BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I noticed that the colour was coming off the seat so took the car to BMW who said it must be my belt rubbing on the seat.

I rejected that as I don't wear a belt so they said maybe it's dirty so gave me a can of seat cleaner which didn't work

Clearly the dye is coming off and the dealer said it's wear and tear which I rejected as it's done 14,500 miles and it's not even 2.5 years old

I said if a seat has done this then it's clearly not fit for purpose, all I have done is sat on it, after all it's a seat

Going to go to BMW Customer Service but has anyone else had this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Very common with Silverstone II interiors. My driver seat is pretty worn after 60k miles. It's a weak dye IMO. You have to be careful cleaning this color too. I've found that even mild cleaners can take dye off. So the problem is the light dye gets dirty easily, so you go to clean it and end up taking the dirt and the dye away.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      08-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

You can try claiming for a new covering, you have a good case.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
You can try claiming for a new covering, you have a good case.
That's what I have asked for, wear and tear after 14,000 miles is not acceptable
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
That's what I have asked for, wear and tear after 14,000 miles is not acceptable
Can't see them rejecting that
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can't see them rejecting that
The dealer said they would reject but I basically said no way I am accepting that so speak with BMW CS or I will
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58907.50
      08-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
The dealer said they would reject but I basically said no way I am accepting that so speak with BMW CS or I will
Definitely take it higher, dealer is not know all on everything.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      08-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

The response from my local BMW Dealer

Thank you for your email

With the photos and when inspected we believe that the marks are caused by something rubbing on the cover and not a manufacture defect

BMW give us the guide lines and the next stage is to contact BMW customer service direct

Kind regards
Ian

I have contacted BMW UK to make a complaint as I dont think its reasonable that a seat loses its covering after 14,500 miles and less than 3 years old.

I am really annoyed that they say its caused by rubbing, what else is going to cause it, its a seat and you sit on it. If the coating is coming off then that to me is a defect.

How can it be acceptable that a seat can lose its coating so quickly and BMW say its normal and I should expect it???

Any advice as I am not prepared to just accept that a £95K RRP car can do this after such a short space of time.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
The response from my local BMW Dealer

Thank you for your email

With the photos and when inspected we believe that the marks are caused by something rubbing on the cover and not a manufacture defect

BMW give us the guide lines and the next stage is to contact BMW customer service direct

Kind regards
Ian

I have contacted BMW UK to make a complaint as I dont think its reasonable that a seat loses its covering after 14,500 miles and less than 3 years old.

I am really annoyed that they say its caused by rubbing, what else is going to cause it, its a seat and you sit on it. If the coating is coming off then that to me is a defect.

How can it be acceptable that a seat can lose its coating so quickly and BMW say its normal and I should expect it???

Any advice as I am not prepared to just accept that a £95K RRP car can do this after such a short space of time.
What they are implying is that the rubbing is caused by you moving around which they are saying to refuse responsibility.When driving you can't be moving around so much in such a way as to cause that amount of rubbing without risking losing control.That suggestion in fact is bordering on the ridiculous and the suspension motion wouldn't cause the rubbing they suggest.
If they flatly refuse to replace you can at least insist they treat the leather shade to look as it should comparing with other parts of the seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What they are implying is that the rubbing is caused by you moving around which they are saying to refuse responsibility.When driving you can't be moving around so much in such a way as to cause that amount of rubbing without risking losing control.That suggestion in fact is bordering on the ridiculous and the suspension motion wouldn't cause the rubbing they suggest.
If they flatly refuse to replace you can at least insist they treat the leather shade to look as it should comparing with other parts of the seats.
Its really poor on behalf of Cotswold BMW Cheltenham to simply say its rubbing and wipe their hands of the situation.

I have taken my M5 and previous car to them exclusively for service as I hoped to build a relationship with them so that I had their support when things like this happened. I even drove an extra hour past two other dealerships as I liked their approach.

But it really makes no difference as they basically say its my fault for sitting on a seat made for sitting on.

They had the same attitude when I had the issue with the warped brakes.

I wont go to them again but instead use Dick Lovett even if it does cost more.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Its really poor on behalf of Cotswold BMW Cheltenham to simply say its rubbing and wipe their hands of the situation.

I have taken my M5 and previous car to them exclusively for service as I hoped to build a relationship with them so that I had their support when things like this happened. I even drove an extra hour past two other dealerships as I liked their approach.

But it really makes no difference as they basically say its my fault for sitting on a seat made for sitting on.

Just came charging in from the garden to escape enormous downpour.
File a complaints procedure to Farnborough main office explaining the problem and that under the warranty terms the item has discoloured from main shade on a car that's under 3 years old with minimal mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just came charging in from the garden to escape enormous downpour.
File a complaints procedure to Farnborough main office explaining the problem and that under the warranty terms the item has discoloured from main shade on a car that's under 3 years old with minimal mileage.
Yes spoken to BMW Customer Service who are looking into it
Appreciate 0