M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
bbellz
Enlisted Member
bbellz's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997.1
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philly burbs

iTrader: (0)

Are these the right plugs for a stock M5? The website says they are but they are so much cheaper than I thought they'd be. $62 for a set vs > $200 for an OEM set.


https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...sch-0242145541
__________________
2013 M5 DCT
2006 997.1 manual
2005 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
rickyf10
Private
rickyf10's Avatar
Canada
38
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: May 2019
Location: VANCOUVER

iTrader: (0)

Possibly. Oem parts with bmw logo are expensive. The ones you mentioned are basically the same thing but without bmw logo. Just make sure you buy the set with correct part number.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
cbakking
Private First Class
9
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: E70-X5M
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyf10 View Post
Possibly. Oem parts with bmw logo are expensive. The ones you mentioned are basically the same thing but without bmw logo. Just make sure you buy the set with correct part number.
FYI - OEM is actually one step colder plug (S63) vs. Bosch - for non-M's (N63), hence the price difference + logo
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:46 AM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
343
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
FYI - OEM is actually one step colder plug (S63) vs. Bosch - for non-M's (N63), hence the price difference + logo
Providing you use the correct bosch part number you will get the right plugs for the s63 from bosch. These will not have the logo on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #5
bbellz
Enlisted Member
bbellz's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997.1
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philly burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbakking View Post
FYI - OEM is actually one step colder plug (S63) vs. Bosch - for non-M's (N63), hence the price difference + logo
Providing you use the correct bosch part number you will get the right plugs for the s63 from bosch. These will not have the logo on them.
That's basically my question. What is the Bosch part # for stock spark plugs.
__________________
2013 M5 DCT
2006 997.1 manual
2005 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:41 AM   #6
bbellz
Enlisted Member
bbellz's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997.1
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philly burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbellz View Post
That's basically my question. What is the Bosch part # for stock spark plugs.
ZMR5TPP330 Bosch for SU63TU engine.
Thanks!
__________________
2013 M5 DCT
2006 997.1 manual
2005 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:57 AM   #7
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
5823
Rep
4,572
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbellz View Post
Thanks!
Think this is right, like all things give engine no. and chassis no. before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #8
Blaxwil
Second Lieutenant
117
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: 2015 M5
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone gone with 1 step colder plugs on a stock engine? Does it help or hurt?

Scenario could be; was stage 2 tuned with 1 step colder plugs, downpipes etc. Then went back to a stock set up. Can you keep the same 1 step colder plugs?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
185
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
FYI - https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showth...ht=spark+plugs
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
vafan13
Private First Class
United_States
59
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Has anyone actually used the 8165 (ZR5TPP330) referenced in that thread?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #11
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
185
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Has anyone actually used the 8165 (ZR5TPP330) referenced in that thread?
Besides the OP of that thread, not sure. I have a set going in this weekend which is why I posted the link. If you look at the applications, the 8165 is used in a ton of other BMW engines. My guess is after some long term testing they realized the larger electrode wasn't needed on the M engines after all. Pair that with increased coil failures and it seems they've decided to phase out that plug.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
vafan13
Private First Class
United_States
59
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Besides the OP of that thread, not sure. I have a set going in this weekend which is why I posted the link. If you look at the applications, the 8165 is used in a ton of other BMW engines. My guess is after some long term testing they realized the larger electrode wasn't needed on the M engines after all. Pair that with increased coil failures and it seems they've decided to phase out that plug.
Gotcha. I'm going to be doing plugs when I get it back out in the spring, so would be curious how these plugs go for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #13
Dwaynos
Captain
Dwaynos's Avatar
United Kingdom
343
Rep
949
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Had 15k on my bosch plugs. Installed stage 1 tune and had misfires. Went 1 step colder NGK plugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
bbellz
Enlisted Member
bbellz's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Porsche 997.1
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philly burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Besides the OP of that thread, not sure. I have a set going in this weekend which is why I posted the link. If you look at the applications, the 8165 is used in a ton of other BMW engines. My guess is after some long term testing they realized the larger electrode wasn't needed on the M engines after all. Pair that with increased coil failures and it seems they've decided to phase out that plug.
Gotcha. I'm going to be doing plugs when I get it back out in the spring, so would be curious how these plugs go for you.
Has anyone actually used the Bosch 8179 or 8165 plugs on a stock car?
__________________
2013 M5 DCT
2006 997.1 manual
2005 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #15
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
5823
Rep
4,572
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbellz View Post
Has anyone actually used the Bosch 8179 or 8165 plugs on a stock car?
Lot of people have their plugs replaced at dealer so wouldn't know number but I remember TLK poster saying a while ago he purchased the ZMR's ready to fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
vafan13
Private First Class
United_States
59
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I've just turned 36k on mine so won't be replacing for quite a while yet (at 50k) and am happy to use whats recommended,the ZMR5TPP330's. For a tune say stage 2,I'd go one colder but only if driven hard a lot.
is that the recommended interval, 50K? I thought people were replacing them more at 30K.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
M5theonlyone
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
5823
Rep
4,572
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 V8 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
is that the recommended interval, 50K? I thought people were replacing them more at 30K.
That depends how you use your motor.If you have tune or even stock and drive it hard a lot then you may want to shorten the interval.Another example of wanting a change is when there is a tune and a colder spark plug is needed for instance if misfires set in..
I'm easy on my M with normally low rpm very light throttle town work and just the odd burst of speed when I'm out on my chosen cop free roads so in my case I don't need them like say someone who lives in an area where it's easy to put the foot down regularly.
Using an fuel additive like say redex with every fill combined with decent fuel like Shell or Costco99 (Mobil) helps keep them cleaner longer and keeps the injectors primed well.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #18
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
thxbuff2001's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: M5s,SCUD,RR,EscESV,xc90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rockwall, TX

