damage the engine.

BMW's engine map is a "compromise", it's designed to run safe on various octane levels, and various "cleanliness" levels of fuel.
This to ensure the car can run in all different countries.

A slight tune will pretty much narrow this down to i.e premium octane fuel (93 in the US and 98 in the EU) and for premium refined fuel that is cleaner and i.e have a low water or sulfur content.

On normally aspirated engines, this would normally yield 7-25hp depending on the size of the engine. (i.e 2.0l inline 4 vs 5.0l V8).
On a turbo engine this may yield 30-60+hp.

If you start removing catalytic converters, run an Alpha-N (non MAF) tune, increased boost and messing too much with the engines ignition timing air/fuel ratio or delete sensors (Maf, O2 etc), I'm sure they will say that this is not safe and void your warranty/goodwill.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      08-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Smurfzilla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

So the magic question is: Who offers a conservative tune like a Dinan or AC without having to pay thru the nose for the name?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:15 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
So if you've had a tune in the past with the top warranty in force now, you could have the claim thrown out if the engine should terminally expire.
Potentially yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I can see the BMS Stage 1 increasing in price shortly...
Appreciate 0