M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

01-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #573
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Man, that's awesome. Keep it long term. I still look at E92 M3's on Autotrader to see if I should just pick up another one. I just don't have garage space currently.

I still think about all the cars I've owned and E92 is the only one I should've kept long term. I had ESS full exhaust and it sounded incredible.
We sound the same lol not only do i also frequent auto trader for another e9x m3 but my previous e92 m3 had an ESS exhaust, well rear section + test pipes. Out of all the cars I've ever owned that's the one I miss the most.
lol. That's funny. I remember finding one that was extremely low mileage, mint condition, good color combo and all the options I wanted. That car sold quickly.

I believe it was around $52k so the good condition ones are starting to hold their value.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      01-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #574
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
So basically over 50% of the lineup are "M cars" now? Way to water down the M badge..... There was a time when the badge meant something, and an "S" engine designation meant something..... I think Mercedes has done the same thing to the AMG badge. I like how Audi distinguishes between the S lineup and the RS lineup.
More than 50 percent of the lineup by version, but cars sold may be weighed more towards non-Ms
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #575
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
The writing has been clearly written on the wall for some time
Scott @scott26 or Jason, can you comment on how BMW M designs and tunes on cars like M240/340/540 and m2/3/5? Inquiring minds would like to know
Appreciate 1
bigdnno98286.50
      01-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #576
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Although the M3/M4 has always been my dream car... we are getting up to 25 cm of snow tonight... this is why some of us choose the M340 over the M3. Do I have to turn in my plates and decals now?
[IMG]IMG_0054 by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      01-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #577
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

God this thread is a dumpster fire.

Fun fact: No one outside of M-owners care. As someone who's owned "real" M cars and non-M BMWs, they're all different flavors of the same thing. Buy what you like and what's going to suit your needs.

If your ego is hurt that badly because now your "Real" M car seems less speshul then you have bigger problems. And making it about the affordability is laughable...I got a major chuckle from that one.

The "real" M cars will be the highest performance variants...if that's what you want then buy it. If it's not then who cares. The lower-end M models are still great cars and it all depends on your needs.

Real world example: I'm in the market right now for a more fun daily driver and I'm considering the M340i simply because it fits my needs better than an F80 M3 (although comparing across generations might not be fair) but I still want a fun, high performance car. Now if I didn't have a GT3 in the garage then yea I'd probably lean M3. But the point is...who the f*ck cares if I choose an M3 or M340i. It doesn't make either of them less of a car.

And back to my first point, 99% of the people on the road don't even think twice about whether you're in a M3 or M340i. To most people, a BMW is a BMW, a Porsche is a Porsche, a Ferrari is a Ferrari, etc. At the end of the day, your M3 is still a high-performance 3-series engineered on the same platform, just like a GT3 is a high-performance Carerra...these cars are more similar than they are different.
JTO245246.50
ubchariot101.50
PDM5150.00
F32Fleet3539.50
vigo57.00
EXE462097.00
brocurls263.00
      01-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #578
0xdq
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacht3 View Post

Fun fact: No one outside of M-owners care. As someone who's owned "real" M cars and non-M BMWs, they're all different flavors of the same thing. Buy what you like and what's going to suit your needs.

If your ego is hurt that badly because now your "Real" M car seems less speshul then you have bigger problems. And making it about the affordability is laughable...I got a major chuckle from that one.

The "real" M cars will be the highest performance variants...if that's what you want then buy it. If it's not then who cares. The lower-end M models are still great cars and it all depends on your needs.

Real world example: I'm in the market right now for a more fun daily driver and I'm considering the M340i simply because it fits my needs better than an F80 M3 (although comparing across generations might not be fair) but I still want a fun, high performance car. Now if I didn't have a GT3 in the garage then yea I'd probably lean M3. But the point is...who the f*ck cares if I choose an M3 or M340i. It doesn't make either of them less of a car.

