BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #1
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

UK LOCKDOWN - And what it means to you....

So after last nights dramatic speech from Boris how will this affect you and your cars....... I'm still undecided how to treat this Re going out for a drive : or maybe leaving the car in the garage and connecting the trickle charger to ensure no electrical gremlins over the next 3 weeks minimum.
I am now currently at home, business closed for now and it would be a perfect opportunity to go out and have some fun in the car, BUT do you risk a fine..... or just use it for going to the shops once a week??
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      03-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
So after last nights dramatic speech from Boris how will this affect you and your cars....... I'm still undecided how to treat this Re going out for a drive : or maybe leaving the car in the garage and connecting the trickle charger to ensure no electrical gremlins over the next 3 weeks minimum.
I am now currently at home, business closed for now and it would be a perfect opportunity to go out and have some fun in the car, BUT do you risk a fine..... or just use it for going to the shops once a week??
Comes into effect from Friday,as far as I know there's nothing about not driving your car, petrol stations will be open.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Comes into effect from Friday,as far as I know there's nothing about not driving your car, petrol stations will be open.
It depends how desperate you are to drive the car. The rules/guidelines are to only go out for exercise once a day or for shopping, driving the car for fun would be against the guidelines pure and simple.

Why cant people just stop at home and stop trying to be clever by looking for loopholes in the advice.

Its simple people will carry on and then he will have no choice but to have a proper lockdown just because common sense is not as common as it used to be.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Quote:
Thought this was from immediate effect?? : which means zero travel expect for one of the 4 exception cases .....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      03-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
It depends how desperate you are to drive the car. The rules/guidelines are to only go out for exercise once a day or for shopping, driving the car for fun would be against the guidelines pure and simple.

Why cant people just stop at home and stop trying to be clever by looking for loopholes in the advice.

Its simple people will carry on and then he will have no choice but to have a proper lockdown just because common sense is not as common as it used to be.
Exactly. People need to think themselves lucky that they are still allowed to do anything. Piss boris off and people will be going nowhere except the shop.

This is not a dig at anyone on here by the way. I've been at work today and the amount of people I've seen walking around in groups is unbelievable.

Stay at home for 3 weeks or have boris make it 12 with the military on the streets.
Appreciate 2
J11SEK268.00
M5Rick60013.50
      03-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Thought this was from immediate effect?? : which means zero travel expect for one of the 4 exception cases .....
May have read that slightly wrong, but taking food to vulnerable people like my mother is allowed.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-29-2020, 01:52 AM   #7
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

From a strictly driving perspective ...I don’t want to be insensitive and i really hope you and your families are all ok.

I have to drive my (daily) M5 to do the lockdown chores. Yesterday my (large) town was literally empty at noon on a Saturday with police roadblocks. In general the roads are like they were in 1980. I’m driving like a saint, no one wants to be Mr Bell End at a time like this.

Entering the town there was a car in front at the checkpoint, he had travelled from the next town along and the copper ripped him apart. I reckon if you got caught hooning in the current climate they would throw the book at you. The motorbikes have been taking the P during the good weather.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-29-2020, 03:50 AM   #8
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
From a strictly driving perspective ...I don't want to be insensitive and i really hope you and your families are all ok.

I have to drive my (daily) M5 to do the lockdown chores. Yesterday my (large) town was literally empty at noon on a Saturday with police roadblocks. In general the roads are like they were in 1980. I'm driving like a saint, no one wants to be Mr Bell End at a time like this.

Entering the town there was a car in front at the checkpoint, he had travelled from the next town along and the copper ripped him apart. I reckon if you got caught hooning in the current climate they would throw the book at you. The motorbikes have been taking the P during the good weather.
Yep I agree..... this sh4t has got a lot more serious lately, and I believe it could be a while longer before we are free to drive our beasts at our pleasure..... :
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:00 AM   #9
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition

I make sure mine is used twice a week, i am still working as we are contractually obligated to fulfill a contract with a client.
So once a week it gets a run to work, only 4 miles away and then once a week i may go the long way round to Tesco!
It's about being sensible. People gathering in groups, kids out playing in groups etc is just foolish. Going for a drive on your own is not risking spreading the virus, so a detour round some nice rounds to the local shops is pretty fair i would think.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 02:49 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10CPROG View Post
I make sure mine is used twice a week, i am still working as we are contractually obligated to fulfill a contract with a client.
So once a week it gets a run to work, only 4 miles away and then once a week i may go the long way round to Tesco!
It's about being sensible. People gathering in groups, kids out playing in groups etc is just foolish. Going for a drive on your own is not risking spreading the virus, so a detour round some nice rounds to the local shops is pretty fair i would think.
That's fine though the risk is other people in the shop, people are forgetful and a person coming close would be risk.With even Boris being tested positive or so it's claimed it's made me edgy going into any shop.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-30-2020, 05:08 AM   #11
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

I'm starting to feel uncomfortable going out as well now, ensure you are all masked up and gloved up if you must leave home. Wash your hands whenever you get back in, my hands are getting ruined with the amount i am washing them.

I have to be extra cautious with high risk people living me with me. I also feel for the people that suffer from anxiety or any other related issues, it must be going through the roof.

May you all be safe! We can unleash the beasts after this is all over with!
Appreciate 2
J11SEK268.00
M5Rick60013.50
      03-30-2020, 05:45 AM   #12
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umz View Post
I'm starting to feel uncomfortable going out as well now, ensure you are all masked up and gloved up if you must leave home. Wash your hands whenever you get back in, my hands are getting ruined with the amount i am washing them.

I have to be extra cautious with high risk people living me with me. I also feel for the people that suffer from anxiety or any other related issues, it must be going through the roof.

May you all be safe! We can unleash the beasts after this is all over with!
I agree..... time to do all the small jobs on your M5 that get put aside due to driving being a better option I've ordered some small cosmetic parts that have just arrived so whilst I'm locked down I will pursue these tasks.....
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60013.50
      03-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #13
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Quote:
I agree..... time to do all the small jobs on your M5 that get put aside due to driving being a better option I've ordered some small cosmetic parts that have just arrived so whilst I'm locked down I will pursue these tasks.....
Im trying to do the same. I am looking for some spacers now - think i will do that next - 12mm all round.
Appreciate 0