Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #1
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Electronic Steering Wheel impressions

installed this gem last week.. i almost did it myself but backed out last minute and had bmw do it.. glad i did bc it was not easy.

but this thing is beyond badass. i cruise with the temp display on but the other best features imho are:
-it reads G's [lateral and longitudinal] its def fun to see a # for what u just felt
-u can set the RPM speed at which the LEDs illuminate
-1/4 mile race with a randomized takeoff timer

it has quite a bit more stuff but i will leave some of that for the ppl that buy it to discover

$2k is a lot for a steering wheel, but it is def worth it

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 01-10-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 3
pmatias03119.00
Ickdeep5720.50
RHM5Y3.00
      01-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
installed this gem last week.. i almost did it myself but backed out last minute and had bmw do it.. glad i did bc it was not easy.

but this thing is beyond badass. i cruise with the temp display on but the other best features imho are:
-it reads G's [lateral and longitudinal] its def fun to see a # for what u just felt

it has quite a bit more stuff but i will leave some of that for the ppl that buy it to discover

I have one installed as well and love it. Pricey but worth it if you go to the track and some spirited drive imo
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Looks awesome!!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
JBala84
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5, Audi S4, Audi SQ5

Quote:

Love it
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
Fletch61
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 / 2013 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Nice addition!

Mine came with the car.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/pictur...ictureid=68802

Besides the fact that it looks really cool and gives out good information I love the feel of it. The way it fits your hand, especially in a little spirited driving is very nice. The Alcantra / Carbon Fiber is a nice visual combination.

I agree with BeachM5 ... I don't think this a project that I would have wanted to tackle for a weekend DIY.
BMW Factory Racing Steering Wheel
OpenFlash Stage One
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

seems like a dct-only option.

Any 6MT folks tried this or similar?
      01-09-2020, 03:15 AM   #7
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
seems like a dct-only option.

Any 6MT folks tried this or similar?
hmmm... there arent any dct specific features that i'm aware of, and i alllllmost installed it so i know what was getting tapped and it wasnt anything that would be missing in a manual.

i'm 99% positive it will work in a manual
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Confirmed with my SA; this will and can fit a 6MT (for those who want to consider, same part #). I'll simply loose the heated steering wheel option.

OT I know this SA well since my e90 days and he proposed I consider the Dinan suspension instead of the $$$ on the wheel.

Nonetheless very tempting option. Thx for sharing.
      01-10-2020, 03:44 AM   #9
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Confirmed with my SA; this will and can fit a 6MT (for those who want to consider, same part #). I'll simply loose the heated steering wheel option.

OT I know this SA well since my e90 days and he proposed I consider the Dinan suspension instead of the $$$ on the wheel.

Nonetheless very tempting option. Thx for sharing.
NO disrespect to your SA, but Dinan products are a thing of the past for now. Steve Dinan has sold and moved on from Dinan

I have never fiddled with oem suspension on any car ive had and i think thats why ive never had a problem and nothing is worse than a bad ride
BUT
everyone either gets the oem comp pkg front struts
or the full KW HAS kit for the f10

ALSO
in my opinion you will def get more enjoyment out of the steering wheel and nobody will notice or compliment your 10mm drop or 20% tighter spring rate but everyone will notice and drool over the wheel.

get the wheel, and on a manny.... very special
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

I agree with you OP a 100%. Dinan is not as good today as it once was.

However, when they did the development of the F10 suspension and other pieces on the M5 back in 2013-14, Steve was running the show and it was perfected on his car. I'm not and in no way manner advocating one over the other (intact I prefer to spend the 2k on the wheel as well for visual pleasure). Just wanted to clear any confusion of few select Dinan products which are still better for this car. I driven in a Dinan-suspension M5 and feel it corners slightly better with reduced body roll (my two pain points to my SA few months ago which led to the above suggestion).

Just trying to convince myself if $2k for a wheel is justified. Again, do not want to stir a debate on Dinan vs. others, there is plenty on the forum already on that and more so I do agree with you after Steve sold it to the hedge fund the quality and price of their parts both have gone downhill.
      01-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you OP a 100%. Dinan is not as good today as it once was.

However, when they did the development of the F10 suspension and other pieces on the M5 back in 2013-14, Steve was running the show and it was perfected on his car. I'm not and in no way manner advocating one over the other (intact I prefer to spend the 2k on the wheel as well for visual pleasure). Just wanted to clear any confusion of few select Dinan products which are still better for this car. I driven in a Dinan-suspension M5 and feel it corners slightly better with reduced body roll (my two pain points to my SA few months ago which led to the above suggestion).

Just trying to convince myself if $2k for a wheel is justified. Again, do not want to stir a debate on Dinan vs. others, there is plenty on the forum already on that and more so I do agree with you after Steve sold it to the hedge fund the quality and price of their parts both have gone downhill.
nice. no argument here. our car is a straight line rocket but drives steers and rides way better than any other similar drag car.. think dodge.

id never take this car on hard corners. its too big and too beautiful too damage.

get the steering wheel. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep

Totally. I wish it cornered more flat. Not as much as a Porshe but at least come close. We have a lot of jug handle turns where I live currently and I always find myself correcting from going sideways.

I guess I'm spoilt by my e92.
      01-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #13
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
NO disrespect to your SA, but Dinan products are a thing of the past for now. Steve Dinan has sold and moved on from Dinan

I have never fiddled with oem suspension on any car ive had and i think thats why ive never had a problem and nothing is worse than a bad ride
BUT
everyone either gets the oem comp pkg front struts
or the full KW HAS kit for the f10
Maybe for tuning (although they're changing that) but Dinan engineering team is alive and well and for suspension that feels/rides as good or better than OEM and increases performance, I don't think there's a better option. Sure KW and others are great, but they don't feel like OEM in terms of ride quality. That said, I'm sure the KW HAS is a great kit too, but Dinan suspension is not a thing of the past.