And back to my first point, 99% of the people on the road don't even think twice about whether you're in a M3 or M340i. To most people, a BMW is a BMW, a Porsche is a Porsche, a Ferrari is a Ferrari, etc. At the end of the day, your M3 is still a high-performance 3-series engineered on the same platform, just like a GT3 is a high-performance Carerra...these cars are more similar than they are different.
Best comment
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:57 PM   #579
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:

Well said. E92 or F80 for example isn't a moniker or code reference to BMW cars, it's the chassis which is a base structural framework for the car. /// only guys need to get it out of their head that these aren't bespoke handcrafted cars any longer.

And from a BMW guy only, I must say that GT3 is absolutely amazing. Careful though, that /// fanboy pulling up next to you may balk at your M340i but yet desire your GT3. Ignorance is bliss.
Appreciate 1
0xdq36.00
      01-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #580
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

By the way, for another opinion on M Cars please google "The Myth of the Real M Car" and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #581
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Well said. E92 or F80 for example isn't a moniker or code reference to BMW cars, it's the chassis which is a base structural framework for the car. /// only guys need to get it out of their head that these aren't bespoke handcrafted cars any longer.

And from a BMW guy only, I must say that GT3 is absolutely amazing. Careful though, that /// fanboy pulling up next to you may balk at your M340i but yet desire your GT3. Ignorance is bliss.
Those are literally BMW chassis codes, though. So yes, they are BMW codes, in a sense. The chassis between the M340i and M3/4 are different enough to warrant anew chassis number code; G20 vs G80/82. (as it also was with F30/32 vs. F80/82).

Save for maybe one guy on here, I don't think any Mx owner believes their car(s) is hand-built, coach-style, a la Rolls Royce... At the end of the day, the M performance cars are incredibly capable; honestly who cares what they call them; it's all to fluff up sales numbers anyway.

I will say, though, stock-for-stock and mod-for-mod, Mx cars will objectively outperform the Mxxx cars of the same generation (not G20 M340i vs F80 M3, but F30 340i vs F80 M3 for example) in 99% of scenarios. That's how BMW designed them, or else why have ///M at all anymore? The argument that if you throw $X amount of money at Y car to make it faster than Z car [in one metric typically] is not a sound argument. With deep enough pockets anything is possible.

Everyone should just enjoy the cars they have and not worry about what the other person thinks... life's too short and this shit doesn't matter.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #582
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
Quote:

Those are literally BMW chassis codes, though. So yes, they are BMW codes, in a sense. The chassis between the M340i and M3/4 are different enough to warrant anew chassis number code; G20 vs G80/82. (as it also was with F30/32 vs. F80/82).

Save for maybe one guy on here, I don't think any Mx owner believes their car(s) is hand-built, coach-style, a la Rolls Royce... At the end of the day, the M performance cars are incredibly capable; honestly who cares what they call them; it's all to fluff up sales numbers anyway.

I will say, though, stock-for-stock and mod-for-mod, Mx cars will objectively outperform the Mxxx cars of the same generation (not G20 M340i vs F80 M3, but F30 340i vs F80 M3 for example) in 99% of scenarios. The argument that if you throw $X amount of money at Y car to make it faster than Z car [in one metric typically] is not a sound argument.

Everyone should just enjoy the cars they have and not worry about what the other person thinks... life's too short and this shit doesn't matter.
Absolutely spot on, that's exactly what I'm saying on everything, and yes I meant chassis reference code.

Yes, the ///M variants will have the highest ceiling, no one here even the MP owners ever questioned that. However, there were some M guys in the thread stating "bespoke" and essence without producing the engineering facts & numbers.

Real M guys, the ones who mod their F80's and F10's know what's up and praise the B58 as an engineering achievement. You go to any prominent tuner from VF Engineering to SSR Performance to Gintani they drool to get to work on the M340i/Supra because they know the engineering characteristics inside/out, just as they do Lamborghini's and McClarens on the daily.

The article premise is are the MP's worthy of the M performance badge? ///M fanboys balk and say no without producing the engineering specifications. From driving experience and engineering numbers I'd personally say, more importantly BMW says, yes.
Appreciate 2
0xdq36.00
Dylan861330.00
      01-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #583
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight22 View Post
I think the most ironic thing about this thread is people arguing over what the actual brand is saying their own cars are classified as.