iTrader: (0)

Mines a 16. Went in for an oil change. SA said time based service recommended spark plugs. Its covered free. Battery also was low and was changed also. Not bad for a days work.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:08 AM   #19
technician117
Lieutenant
United_States
185
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: 2000 M5, 2013 M5 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Buffalo

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Finished replacing injectors, plugs (8165), coils, MAF's and air filters last weekend. So far so good. She runs better than ever. I'm sure the plugs have the smallest effect, but just thought I'd share. I'll report back if I have any issues I can pinpoint to the different plug. I gapped them at .022, anticipating putting a mild stage 1 tune on it this spring when the weather breaks.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #20
vafan13
Private First Class
United_States
59
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
That depends how you use your motor.If you have tune or even stock and drive it hard a lot then you may want to shorten the interval.Another example of wanting a change is when there is a tune and a colder spark plug is needed for instance if misfires set in..
I'm easy on my M with normally low rpm very light throttle town work and just the odd burst of speed when I'm out on my chosen cop free roads so in my case I don't need them like say someone who lives in an area where it's easy to put the foot down regularly.
Using an fuel additive like say redex with every fill combined with decent fuel like Shell or Costco99 (Mobil) helps keep them cleaner longer and keeps the injectors primed well.
thanks. The previous owner was a doctor and I'm just guessing wasn't crushing it on a regular basis. My own driving habits are similar to yours. I don't do fuel additives on every fill, but have used Techron every so often. Fuel-wise it's 93 octane, typically BP.

guess I'll plan to wait another year for plugs (barring rough idles, etc.), as I'm only at 37K atm and expect I'll only put another 7-8K on it this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #21
aayaz
M Enthusiast
aayaz's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Has anyone gone with 1 step colder plugs on a stock engine? Does it help or hurt?

Scenario could be; was stage 2 tuned with 1 step colder plugs, downpipes etc. Then went back to a stock set up. Can you keep the same 1 step colder plugs?
I have read that going a step colder on a stock engine could potentially be harmful and could be harder to start in cold weather conditions
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #22
AirBull
Private First Class
AirBull's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M5
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Besides the OP of that thread, not sure. I have a set going in this weekend which is why I posted the link. If you look at the applications, the 8165 is used in a ton of other BMW engines. My guess is after some long term testing they realized the larger electrode wasn't needed on the M engines after all. Pair that with increased coil failures and it seems they've decided to phase out that plug.
I was just doing research and seeing if there was a better, more durable plug out there that was available. From my experience in tuning on my previous GM LS motors, a good tuner would know how far you could go without requiring different plugs. If I were to to do a tune, it would only be a stage 1 and I'd want one that did not require me to change plugs, (preferably eat through them no quicker, as well.) I ended up emailing BOSCH and wanted to just share what they told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
Mines a 16. Went in for an oil change. SA said time based service recommended spark plugs. Its covered free. Battery also was low and was changed also. Not bad for a days work.
This must be what happened on my vehicle. The dealer changed the plugs at around 8,000 miles on the odometer and I'm guessing not because it was wholly necessary, but in large part due to the fact BMW would pay for it. Since I got the vehicle 800 miles later, I practically had new plugs and it runs like a Swiss watch.
__________________
2015 BMW F10 M5 | Competition Package | Driving Assistance Pkg | Executive Pkg | Bang & Olufsen | 343M 2NZ wheels

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST