M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

11-16-2022, 05:55 AM   #441
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Time will tell what Red Bull Racing decided/decides about Perez: keep him on board for 2023 or early exit after the forthcoming Abu Dhabi race ?

Tricky Danny may have the last laugh.
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6745.00
NYG11512.50
Mr Pete1666.00
      11-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #442
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
Well there is always a minority opinion. The experts think otherwise. Certainly all the teams he's driven for think otherwise too in how much they decided to pay him. I do not think that you've actually watched all the battles nor are you aware of the DNF's he's had, nor did you watch the Hungary race Ocon won, LOL, because how can you not know if not for Alonso, most likely Ocon would not have won. The consensus is Ocon races him harder (to the detriment of the team), which is validated by Ocon's history of battles with his previous team mates. The penalty in Brazil he did admit making a mistake. Why do you think Alpine (a French team) thought it fit to give Ocon(a Frenchman) a Team order in Brazil? An F1 Driver having a super ego? That's not surprising one bit.
I’m aware of all of that, most here only care about the results at the end, well for some. Still, one podium since the comeback………….
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #443
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
The white, privileged, rich, successful driver camp dragging another driver’s family through the mud. Deplorable.
It's OK to express the opinion that the "and then in the evening cheating on his wife" comment briefly posted by, apparently, Verstappen's mother, was inappropriate. Personally I also agree with that opinion.

But do leave the racial aspect out of it: it is unrelated to that Verstappen/Perez discussion and uncalled for.

Forum rules:
"13) NO RACISM ALLOWED. No posts which disparage any groups based on race or religion allowed. Most people who decide to post racist and hateful posts follow-up with some diatribe on freedom of speech. Please remember this is a BMW forum designed for all BMW fans, regardless of race, religion or any other difference. Period. The End."
M5Rick65550.50
NYG11512.50
      11-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #444
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I think that tweet from Sophie Kumpen is pretty low if she actually wrote that.
Checo's private affairs are...his private affairs.
I assume Sophie wasn't there in the bedroom with Checo, so it's still speculation, and with such a tweet, you're hurting Checo's wife even more. She has nothing to do with this.
For sure it's not helping the situation at hand.

However I can understand Max' frustration about Monaco.
I mean he has a contract with RB, and back then, so had Checo a brand new contract, he signed in Monaco before the race.
Obviously no one here knows the content of those contracts, but I'm sure in there it says that Max is the main/first driver (otherwise Max wouldn't have signed for so long).
So if Max is convinced that Checo crashed for his own gain, that would be in direct conflict with the agreements they just made.
Horner and Marko failed to solve this situation sufficiently back then and now they paid the price for that.
Obviously Max showed this year (and last year) that he's way way above Checo when it comes to drivers skills, so it's really up to RB how they solve these kinds of issues.
If you have a legend performer, you need a submissive 2nd violin. That's why Bottas was placed next to Hamilton, Barichello next to Schumacher, Berger next to Senna and that's Checo's role next to Max.
Maybe Checo was a bit too overconfident in his role because he just signed his new contract...
So I wonder how this will go with Mercedes, especially if they manage to get a more competitive car next year.
Obviously Russel is the 2nd driver next to Hamilton and fur sure something will have been put down in his contract about this. It was Russel who asked on the radio "are we racing or not" (him and Lewis). A first driver (HAM, VER, etc etc) would never ask that question.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-16-2022 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 6
NYG11512.50
M5Rick65550.50
Autobacs1451.50
Mr Pete1666.00
      11-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #445
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
However I can understand Max' frustration about Monaco.
I mean he has a contract with RB, and back then, so had Checo a brand new contract, he signed in Monaco before the race.
[...]
Maybe Checo was a bit too overconfident in his role because he just signed his new contract...
Perez reduced the gap to Verstappen with his Monaco race win:

WDC before the Monaco race weekend:
  1. VER 110
  2. LEC 104
  3. PER 85
  4. RUS 74
  5. SAI 65
  6. HAM 46
WDC after the Monaco race weekend:
  1. VER 125
  2. LEC 116
  3. PER 110
  4. RUS 84
  5. SAI 83
  6. HAM 50
Name:  F1_2022_Monaco.png
Views: 809
Size:  80.3 KB
NYG11512.50
      11-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #446
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Perez reduced the gap to Verstappen with his Monaco race win:

WDC before the Monaco race weekend:
  1. VER 110
  2. LEC 104
  3. PER 85
  4. RUS 74
  5. SAI 65
  6. HAM 46
WDC after the Monaco race weekend:
  1. VER 125
  2. LEC 116
  3. PER 110
  4. RUS 84
  5. SAI 83
  6. HAM 50
Attachment 3034269
He did, but did anybody really think he was going to keep pace with Max? Barring DNFs of course.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #447
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Autobacs, just looked at 21. I don’t remember as well how that whole season went, but Ocon had one more DNF and Alonso still only beat him by seven points. While Gasly and Ric beat him pretty big point margins that year.