(Real)M car owner: Hey BMW, the M340 I is a fake M car!
BMW: Uh no, it's an M car now because we make the car and we say it is. Why do you say it isn't?
(Real)M car owner: Because F$#% You!
(FakeM)340i owner: I just got the car because I liked it, not because it has an M.
Well said and spot on. It's not a cost issue as it was in the past because all the M340i's I see are stickered at the dealership are at $70k+, if it's a personal preference to getting a G versus a F M3 then more power to you. The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55. The real problem with this thread is the /// guys getting offended what the manufacturer doing what it wants to do with THEIR monikers. Time to move on to Porsche 👋🏼

Perhaps M division should just split like Genesis did with Hyundai. Just have it be a Motorsport M4 / M5 / M8 etc.
I liked it better when you were actually considering being done with this thread and gave us a peace out.

In reality, as an M owner, I don't give a faaaawwwwk what BMW or anyone else labels the X3m340imperformance etc or anything else like it. I prefer the driving experience an M car delivers. Now, I haven't driven the M340i so can't comment on how it drives but I have drove the X3M40i and it's quite impressive. A colleague of mine just purchased a 2020 and it's quite the machine. But, it's not comparable in many ways to the X3MComp I drove. Doesn't make it shit, it's just not the same. So whatever that means to anyone, I don't care.

I also don't care about anyone's history with the BMW brand, how many driving schools you been to or how small your penis is that your compensating for. I drove the cars I drive for me and that's really all anyone needs to worry about. Stop justifying why you bought an M340i and why you THINK it's so great. You like it and that's why you bought it. Enjoy it. It's quite simple
Hahahahaha the funny thing is I don't own an M340i! And actually considering an S55 soon and moding the shit out of it or an X5 depending on circumstances.

I'm just having an unbiased opinion and defending the brand when all the hard on's who don't know anything about the science of the cars emphatically state why it's not something without ever driving and experiencing the car itself. A few of us are providing the science and data behind the car such as a locking differential, and the /// folks are are arguing it doesn't have the essence.

So it's going to be an endless argument of why it should be considered an M and why it shouldn't be, and a few of us like myself of "who cares? It's a BMW ✊🏼". But you know what none of our opinions actually matter, it's the people that make these cars and that's BMW GmbH.
Problem with your "science" is that you can't throw parts at a car and expect to the drive the same, deliver the same feel or be even close to the same overall experience. And again, this is coming from someone who doesn't care what anyone refers to these new cars as.

There is something to be said about the driving dynamics M cars deliver. Every car analyst out there would agree, cause they've all said it. That doesn't take away from the type of car these M340i M550 etc are. I almost bought an M550. Excellent car, but no M.
How can you make such an ignorant statement, does Wayne Brady need to tell another clown to go sit down?

A car especially one that is not handcrafted and off an assembly is a mechanical machine that's engineered. It's a suspension, drivetrain/differentials, transmission and engine on a chassis managed by an ECU and TCU that can be unlocked or swapped and scientifically adjusted. Anything can be engineered however the F you want. I know a couple people that turned their 135i's into complete 1M track builds from the ground up spec for exact spec and much better with better parts that would smoke a stock 1M in all aspects drivetrain and suspension wise. I know a guy in LA who wanted a F80 M3 wagon here in the states with deep pockets so he did the entire conversion part for exact part, panel to panel to OEM specs even the axel width... with better than M parts. It's the most badass M3 I think I've seen.

It's a mechanical machine, that's all. Not some handcrafted prototype. Have you ever heard of SEMA?? (probably not smh) yeah go look it up before you just start spewing...
Nothing what you just rambled on about makes any sense at all. Turning a base car into a replica M car, makes it a fuckin M car. Putting M parts onto a base 3 series, without the engine, complete suspension etc, doesn't make it an M car.

