M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #67
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Your comparison of new vs used at more than twice the price definitely makes sense.

I suspect you're the type of guy I used to get point-bys from on track in my 1.6 Miata.

Mine was used as well, even at 45K. Crazy market we live in

Also, let's see a 1.6 Miata do a sub 8 min Nurburgring lap. Here is one of mine, so you don't have to suspect any longer. I can honesly say I've never been passed by a stock Miata. V8 swapped Miata? oh yeah! Those things rock!

And a fun lap in a Camaro, so you can tell me how your 1.6 Miata compares

Speed matters.

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 10-19-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
RM72870.00
      10-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #68
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Mine was used as well, even at 45K. Crazy market we live in
And a fun lap in a Camaro, so you can tell me how your 1.6 Miata compares

Speed matters.
Bet those porsches were pissed!
      10-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #69
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
OP, sorry about the
LOL, it's alright. Always good to learn from trackrats on what works.

Anyway, back on topic...

Quote:
I know a Miata is fun, but to me the fun ends when you're not able to keep up with basically anything on a straight.
That's my main pt, I personally don't care about straights, there's no skill involved to do that and I'm confused why many ppl focus on it (that's why there's someone in another thread perplexed when I said that the Bentley should NOT be considered a *performance COTY candidate*...I don't consider behemoths weighing over 5,000lbs anything to do w performance but whatever floats their boat, I guess. I like cars that can really handle the twisties and other technical stuff, and I subscribe to the Colin Chapman credo so no oversized whales please haha.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:54 AM   #70
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The "Green Hell" is a horsepower track. I'm talking my local club track, 1.8 mile, 10 turn, 100 ft of elevation change, IE Hallett. From 6 to 2 (they run the track both ways) even guys in an ACR Viper on 335 Hoosiers couldn't get away from me on 205 RComps.

Unfortunately, I've the lost the taste for spending my weekends in the garage and huge chunks of money going to the track, even though I really miss it. I might have to change that.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #71
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I hear you guys, and I get the sentiment. Simplify and add lightness makes a lot of sense from physics and financial perspectives for consumables.

If I had a dedicated track car, I would go for something light and built specifically for the purpose. Perhaps something like this Rush SR.

https://rushautoworks.com/car_post/rush-sr/

But then I would need a trailer, a truck to tow it, and place to store it all. As it is, I drive to the track and drive the car home at the end of the day if I did things right (that's the prize). And the second prize is if I achieved some driver mod, and a new personal best lap time.

So being limited to 200 thread wear street legal tires, and not having too much time to work on the car, and needing a back seat to pick up my kid after school ... the light choices are unfortunately VERY limited.

Thankfully the heavier options still feel great, and offer very competitive performance, while being fun on the street. Given my goals and how I get my kicks, this makes the most sense to me.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #72
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

100pc get the car that makes sense for your situation.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #73
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If I had a dedicated track car, I would go for something light and built specifically for the purpose. Perhaps something like this Rush SR.

But then I would need a trailer, a truck to tow it, and place to store it all.
I've noticed that car too, looks pretty sick and it would satisfy most track cravings. I'm just a bit concerned if it gets into a crash, the footwell is really forward and doesn't look like there's much protection. If I was in the market for that, I would look at storage at the track (if that's an option) instead of trailering it.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      10-20-2021, 01:19 PM   #74
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The "Green Hell" is a horsepower track. I'm talking my local club track, 1.8 mile, 10 turn, 100 ft of elevation change, IE Hallett. From 6 to 2 (they run the track both ways) even guys in an ACR Viper on 335 Hoosiers couldn't get away from me on 205 RComps.
Exactly, what gives an advantage to certain cars (overpowered but also overweight) on some tracks doesn't mean they'd still walk cars like MX-5s in others. Heck, many tracks are wide so even though they have corners, they aren't really forced to take srs turns like in those videos I've posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #75
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
I hear you guys, and I get the sentiment. Simplify and add lightness makes a lot of sense from physics and financial perspectives for consumables.

But then I would need a trailer, a truck to tow it, and place to store it all. As it is, I drive to the track and drive the car home at the end of the day if I did things right (that's the prize). And the second prize is if I achieved some driver mod, and a new personal best lap time.

So being limited to 200 thread wear street legal tires, and not having too much time to work on the car, and needing a back seat to pick up my kid after school ... the light choices are unfortunately VERY limited.

Thankfully the heavier options still feel great, and offer very competitive performance, while being fun on the street. Given my goals and how I get my kicks, this makes the most sense to me.
That's why the SS 1LE makes so much sense. I just haven't been able to force myself to pull the trigger on one, even after scaring a salesman on a test drive a few years ago.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
RM72870.00
      10-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #76
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's why the SS 1LE makes so much sense. I just haven't been able to force myself to pull the trigger on one, even after scaring a salesman on a test drive a few years ago.
It definitely has it's compromises. For me it was visceral, capable and juuuuust utilitarian enough to win me over. That big V8 with a Tremec 6-speed helps too

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:21 PM   #77
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I've noticed that car too, looks pretty sick and it would satisfy most track cravings. I'm just a bit concerned if it gets into a crash, the footwell is really forward and doesn't look like there's much protection. If I was in the market for that, I would look at storage at the track (if that's an option) instead of trailering it.
I think I could get over the fear. It has crumple zones and anti-intrusion plates for the driver's compartment. Definitely a worth while extra option for sure. 145hp and only 950lbs sounds amazing.

That would be great! I've met a few guys at Nurburgring who live and work in London, but store their 911 GT3 RS's near the track in Germany. What a life!

Unfortunately for me only 1 out of 5 of my local tracks offers storage on site. And it's not a track I visit frequently. Only options I have to drive or trailer.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #78
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
This thread is still going on?

BAC Mono > all other street cars on the planet

Don't get me wrong, I love my Exige, and it handles out of this world, but the BAC Mono can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #79
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love my Exige, and it handles out of this world, but the BAC Mono can't be beat.
Don't take my thread title literally, it's an ongoing discussion, but, ya, ofc, that BAC is insane, highest power-to-wt of the cars I've compiled in my list. Still, even if I had Bezos $ it's crazily-compromised so I wouldn't get it.

...now, back to the discussion for mere mortals
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #80
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

I think you very well knew the intent of the thread.
Appreciate 0