M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #23
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Interesting opinions of bleeding the cooling systems, it has my attention.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 04:06 PM   #24
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUT View Post
Do you recall the volume of the engine coolant?

Interestingly enough, the 'hold accelerator down for 10 sec' (accompanied by the pulsing of the coolant pumps) only appears in my manual for the bleeding of the intercooler circuit, and not the engine cooling circuit. However, it pulses the engine coolant pumps from what I can see (reservoir level fluctuates, engine coolant circuit hoses move).
Its funny because I went down this road for the same reason you did. The turbo coolant lines little plastic shitty elbow on the waterpump snapped when I was changing the top rubber connections out. The car sat there pissing on my garage floor for 10 minutes and I couldn't do anything about it. lol

I bought 3 gallons of pure bwm coolant. After mixing 50/50 with water I had at least one unopened jug still(this is for both systems). I will check how much i have left when I get home. Its impossible to drain the system completely so you are never going to get everything out for a fully complete flush.

And I agree. I could hear/feel coolant/bubbles moving through the engine coolant system when the process first started. After 5 minutes all the bubbles/slurping sounds stopped and it sounded like pure fluid moving through the lines. I actually had to run it twice to get everything, and this was AFTER vacuum filling!. The documentation is an absolute mess for the engine/intercooler coolant in ISTA.
2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock

Last edited by SpeedProtocol; 07-12-2023 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2023, 09:47 AM   #25
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

So i confirmed I used around 9.5liters of 50/50 coolant for both systems. I imagine the intercooler system is able to be drained somewhat completely based on the location of both lower radiator hoses on each radiator being at the bottom of the system. So if you know the capacity of the low temp system then you can subtract it from the total.
2021 M5 Motegi Red- Stock

Last edited by SpeedProtocol; 07-13-2023 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 1