Who gives a fuck about SEMA anymore? I'd much rather see an average Joe without deep pockets engineer a build than shops with 100000 of sponsors. Cool story though, bro.
      01-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #584
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM340i View Post
Basically the AMG approach. Even though the M340i is 400+ hp car stock, it's not a real M car.
It's 382 not 400+ hp.
He means that 382 is stated HP. Everyone know that BMW under promises but over delivers on the power numbers. This car on a dyno is definitely running 400hp or more. And can be tuned to far more than that. Bottom line the M340i is a fantastic rocket machine. BMW assigns the m moniker to the car, so take your beef to them.
I think this dyno thing to is a myth. When bmw measures power they use certain approach/equipment. And "your" local performance tuning shop uses a different equipment.
To confirm this is a myth consider this:
Bmw lowers numbers for all their cars, why? Some people say due to they don't want to make m3 look underpowered next to m340 with almost same power. But if bmw lower power output for all models then why do it? Don't you think if bmw cars were so much more powerful they would win the market? Isn't it what they want?

Regarding m moniker I actually don't mind it. In fact on their site m performance models were already in the m section if you go to let's say 6 series section.
      01-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #585
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think the most ironic thing about this thread is people arguing over what the actual brand is saying their own cars are classified as.

BMW: Uh no, it's an M car now because we make the car and we say it is. Why do you say it isn't?
(FakeM)340i owner: I just got the car because I liked it, not because it has an M.
Well said and spot on. It's not a cost issue as it was in the past because all the M340i's I see are stickered at the dealership are at $70k+, if it's a personal preference to getting a G versus a F M3 then more power to you. The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55. The real problem with this thread is the /// guys getting offended what the manufacturer doing what it wants to do with THEIR monikers. Time to move on to Porsche 👋🏼

Perhaps M division should just split like Genesis did with Hyundai. Just have it be a Motorsport M4 / M5 / M8 etc.
I liked it better when you were actually considering being done with this thread and gave us a peace out.

In reality, as an M owner, I don't give a faaaawwwwk what BMW or anyone else labels the X3m340imperformance etc or anything else like it. I prefer the driving experience an M car delivers. Now, I haven't driven the M340i so can't comment on how it drives but I have drove the X3M40i and it's quite impressive. A colleague of mine just purchased a 2020 and it's quite the machine. But, it's not comparable in many ways to the X3MComp I drove. Doesn't make it shit, it's just not the same. So whatever that means to anyone, I don't care.

I also don't care about anyone's history with the BMW brand, how many driving schools you been to or how small your penis is that your compensating for. I drove the cars I drive for me and that's really all anyone needs to worry about. Stop justifying why you bought an M340i and why you THINK it's so great. You like it and that's why you bought it. Enjoy it. It's quite simple
Hahahahaha the funny thing is I don't own an M340i! And actually considering an S55 soon and moding the shit out of it or an X5 depending on circumstances.

I'm just having an unbiased opinion and defending the brand when all the hard on's who don't know anything about the science of the cars emphatically state why it's not something without ever driving and experiencing the car itself. A few of us are providing the science and data behind the car such as a locking differential, and the /// folks are are arguing it doesn't have the essence.

So it's going to be an endless argument of why it should be considered an M and why it shouldn't be, and a few of us like myself of "who cares? It's a BMW ✊🏼". But you know what none of our opinions actually matter, it's the people that make these cars and that's BMW GmbH.
Problem with your "science" is that you can't throw parts at a car and expect to the drive the same, deliver the same feel or be even close to the same overall experience. And again, this is coming from someone who doesn't care what anyone refers to these new cars as.

There is something to be said about the driving dynamics M cars deliver. Every car analyst out there would agree, cause they've all said it. That doesn't take away from the type of car these M340i M550 etc are. I almost bought an M550. Excellent car, but no M.
How can you make such an ignorant statement, does Wayne Brady need to tell another clown to go sit down?

