BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

F10 M5

Thinking of purchases a 2014 m5 with 29k miles and stage 2 tune. Been hearing a lot about staying away from these cars when tuned because they blow up but was wondering if anyone could give me input. Car is equipped with CCB and is in very good condition and maintained very well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tuned by RK tunes in NY. Thanks everyone. The seller has been very very transparent with me as well. Great guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

If you want one with a tune go for it, you can also ask him what his procedure was for cold start and running etc.These motors need min 2 minute tick over when cold then kept at low revs until oil temp is hot.
Check the CCB's that they are in good order with no chips at the edges or any flakeiness,should be shining smooth.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
If you want one with a tune go for it, you can also ask him what his procedure was for cold start and running etc.These motors need min 2 minute tick over when cold then kept at low revs until oil temp is hot.
Check the CCB's that they are in good order with no chips at the edges or any flakeiness,should be shining smooth.
Quote:
Someone said DD with CCB they'll last the life of the car
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speenybean View Post
Thinking of purchases a 2014 m5 with 29k miles and stage 2 tune. Been hearing a lot about staying away from these cars when tuned because they blow up but was wondering if anyone could give me input. Car is equipped with CCB and is in very good condition and maintained very well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tuned by RK tunes in NY. Thanks everyone. The seller has been very very transparent with me as well. Great guy.
Hey, Yes there is a bunch of horror stories about these but you don't hear about all the owners that are very happy with their cars. Most people on here are on some type of tune (mostly stage 2). Most of the owners that have issues are not reasonable owners. IE getting maintenance done on time and correctly & waiting for the engine to warm up before using all the power. If the car has been maintained well, I'd definitely go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:
Hey, Yes there is a bunch of horror stories about these but you don't hear about all the owners that are very happy with their cars. Most people on here are on some type of tune (mostly stage 2). Most of the owners that have issues are not reasonable owners. IE getting maintenance done on time and correctly & waiting for the engine to warm up before using all the power. If the car has been maintained well, I'd definitely go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:
For sure man. When I bought my X5 2015 50i I heard the same horror stories. People swore the n63tu was a doomsday but it's been well maintained by myself and no problems thus far
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
PoolCar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10M5, 997 - 911

Quote:
If you want one with a tune go for it, you can also ask him what his procedure was for cold start and running etc.These motors need min 2 minute tick over when cold
I'd like to know where you got this nugget from.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolCar View Post
I'd like to know where you got this nugget from.
The warm up? It's common knowledge that engine wear happens most on start ups and it's important to warm it up a bit to get the oil circulating without load.
Known a few technicians who have advised this.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      02-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

I was always told you needed the oil to be warm because it lubricates the turbos, may not be any truth to it but a mechanic told me once and it stuck with any of my turbo cars. I never hit it until my oil is at running temp. I also honor the cold start, more because it's a pain in the azz to drive it when it's revving, he he.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #9
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Frozen Silver M5

How long does it take yours to warm up to near operating temp, just on a normal commute? Even on a warm day it seems like I have to go a good three miles before the needle even moves. I'm not sure which oil is in mine but I'm changing it tomorrow to Castrol Edge 5-50 and will be able to compare.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #10
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

Yeah, it takes awhile. My M5 takes a lot longer than my 3-series did. With turbos you also don't want to turn it off right after hitting it. I was taught to make sure the engine is not "stressed" when you turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:15 AM   #11
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

I think leaving turbo cars to idle was something I was also told with the Alpina B10 biturbo's.... sounds like a sensible idea even now.

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #12
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
How long does it take yours to warm up to near operating temp, just on a normal commute? Even on a warm day it seems like I have to go a good three miles before the needle even moves. I'm not sure which oil is in mine but I'm changing it tomorrow to Castrol Edge 5-50 and will be able to compare.
Over here in UK BMW recommends 0W30 f/s oil of which Castrol Edge do this grade.I believe in US it is recommended also, some owners who have had engines replaced under warranty have said this is the grade of oil that BMW NA dealers have put in.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep

From doing some research people seem to be running all varieties of brands and weights. As long as you do the proper warmup and use a proper oil change interval (not the 10k like BMW suggests) then the motor should be fine. On my E60 I went 4-5k, or about once a year since I don't put many miles on my vehicles.

Basically, this
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showpo...90&postcount=5

Last edited by texsn95; 02-28-2020 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

My M5 sits in a climate controlled garage. She still warms up for at least a good 10min before I go out. Even then it's another few minutes before I get to the open roads. I don't go over 2-3k until I see the oil temp up near normal temps. When I return I always let her sit idling while I unload the car at least 5 min before putting her away. I run Castrol edge 0W40 but the car is stored during winter months.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
Larry7784.50
      02-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #15
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

when I had my car at BMW I talked to the Tech about tunes.

He said that BMW would allow a wide variety of tunes to the car, however if the tune was outside BMW's parameters a warning message would appear on the diagnostic tool that all warranty and goodwill was voided.

If its a tune from a reputable tuner, you should be safe.
It mostly comes down to how it's been used, as for any car really.

On idling warm-up/ cool down.
I typically drive very gentle until the oil is past 70celcius, rarely pass 2500rpm.
on returning after a spirited drive I let the car idle for a minute or so before shutting it off. this too cool down the turbos, as they have been spinning at 40.000rpm and is very hot so I let them cool down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #16
texsn95
Private First Class
Rep

Well I did my first oil change, after a few delays due to not having the right filter wrench (different than the E60s) and getting some jack pads, it went pretty smoothly. The motor starts to warm up much faster, I’d say within a mile now instead of ~3 miles before. Very smooth and seems to rev a bit more freely now (but maybe that’s wishful thinking). Added 9qts and got a level reading of ~70% so onward we go.
      03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
The warm up? It's common knowledge that engine wear happens most on start ups and it's important to warm it up a bit to get the oil circulating without load.
Known a few technicians who have advised this.
My previous vehicle was an LS7 Corvette. I rebuilt the heads and added a slightly higher spec cam in it; (I wish I could have kept it and still got into the M5.) Every time I started the Corvette, I would switch the dash to oil temperature as I would baby it until the oil temps came up. I want to make sure all the critical components are getting adequate lubrication. On the M5, I wait for the needle to start moving before getting on it much more than 2k to 2.5krpm.

Quote:
If you were going to go to a 5w-50 viscosity, Troy Jeup swears by Red Line 5w50; it has an HTHS of like 5.0. Personally, I'm sticking to the Ravenol VST 5w-40 with like a 3.8 HTHS, but that's a helluva lot better than the BMW 0w-30 and it's 2.9 HTHS, (LL-01 FE.)

Quote:
Well I did my first oil change, after a few delays due to not having the right filter wrench (different than the E60s) and getting some jack pads, it went pretty smoothly. The motor starts to warm up much faster, I’d say within a mile now instead of ~3 miles before. Very smooth and seems to rev a bit more freely now (but maybe that’s wishful thinking). Added 9qts and got a level reading of ~70% so onward we go.
When I got my M5, I didn't keep the recently changed BMW oil (assume 0w-30) very long before I swapped it out for Ravenol VST 5w-40, but it does take a while before that oil temperature gauge needle begins to move. I don't get on it until it starts to move. (Hell, let's be honest, I don't get on it very much even at that. Plenty of power for the street.)

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0