M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
JMLM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Downpipes

Hi - Is there any performance advantage to new de-catted downpipes as compared to gutted stock downpipes? What about sound differences? Going to keep the rest of the stock exhaust system for now on my 2016 M5 Comp. Seems like the gutted would be less costly which is great but not if there are any disadvantages in sound/performance. Thanks.

JMLM5
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

Honestly not a huge cost difference, the labor is the same. Actually more labor with gutting the stock pipes.

If you're looking to go stage 2 tune, then downpipes is a must. More power, louder exhaust and etc.

Oem would will lower the waste gate rattle, if your turbos have them.
      10-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
If you are going to have to do emissions testing I would keep the stock downpipes for inspection days and buy some catless pipes and have them coated by swain tech and get a tune to ignore the CEL. If you tune it for power just don't get greedy with the HP and torque numbers, change the oil often and consider getting a rear diff brace from RKAutowerks
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
sdrawkcaB
Follow the rabbit. 🐇
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Stock downpipes are becoming harder to find for these cars, and more costly. I'd definitely keep them if you remove them. Save them for the off chance you need to return it to stock for emissions or to sell.
      10-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
JMLM5
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Thanks guys...the wastegate rattle I have read about has made me a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. Is this an issue with all years or just older, earlier models?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Get aftermarket ones for sure. You can sell the stock ones for more than pretty much any aftermarket set.

Stock ones are also heavier since they are double walled. This also results in sound reduction.

If you are doing the install yourself, aftermarket is 10x easier to install since the space there is so tight.

I don't see any positives of gutting the stock ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #7
OgGinja
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5

I have gutted OEM downpipes. When I installed a set of de catted down pipes I had the wastegate rattle and a lot more exhaust noise from the engine bay. I noticed that the stock down pipes are dual layer and figured that helped with the noise so just punched out the cats and reinstalled. It saved me some money and didn't hear much of a noise difference (minus the rattle and other exhaust pulses) and didn't feel any power difference between the two.

Last edited by OgGinja; 10-23-2021 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0