A car especially one that is not handcrafted and off an assembly is a mechanical machine that's engineered. It's a suspension, drivetrain/differentials, transmission and engine on a chassis managed by an ECU and TCU that can be unlocked or swapped and scientifically adjusted. Anything can be engineered however the F you want. I know a couple people that turned their 135i's into complete 1M track builds from the ground up spec for exact spec and much better with better parts that would smoke a stock 1M in all aspects drivetrain and suspension wise. I know a guy in LA who wanted a F80 M3 wagon here in the states with deep pockets so he did the entire conversion part for exact part, panel to panel to OEM specs even the axel width... with better than M parts. It's the most badass M3 I think I've seen.

It's a mechanical machine, that's all. Not some handcrafted prototype. Have you ever heard of SEMA?? (probably not smh) yeah go look it up before you just start spewing...
Nothing what you just rambled on about makes any sense at all. Turning a base car into a replica M car, makes it a fuckin M car. Putting M parts onto a base 3 series, without the engine, complete suspension etc, doesn't make it an M car.

Who gives a fuck about SEMA anymore? I'd much rather see an average Joe without deep pockets engineer a build than shops with 100000 of sponsors. Cool story though, bro.
You're a damn fool where did I say the S55 engine wasn't swapped?? And it's actually a better motor vehicle pound-for-pound than "M" made, better "complete suspension etc" (you don't even know what that is)... Don't cry because it's not straight off the assembly line christened by Markus himself glistening with a bow ready for a European delivery. Markus don't care about you except your money.

You also don't know anything about the auto industry (and stay away from it) if you can't acknowledge the most prestigious specialty auto trading event —that's closed to the public— accumulating the auto industry's best engineers... and this coming from an average Joe.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/08/03/b...g-by-eventuri/

https://www.motor1.com/news/386662/bmw-m3-wagon/amp/

And guess what, Markus said the M340i is an M so go take your beef with him.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #586
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're a damn fool where did I say the S55 engine wasn't swapped?? And it's actually a better motor vehicle pound-for-pound than "M" made, better "complete suspension etc" (you don't even know what that is)... Don't cry because it's not straight off the assembly line christened by Markus himself glistening with a bow ready for a European delivery. Markus don't care about you except your money.

You also don't know anything about the auto industry (and stay away from it) if you don't acknowledge the most prestigious specialty auto trading event —that's closed to the public— accumulating the auto industry's best engineers to a single event... and this coming from an average Joe.

Man, you're comprehension is terrible. You're stuck on these swapped cars like their Gods. While I'm over here, on topic, with the M340i that you sat here in this very thread saying it has M stamped suspension parts. That doesn't make it an M car.

I've seen those builds and they're top notch. But they're irrelevant to this thread. They've taken every bit of an M car and transplanted into a non M, thus making a fuckin M. What does that have to do with this thread? You're a lost puppy barking like you have a voice, but you don't even own an M or a relevant car in discussion here.

And no one has "beef", child. Many of us can debate, disagree and move forward with life. Take notes
bm4w144.50
JTO245246.50
JeremyDFW458.00
khanyam4801.50
      01-18-2020, 11:20 PM   #587
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
I guess you have some misunderstanding about comfort ness . With the DCT on the m3, there is no the f80 can be a better daily driver than a m340 (even a base one)
Actually, I don’t have any misunderstanding. I have owned both cars: the F30 335i MSport + M Performance and now the F80 (M3).
Both can be comfortable and both can be harsh if necessary.
One thing I know for sure is that after owning the 335 for about 7 years (e90, 335is and f80), I have realized that there are more differences between the M and MPerformance cars than similarities.

The F80 MPerformance is a completely different car from the f80. And as I previously mentioned, you can make the MPerformance faster and louder and you can put in $25k and it will still not be an M.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #588
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You also don't know anything about the auto industry (and stay away from it) if you don't acknowledge the most prestigious specialty auto trading event —that's closed to the public— accumulating the auto industry's best engineers to a single event... and this coming from an average Joe.

Man, you're comprehension is terrible. You're stuck on these swapped cars like their Gods. While I'm over here, on topic, with the M340i that you sat here in this very thread saying it has M stamped suspension parts. That doesn't make it an M car.

