M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-31-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

New Member

Hi all

Long time browser, never registered. This is always the go to forum I've found for technical support, and the dearth of information is absolutely astounding.

In South Africa, Cape Town, have a 2013 pre-LCI F10 M5 in Alpine White (currently broken) and a 2009 E63 M6 in Silverstone Metallic (currently in storage).

Awesome forum, look forward to partaking where I can.

Morgan
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 4
Doctor_X899.00
M5Rick19542.00
Dankrupt158.50
Ickdeep5563.00
      08-31-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 _ Alpine White
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSA View Post
Hi all

Long time browser, never registered. This is always the go to forum I've found for technical support, and the dearth of information is absolutely astounding.

In South Africa, Cape Town, have a 2013 pre-LCI F10 M5 in Alpine White (currently broken) and a 2009 E63 M6 in Silverstone Metallic (currently in storage).

Awesome forum, look forward to partaking where I can.

Morgan
Welcome, beautiful cars, both in their respective ways. What is going on with the F10 that it is currently broken? Hope you can get it back on the road soon, or I would pull the E63 out in the meantime
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #3
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Hi Ruben, thank you for the welcome and the compliments. The issue with the F10, where to begin haha. It's currently man down with a consistent DTM issue, I've been diagnosing for about two months now, finally think the culprit is a faulty secondary O2/lambda sensor (I'm running catless DPs on my car with a tune). But the error has been there since I did the DPs so thought nothing of it. Removed the fuel rail, swapped fuel pumps from bank 1 to bank 2, replaced a fuel pressure sensor, and today after a bit of research it looks like my faulty O2 sensor is the cause of my DTM issue (this after extensive fuel pump testing with ISTA). So with any luck it'll be rectified in the next day or two.

As for the E63, that's currently sitting in another city collecting dust. How sad!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
AlisterB
Second Lieutenant
Australia
137
Rep
284
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Welcome Morgan.

Hopefully you can get the issue(s) with the F10 sorted soon and have it back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:53 AM   #5
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Thank you Alister, hopefully by the end of this week. Got a new O2 sensor yesterday, it's a Bosch universal O2 sensor that needs some sight modification. About a third the price of the BMW one. So keeping my fingers crossed that I have finally found the solution.

This is a great forum, the amount of information available is insane.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #6
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 _ Alpine White
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSA View Post
Hi Ruben, thank you for the welcome and the compliments. The issue with the F10, where to begin haha. It's currently man down with a consistent DTM issue, I've been diagnosing for about two months now, finally think the culprit is a faulty secondary O2/lambda sensor (I'm running catless DPs on my car with a tune). But the error has been there since I did the DPs so thought nothing of it. Removed the fuel rail, swapped fuel pumps from bank 1 to bank 2, replaced a fuel pressure sensor, and today after a bit of research it looks like my faulty O2 sensor is the cause of my DTM issue (this after extensive fuel pump testing with ISTA). So with any luck it'll be rectified in the next day or two.

As for the E63, that's currently sitting in another city collecting dust. How sad!
What tune do you have? I was under the impression that most tunes take care of the O2 sensor issues/lights, and only use the primary sensors and not the secondary/catalyst sensors. I too am running catless DP's. I think i have only gotten a DTM error once, i had a weird like bucking and sudden loss of power while on the highway. It was very quick and random, startled me and pulled over to read the codes, as the check engine and DTM flashed and went away immediately. It had a HPFP code logged but not active, has never happened again.

Hope that fixes your issue so you can get back to enjoying the car, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:55 AM   #7
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
What tune do you have? I was under the impression that most tunes take care of the O2 sensor issues/lights, and only use the primary sensors and not the secondary/catalyst sensors. I too am running catless DP's. I think i have only gotten a DTM error once, i had a weird like bucking and sudden loss of power while on the highway. It was very quick and random, startled me and pulled over to read the codes, as the check engine and DTM flashed and went away immediately. It had a HPFP code logged but not active, has never happened again.

Hope that fixes your issue so you can get back to enjoying the car, good luck.
Hi Ruben, it seems it wasn't the O2 sensor after all, although the car is idling better now since I replaced it. I had mini cats installed in my DPs and never had any issues with the O2 sensors or performance degradation because of them. I suspect that mine failed due to age or something. My car has about 129500kms/83000mls on it. It's just in the last few months it's given me big problems.

However, the O2 sensor didn't fix the issue. I've got a hard coded DTM now. All my tests on fuel pumps etc. seems to show my pumps are working fine. But, I suspect I have leaking valve cover gaskets. I removed my plugs this weekend to check the gaps and they were covered in oil on the cylinders 3,4,5 and 6. So after some research it seems that I need to replace those next. Waiting on the gasket arrivals from BMW and will be doing that in the next short while.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 _ Alpine White
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSA View Post
Hi Ruben, it seems it wasn't the O2 sensor after all, although the car is idling better now since I replaced it. I had mini cats installed in my DPs and never had any issues with the O2 sensors or performance degradation because of them. I suspect that mine failed due to age or something. My car has about 129500kms/83000mls on it. It's just in the last few months it's given me big problems.