At least Alpine beat Mclaren this year in the constructors title. So there is that. He is making 3-4 times more than Ocon and potentially other young up and comers, he deserves a little more scrutiny/criticism. I don’t blame Alpine for looking elsewhere, too bad they handled about as poorly as they possibly could.
Appreciate 1
NYG11512.50
      11-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #448
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Uh-oh, what happened in Monaco, didn't stay in Monaco. Gloves are off now down at camp Verstappen.

Out of the blue, responding to an Instagram post lambasting her son about the Brazil race, Verstappen's mother interfered in the discussion with a - subsequently deleted - reply calling out Perez for cheating on his wife in Monaco: "and then in the evening cheating on his wife". If that post is legit, then it seems that the divide is running deeper than perceived so far.

Is Verstappen's wrath caused either by Perez compromising his Monaco Q3 purple sectors lap as a result of a controversial spin OR Perez winning the Monaco race the next day OR Perez allegedly cheating on his wife after the Monaco race OR all of that OR none of that ?

For sure Marko, Horner and media trainers will have some extra home work this week.

Attachment 3033921

Attachment 3033922
Regardless of what is happening right now or if it's true - Sophie should have never made that comment. Terrible move and does more damage to her son than not saying anything at all.
Appreciate 7
M5Rick65550.50
minn1914403.00
Artemis31257.00
GuidoK12120.00
Mr Pete1666.00
Joachim420.50
      11-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #449
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The white, privileged, rich, successful driver camp dragging another driver’s family through the mud. Deplorable.
What does being white have to do with anything?
Appreciate 5
M5Rick65550.50
GuidoK12120.00
Mr Pete1666.00
Artemis31257.00
      11-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #450
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I guess I don’t get this statement. I know you guys love Alonso, but I don’t see it. He’s borderline overrated since his comeback and is one of the biggest whiners IMO. He’s losing to Ocon in the standings so I’m sure the battles aren’t all Ocon’s fault. Ocon, Gasly and even Riccardo have all managed to get a win and Alonso has only managed to get one podium in that time frame since his comeback? Dude needs to check his ego, whine less and concentrate on driving more. I don’t see it getting any better with his move to AM, but we’ll obviously see next year.
I figured everyone was a fan of Alonso.

I don't think he's overrated at all - once he got the R25, he destroyed prime Schumacher/Ferrari.

He's on a similar level to Ric in terms of making absolutely atrocious business decisions but as a driver, he's easily one of the greatest of all time with a soiled resume because of those moves.

Ocon is ahead of Alonso for very obvious reasons and none of them are skill related. Fernando is 41 years old - he is still capable of winning a championship on the right team. I'm confident that Ocon will never win a championship or come close to it.
Appreciate 6
M5Rick65550.50
minn1914403.00
GuidoK12120.00
Autobacs1451.50
Mr Pete1666.00
      11-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #451
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
I figured everyone was a fan of Alonso.

I don't think he's overrated at all - once he got the R25, he destroyed prime Schumacher/Ferrari.

He's on a similar level to Ric in terms of making absolutely atrocious business decisions but as a driver, he's easily one of the greatest of all time with a soiled resume because of those moves.

Ocon is ahead of Alonso for very obvious reasons and none of them are skill related. Fernando is 41 years old - he is still capable of winning a championship on the right team. I'm confident that Ocon will never win a championship or come close to it.
Notice, I did qualify that all of my opinions are since his comeback. He isn’t worth what he’s getting paid. He is probably one of the greatest, but I’ve never been a fan, his ego/personality has always rubbed the wrong way. Like most F1 drivers he can do no wrong and everyone else to blame. He just seems to always have taken it to another level IMO.
Appreciate 1
NYG11512.50
      11-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #452
br438
Infinite Boulder Roller
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
To be fair, they have been consistent. They have been penalizing most things. Racing incident/clean racing is pretty much dead in this era.

Moving forward, everyone should expect a penalty if any driver tags another driver.
Ha! true - but both should have been penalized in that case.

Racing - the newest victim of the Cost Cap Killer (boo, waahh... etc. hahahahahaa)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:00 PM   #453
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Notice, I did qualify that all of my opinions are since his comeback. He isn’t worth what he’s getting paid. He is probably one of the greatest, but I’ve never been a fan, his ego/personality has always rubbed the wrong way. Like most F1 drivers he can do no wrong and everyone else to blame. He just seems to always have taken it to another level IMO.
True but he's been on Alpine and now he's going to Aston Martin.

Alpine certainly has made some significant steps to the front but I don't see either of those teams being contenders anytime soon. AM is probably less likely considering they're a customer team for engines.

I'd assume Alonso is worth the money for developing the car. If you've got mediocre/inexperienced drivers, it's hard to know whether the car is being driven at it's potential and where the weaknesses are.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick65550.50
Autobacs1451.50
Mr Pete1666.00
      11-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #454
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
True but he's been on Alpine and now he's going to Aston Martin.

Alpine certainly has made some significant steps to the front but I don't see either of those teams being contenders anytime soon. AM is probably less likely considering they're a customer team for engines.

I'd assume Alonso is worth the money for developing the car. If you've got mediocre/inexperienced drivers, it's hard to know whether the car is being driven at it's potential and where the weaknesses are.
Dunno how under or overrated that is. That’s why AM signed Vettel and unfortunately we see how well that went. Danny and Lando are excellent drivers and they’ve decidedly gone backwards. Of course MB to.

Alpine did get to the top of the mid pack heap this year though so that is obviously something. A lot of that is because they stopped having engines that would go boom during a race to I’m sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #455
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Alonso has been corrosive in just about every team he has been in. The fact that he did what he did at McLaren all those years ago for many make him almost a hate figure.

Ferrari, Renault and now Alpine its always someone else fault not his. Good driver but unfortunately with a huge chip on his shoulder IMO.
Appreciate 1
minn1914403.00
      11-16-2022, 08:41 PM   #456
Mr Pete
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Sharkwerks 4.1 GT3. E46 M3 comp. Tacoma

Quote:
Quote:
The white, privileged, rich, successful driver camp dragging another driver's family through the mud. Deplorable.
What does being white have to do with anything?
Damn, this is the problem with 2022. Had to go there. Why the fck does it have to be about race? Why can't it just be, 'oh hell no, you ain't talking shit about me son! Just for that, I'll just start a firestorm of speculative gossip because I love creating drama.' Mama bear just got pissed and showed zero logical restraint.

Have to admit, it's pretty hilarious he got caught. No reason a married father of 3 should be caught in that way. On a boat. Full of hot women. Just don't get caught, but damn he forgot it's 2022 and the iPhone 14 with its super amazing camera lenses, even in the dark. Oye Checo….
Appreciate 2
NYG11512.50
      11-16-2022, 10:35 PM   #457
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
So we're all in agreement a racing incident, so WTF made the panel decide on a 5 second penalty to Max.
according to the stewards

PARAPHRASING

there is a certain racing line that all drivers take in that sequence of corners

when max went round the outside at the first corner and colliding with Lewis in the next corner, Lewis took the natural line, max went off the racing line and rejoined in an unnatural position

in the ensuing collision the greater burden of fault was placed on max due to the unnatural racing line
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 02:56 AM   #458
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
PARAPHRASING
there is a certain racing line that all drivers take in that sequence of corners
when max went round the outside at the first corner and colliding with Lewis in the next corner, Lewis took the natural line, max went off the racing line and rejoined in an unnatural position
in the ensuing collision the greater burden of fault was placed on max due to the unnatural racing line
"Natural racing line" is crucial for setting fast laptimes in F1 qualifications. But it sounds like becoming the new buzz word to criticize bold overtake maneuvers in F1 races ("he did not follow the natural racing line"). Sticking to virtual "natural racing line" corridors on a race track, instead of allowing F1 drivers to use the whole race track, risks to water down "Formula 1 racing" to "Formula 1 natural racing line snoozefests". Some virtual railway track or competitive super market queue.

Up next: "comfort zone". Say no longer "F1 driver X overtook F1 driver Y on the inside / around the outside", but say "F1 driver X violated the comfort zone of F1 driver Y. As a result F1 driver X gained an advantage at the expense of F1 driver Y who suffered moral distress from losing a track position".

OK, all kidding aside, perfectly aware that there are rules and there is abuse of rules - there are limits to what is reasonably acceptable. But more and more, teams and drivers try to influence race stewards with tactical onboard messages claiming that a violation/abuse was committed by a competing F1 driver, when in reality it just comes down to 'a racing incident' or simply to 'racing' itself.

Senna's view about "going for a gap" criticism: 08:08 - 08:29:

Example of gaining an advantage through abuse (Hamilton - 2021 Bahrain - final result: race win only 0.745s ahead of Verstappen, who had to give back P1 in lap 53/56 because of track limits violation):
NYG11512.50
      11-17-2022, 03:56 AM   #459
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post

PARAPHRASING

The other aspect that keeps getting forgotten regardless of the space is he carried way to much speed. He had to accelerate past LH off line into a corner with a far shallower angle. As the video shows he didn't keep the car on the tarmac and went off the side of the circuit. If and I stress if he had still kept on the black stuff I suspect the incident would be less clear.

MV said afterwards he just went for it he had less to lose, the two of them are as bad as each other and bring out the worst in each other. They obviously don't respect each other and are bitter rivals, its kind of what we want sometimes it would be boring if they both went opps sorry after you wouldn't it.
Appreciate 1
minn1914403.00
      11-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #460
M5Rick
General
Rep

Checo denies he crashed on purpose in quali at Portier.
https://racingnews365.com/perez-flat...urt-verstappen
Appreciate 2
NYG11512.50
      11-17-2022, 08:02 AM   #461
M5Rick
General
Rep

Max is sick and tired of clueless media who speculate until jaw lock.
https://racingnews365.com/verstappen...rs-controversy
Appreciate 2
NYG11512.50
      11-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #462
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

While all the Max haters are busy exaggerating the Brazilian GP and forgetting about their LH44 doing the same exact thing.

How about Sebastian Vettel not letting Webber pass then saying he'll never be sorry for doing that?

Appreciate 2
M5Rick65550.50