I've seen those builds and they're top notch. But they're irrelevant to this thread. They've taken every bit of an M car and transplanted into a non M, thus making a fuckin M. What does that have to do with this thread? You're a lost puppy barking like you have a voice, but you don't even own an M or a relevant car in discussion here.

And no one has "beef", child. Many of us can debate, disagree and move forward with life. Take notes
It's seeing the potential we can get out of these amazing machines and blocks including the revolutionary B58. BMW tunes these ///M cars conservatively. It's a treat to see them at their full potential which is a testament to the brand. Amazing machines is what we both agree upon no stamp. Didn't realize this thread is exclusive even though I have experience in both MP and M cars.

Obviously we don't see eye to eye on the BMW brand, automobile engineering and the industry.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #589
F82Racer
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Quote:
I guess you have some misunderstanding about comfort ness . With the DCT on the m3, there is no the f80 can be a better daily driver than a m340 (even a base one)
Actually, I don’t have any misunderstanding. I have owned both cars: the F30 335i MSport + M Performance and now the F80 (M3).
One thing I know for sure is that after owning the 335 for about 7 years (e90, 335is and f80), I have realized that there are more differences between the M and MPerformance cars than similarities.

The F80 MPerformance is a completely different car from the f80. And as I previously mentioned, you can make the MPerformance faster and louder and you can put in $25k and it will still not be an M.
You have no idea about what you are talking about. There's no MP version of 335i, and you've owned one lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #590
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Racer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, I don't have any misunderstanding. I have owned both cars: the F30 335i MSport + M Performance and now the F80 (M3).

You have no idea about what you are talking about. There's no MP version of 335i, and you've owned one lol.
Not the same car. Closest thing to the M340i is the 340i MPPSK B58, and I'm not sure that has the ZF8 transmission that will be in the next gen M3.

I think people are getting confused between M Performance add-ons versus an M Performance build engineered by the M division.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:17 AM   #591
F82Racer
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82Racer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, I don't have any misunderstanding. I have owned both cars: the F30 335i MSport + M Performance and now the F80 (M3).

Not the same car. Closest thing to the M340i is the 340i MPPSK B58, and I'm not sure that has the ZF8 transmission that will be in the next gen M3.

I think people are getting confused between M Performance add-ons versus an M Performance build engineered by the M division.
Yeah agreed
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:54 AM   #592
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white

Quote:

Good comment but I think you overshot the point for M owners giving any added attention to the nomenclature topic.

M owners pay attention to topics like these because most non M owners will go out of their way to prove validity to M owners which becomes manaughtness for some odd reason.

Any true M owner understands what they bought, has no need for acceptance, and has owned non M cars to have an opinion either way. Its usually not the other way around.

True Non M cars are well engineered cars that serve a specific purpose but they do not compare to M cars built for light to heavy track duty. If that was the case BMW as a corporation would not have legitimacy in selling a higher priced car tagged M single digit.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:14 AM   #593
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
Quote:

Good comment but I think you overshot the point for M owners giving any added attention to the nomenclature topic.

M owners pay attention to topics like these because most non M owners will go out of their way to prove validity to M owners which becomes manaughtness for some odd reason.

Any true M owner understands what they bought, has no need for acceptance, and has owned non M cars to have an opinion either way. Its usually not the other way around.

True Non M cars are well engineered cars that serve a specific purpose but they do not compare to M cars built for light to heavy track duty. If that was the case BMW as a corporation would not have legitimacy in selling a higher priced car tagged M single digit.
This thread is becoming monotonous! 😉 Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 04:26 AM   #594
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Quote:
Why? An S-line is the worst of all as it's just a trim package. All car manufacturers need to get rid of trim packages. These new MP's M340i, M550i, M850i, XM40i etc. are well engineered machines with locking differentials, track rated suspension, BBK's etc. Pound-for-pound these cars are equivalent to the Audi S' while the actual M Motorsport cars are compared to the RS class. BMW just has tiers "above" that are track friendly such as the M2CS, etc.
Not S-Line..... an S. Like an S5. You have an RS5, an S5, and an A5 possibly with an S-Line package, still not an S5 because the engine is completely different in an S5.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread