M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Range Rover crushed while sitting at a stoplight -- New RR purchased

So my wife was out on Friday evening and she had pulled up to a stop light on 183 heading south. This is an area where there is construction and all lanes are narrowed down to two in between construction barriers. Some idiot from Honduras (no TXDL or US id) ran into the back of her driving a 2014 Toyota Tundra with a Louisiana plate. Not the owner, not on the policy. Here is what the results look like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Pics of replacement car

So because the insurance problem is not going to be resolved quickly and we need the RR, I went out and got an end of year deal. Got 11k off MSRP on this new one. That included $5500 discount and $5000 rebate/trunk money. The latter doesn't affect the selling price. I like the bigger one better than the RR Sport, it's a supercharged and since it's two years newer it has better tech. It's less expensive than a new M5 but about 20k more than the RR sport. However, there wasn't a RR sport in any nearby market that suited our needs so I bought this one here in Austin.

I like the body styling on the Sport better but this one is pretty elegant and has more legroom in back so it's more comfortable for the backseat passengers on a long trip. Just got back from spending Christmas in Plano and the granddaughter and daughter rode back with us in the Sport. The RR is really the best all around vehicle we have owned, this is my third in the last three years. No dissatisfaction with the brand at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Real Nice SUV... congarats...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Just need to change the rims,
Then it will be a solid ride !
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymalu View Post
Real Nice SUV... congarats...
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Just need to change the rims,
Then it will be a solid ride !
Yeah, these aren't the ones I would like. The rims on the totaled one are preferable but the rims for the AB that are better. I may try to get those.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Congrats on the new FFRR; great looking car, a shame about the way you were forced to have to buy it though. However, it goes to show how strong the RR's are to have taken a damn good hit and protected your family as well as it did.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Congrats on the new one, glad to hear your wife walked away ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

I've had 3 RR's when BMW owned them and drove 100K on each of them. I just adore these British brutes.

Did your 2015 run into any problems at all? I know the brand is run by "Tata" now and wondering if there is any ill effects from the take over...
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I'm glad your wife didn't get hurt William.

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Congrats on the new FFRR; great looking car, a shame about the way you were forced to have to buy it though. However, it goes to show how strong the RR's are to have taken a damn good hit and protected your family as well as it did.

Bish
Yeah, my wife was really happy with how strong the RR is. They are well built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I'm glad your wife didn't get hurt William.
Thanks Brian, she was pretty shocked at how the impact just took control of the car away from her. She was sitting at the light and when the impact occurred the wheel was ripped from her hands and the car was lifted off the ground then forced into the divider. The guy admitted to be going about 40 when he hit her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Congrats on the new one, glad to hear your wife walked away ok.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I've had 3 RR's when BMW owned them and drove 100K on each of them. I just adore these British brutes.

Did your 2015 run into any problems at all? I know the brand is run by "Tata" now and wondering if there is any ill effects from the take over...
We had no problems with the 2015, was planning to keep it to at least 50k and probably longer. We had 30k on it in two years owning it. This is the car we put the most miles on, the other two get driven less and stay in the garage. It's a great DD, great on trips and really good off road. We did just complete a fairly extensive service on the 15 for brake pads, new tires, oil and filter, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

At 40 that's a hard hit. Yes blessings because we don't need any of our family's hurt from people not paying attention to their lack of driving

Country run
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Some idiot from Honduras (no TXDL or US id) ran into the back of her driving a 2014 Toyota Tundra with a Louisiana plate
I guess they need to improve driver training and education there in Honduras (?)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
PetrolFumes
Major
Rep
Drives: Raptor, GT3RS,E92 M3,X5M50i

Quote:
So because the insurance problem is not going to be resolved quickly and we need the RR, I went out and got an end of year deal. Got 11k off MSRP on this new one. That included $5500 discount and $5000 rebate/trunk money. The latter doesn't affect the selling price. I like the bigger one better than the RR Sport, it's a supercharged and since it's two years newer it has better tech. It's less expensive than a new M5 but about 20k more than the RR sport. However, there wasn't a RR sport in any nearby market that suited our needs so I bought this one here in Austin.

I like the body styling on the Sport better but this one is pretty elegant and has more legroom in back so it's more comfortable for the backseat passengers on a long trip. Just got back from spending Christmas in Plano and the granddaughter and daughter rode back with us in the Sport. The RR is really the best all around vehicle we have owned, this is my third in the last three years. No dissatisfaction with the brand at all.
bummer on the accident! how are you liking the big body over the sport? I loved making the switch
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolFumes View Post
bummer on the accident! how are you liking the big body over the sport? I loved making the switch
I like it and it's no more difficult to park or maneuver. The extra legroom in the back is great for the passengers and the gas mileage is the same.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
I like it and it's no more difficult to park or maneuver. The extra legroom in the back is great for the passengers and the gas mileage is the same.
Congrats on the new SUV mate, shame it was due to such a terrible reason. Hope all is well and your wife doesn't have any other pains from it.

I had the older Sport during school years (2009 model). I test drove the full-sized HSE and a Velar. Went with the Velar since I don't need the room and it's just a winter beater.

Does yours have the dual screen setup in the infotainment system?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKONE View Post
Congrats on the new SUV mate, shame it was due to such a terrible reason. Hope all is well and your wife doesn't have any other pains from it.

I had the older Sport during school years (2009 model). I test drove the full-sized HSE and a Velar. Went with the Velar since I don't need the room and it's just a winter beater.

Does yours have the dual screen setup in the infotainment system?
Yes it does but I haven't had occasion to try it yet. It's one of the features you don't think about until someone reminds you, like now. One thing it does have is a nice off-road height setting. It is a great off-road vehicle just like the sport was, no problem with deep ruts out in the West Texas boonies west of the Pecos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #17
ARKONE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 458; '16 Escalade; '12 Z4

Quote:
Yes it does but I haven't had occasion to try it yet. It's one of the features you don't think about until someone reminds you, like now. One thing it does have is a nice off-road height setting. It is a great off-road vehicle just like the sport was, no problem with deep ruts out in the West Texas boonies west of the Pecos.
Love the height adjustment on these cars. My Velar isn't as aggressive as the Sport or a fullsized Rover, but mine is a pavement queen! Only off-roading she'll see is the brick roads downtown. Do you use the TR2 system? Or do you do the off-road settings manually? I only use the snow setting, so it's not a big deal, but I know you're down in texas in the oil fields so you're probably using all of them! I've put almost 2k miles on my truck and still haven't used half of the offroad settings.

Regarding all the tech, I have access to the Land Rover iGuide App (AR app) that you can use to look around the car and it'll explain all the settings. If you want, I can shoot you a link for your phone. It's cool, but it's not necessary.

Just ended up buying another SUV today. '16 Escalade Platinum with all the options. Client of mine put down massive amounts of money and the buyout on it was just $45,000. He had a lease for 20,000 miles/year, so he has to pay another $15,000+ in payments for an early lease turn-in, so I did the lease buyout option.

Going to give that one to my dad unless I fall in love with it. Going to take the new Navigator for a spin later this week. Check it out if you can, heard amazing things about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #18
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
When you put it in off-road height it makes some adjustment to the power delivery as though you were in the ruts setting using TR. I have used only a couple of the off-road settings. The one for mud ruts in the woods works great going through soft ground and mud. The other one for rocks works well in the west texas ruts.
Appreciate 0