However, the O2 sensor didn't fix the issue. I've got a hard coded DTM now. All my tests on fuel pumps etc. seems to show my pumps are working fine. But, I suspect I have leaking valve cover gaskets. I removed my plugs this weekend to check the gaps and they were covered in oil on the cylinders 3,4,5 and 6. So after some research it seems that I need to replace those next. Waiting on the gasket arrivals from BMW and will be doing that in the next short while.
That's a bummer man. The valve cover gaskets seem to be a big PIA for these cars, hopefully that sorts it out. Have you done any kind of vacuum leak test, preferably with a smoke machine?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #9
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
That's a bummer man. The valve cover gaskets seem to be a big PIA for these cars, hopefully that sorts it out. Have you done any kind of vacuum leak test, preferably with a smoke machine?
I haven't actually. But I think I may as well do the gaskets anyway, even if it were precautionary. There's a fair amount of oil burning off somewhere, can smell it and there is a lot of smoke coming from the exhausts, more than a catless DP should I think. I can actually see me doing a full top end refresh on the car, looking at the turbos as well. Driving my wife's car has been a lesson though and does make me appreciate the M5 so much more.

I am just amazed at how fast it all went downhill. This year alone I've done the plugs, the coils, the auxiliary water pump, the fuel pressure sensor, the O2 sensor, the turbo cooling lines, the intercooler boost pipes, it's never ending.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #10
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

So I thought I'd update, because now I am at a loss. The last post I was about to undertake the replacing of the VCGs. Well that's done. And what a terrible job it was too. After replacing the gaskets, reassembling etc., the car started first time no issues (after the fuel pumps had primed and what not). But the car is STILL misfiring. I replaced the coils (again) with OE Bosch units, still misfiring. The weirdest part of it all? Not a single error in ISTA+ or on Carly. Not ONE. So I am beginning to think the worst now, that the engine in this car may be done with. And if that's the case, there's going to be a lot of parts for sale soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 _ Alpine White
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSA View Post
So I thought I'd update, because now I am at a loss. The last post I was about to undertake the replacing of the VCGs. Well that's done. And what a terrible job it was too. After replacing the gaskets, reassembling etc., the car started first time no issues (after the fuel pumps had primed and what not). But the car is STILL misfiring. I replaced the coils (again) with OE Bosch units, still misfiring. The weirdest part of it all? Not a single error in ISTA+ or on Carly. Not ONE. So I am beginning to think the worst now, that the engine in this car may be done with. And if that's the case, there's going to be a lot of parts for sale soon.
That's a bummer man. Have you done compression and leakdown tests? If not I would probably start there. As well as drain oil/drop pan if you can to inspect for any metals possibly. Look through your wire loom as well, i would think it should throw codes, but if the car sits a lot might have rodents or something damaged some of the cables.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #12
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

So I got it running. After doing the valve cover gaskets, fuel pressure sensor, plugs, coils, fuel pump gaskets, new O2 sensor, new fuel injector decoupling elements and turbo gaskets on the air channel side it's running. Took me 4 months worth of work and diagnosing (doing a little here and there) but finally today after replacing the turbo gaskets she fired up, ran some diagnostics, had a discharging battery which made it a bit lumpy then took it for a drive and hey presto. Running smooth as silk now. Was really worried that the engine had blown but it seems that wasn't the case. Now just a steady break in period and I think it'll be right as rain.
Appreciate 5
LSM342.50
Doctor_X899.00
M5Rick19542.00
J11SEK261.00
      10-23-2021, 04:40 AM   #13
M5Rick
Major General
M5Rick's Avatar
United Kingdom
19542
Rep
9,827
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah the rocker cover gaskets replacements mean a lot of removal and time consuming work,with all the other things like might as well do the plugs and coils also on the way. When I think back to my classic TR6 that r/c gasket took under 10 minutes to change and plugs were a cinch lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
MorganSA
New Member
15
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E63 M6
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Yeah the rocker cover gaskets replacements mean a lot of removal and time consuming work,with all the other things like might as well do the plugs and coils also on the way. When I think back to my classic TR6 that r/c gasket took under 10 minutes to change and plugs were a cinch lol
I had to learn on the fly as there's not a well documented process to do it so l do a write up about the process so maybe someone has a bit of insight if they're going to undertake it. Many times I wished it was an old E30 engine lol. But it was a hell of a process. Just very relieved I didn't break anything in the process. Lost a fair few sockets though.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick19542.00
      10-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #15
M5Rick
Major General
M5Rick's Avatar
United Kingdom
19542
Rep
9,827
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSA View Post
I had to learn on the fly as there's not a well documented process to do it so l do a write up about the process so maybe someone has a bit of insight if they're going to undertake it. Many times I wished it was an old E30 engine lol. But it was a hell of a process. Just very relieved I didn't break anything in the process. Lost a fair few sockets though.
Indeed even that bracket that runs across the rear top of engine that holds the ecu's? looks a PITA to even remove.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:07 AM   #16
JoepM5
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 & M3 E30
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Welcome, beautiful cars!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:27 AM   #17
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 _ Alpine White
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganSA View Post
So I got it running. After doing the valve cover gaskets, fuel pressure sensor, plugs, coils, fuel pump gaskets, new O2 sensor, new fuel injector decoupling elements and turbo gaskets on the air channel side it's running. Took me 4 months worth of work and diagnosing (doing a little here and there) but finally today after replacing the turbo gaskets she fired up, ran some diagnostics, had a discharging battery which made it a bit lumpy then took it for a drive and hey presto. Running smooth as silk now. Was really worried that the engine had blown but it seems that wasn't the case. Now just a steady break in period and I think it'll be right as rain.
Awesome man, glad to hear it. Now back to enjoying the car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST