BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Warranty consideration for UK owners

So many of you will know the headache that I am having with both BMW extended warrranty. Ill need to purchase this in May 2016 when My manufacturers warranty expires...The extended warranty, even though its branded as BMW is basically run by the third party underwriter Mondial...Mondial have categorically said that they will not offer any form of warranty on a BMW car that is in anyway modified....FULL STOP...they will even consider BMW performance part as a modification and invalidate the entire warranty!

Ive been going round in circles for months now arguing with BMW and Mondial as Im desperate to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and this is the email that I sent to BMW UK and Mondial.....Ive told them that I will be publishing their responses on the various BMW forums so watch this story unfold...

This is my original email

"HI there

I am an owner of a BMW F10 M5 that is becoming increasing frustrated by certain enquiries that I have been making for months now, with regards to potential modifications I wish to make to my car from a warranty point of view…

In May 2016 I will need to purchase the extended BMW warranty which I understand is underwritten by Mondial, a third party but still someone that is operating under the BMW brand…

1) I originally approached them and asked for confirmation if a full extended warranty could be applied to the car if it had an aftermarket exhaust. I was originally under the impression that they would cover the car and say that they would uphold any warranty claim as long as the failure was not as a direct result of the aftermarket modification ie the exhaust – if they had said this, I would accept this as this is what I have been used to when driving previous cars such as Audis (strangely which also had a Mondial third party extended warranty in place). Unfortunately I was told that no warranty AT ALL would be offered on the car if there were to be any form of modification on it…..

2) I subsequently then asked if I were to add a BMW performance exhaust to the car or subsequently any BMW performance parts (a part that is purchased directly from BMW and hence not an “aftermarket” part). Again Mondial confirmed that they would not offer any form of warranty on the car as the exhaust is not the original exhaust to be found on the car even though it is a BMW part…

So this entire scenario has left me extremely frustrated as a car enthusiast but one who wants to maintain a BMW warranty for piece of mind….With regards to point number 1, I have to question the legality of this scenario, ie if I changed the exhaust on the car but I have a problem relating to my heated seats for example where the failure is in no way related to the exhaust, how could Mondial legally deny a warranty claim against the seats…??

With regards to point number 2), this again makes absolute no sense to me as I am purchasing BMW parts.

In essence, as a car enthusiast, if I am not even able to purchase BMW performance parts and keep a BMW extended warranty I will simply not buy a BMW in the future and stick with something like an Audi where I know I will not have this problem through previous experience…

I will await for your response on this matter (this message has been sent to both BMW UK customer services and the providers of the extended warranty) and once a response has been received to ultimately clarify the situation I will post my original email and your response to the various BMW forums that I am very active on as I know there are numerous BMW owners that are asking the same questions that I am as far as aftermarket parts and their affect on warranty, whether it being manufacturers warranty or extended BMW warranty underwritten by Mondial as a third party but utilising the BMW brand

I await your response"
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

How much is the warranty? These are strong cars with very few issues, I'd stick the exhaust on and put the warranty money on the side as your own insured warranty.

How many S63TU have gone bang? This isn't a chocolate Porsche engine after all.
      11-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

THink the warranty is around £800 either with BMW extended warranty/ third party

Id be nervous to NOT have warranty on this type of car....or any performance car for that matter...I know that little niggles can quickly build up in terms of costs let alone major problems...I had extended warranty on mr RS4 and that definately came in handy and whilst I have not have massive warranty claims so far, its still currently saving me money

For me it is a definate must have as long as I own the car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:09 AM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Ive spoken to both BMW and Mondial on the phone with no further success however I still await a formal response via email so I chased them earlier with this follow up message

"I am sending a further email through to ask you to provide a formal response from both Mondial and BMW

Incidently, I have again spoken to both BMW and Mondial and you both appear to have different stances which is leading to further frustration and confusion on my part

1) BMW – you have stated that I can add BMW performance parts to my car with no adverse effect on the manufacturers warranty itself. You have also confirmed that if I add an aftermarket exhaust to the car you will only honour the warranty if the failure is not caused by the aftermarket part itself..This has been confirmed by numerous dealerships as well as BMW centrally and has been my understanding of how warranty operates for all experiences that I have had with BMW as well as my previous cars with Audi’s and Nissans

2) Mondial/Allianz – You have categorically said that you will not offer any form of warranty cover if the car is modified in any form and that includes the use of BMW performance parts – I passed this message back on to BMW who were very confused as well with the stance and also stated that they would be escalating this matter internally. I am now back to square one going backwards and forwards between BMW and Mondial.

As it stands at present, the stance taken by Mondial is not only preventing me from purchasing aftermarket parts for my car but also preventing me from purchasing BMW performance parts (if under the scenario that I want a BMW extended warranty – the key word being BMW….I appreciate that Mondial is the third party offering the extended warranty but you are operating under the BMW brand and in my mind effecting the brand in a very negative way…) hence BMW you should take note of what I am staying as well as other BMW owners or potential owners that I know are thinking the same thing

I am now not able to purchase the BMW extended warranty together with the BMW performance/aftermarket parts so either Mondial looses me as a customer or BMW looses me as a customer.

I still await a formal response to this via email, both from Mondial and BMW…Just to re-affirm, this further email will be placed on the various forums that I am a member of as well as your response if in fact you ever decide to response to this and my previous email

Regards"
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
How much is the warranty? These are strong cars with very few issues, I'd stick the exhaust on and put the warranty money on the side as your own insured warranty.

How many S63TU have gone bang? This isn't a chocolate Porsche engine after all.
don't say that Neil...!
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
don't say that Neil...!
LOL it was the older ones I meant Damo.
      04-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Any update on this?...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

bottom line is that they will not allow any mods
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
Londonboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quite disappointing that they don't even accept M performance parts!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonboy View Post
Quite disappointing that they don't even accept M performance parts!
sorry m performance parts they will...The only exhaust they will accept is the m performance one or the Akra as they are the same thing
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
ammo1980
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
sorry m performance parts they will...The only exhaust they will accept is the m performance one or the Akra as they are the same thing
I'm in the same predicament. Is this definitely confirmed that they will accept M performance exhaust? Also what is your experience with the extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo1980 View Post
I'm in the same predicament. Is this definitely confirmed that they will accept M performance exhaust? Also what is your experience with the extended warranty?
I have the extended warranty and I recently had a claim that was no issue at all, booked it in got fixed and paid the £250 excess, I find that having a good relationship with your BMW Dealer is key as they will put through your claim. Try and always use the same contact as you will then get a rapport built that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #13
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I have the extended warranty and I recently had a claim that was no issue at all, booked it in got fixed and paid the £250 excess, I find that having a good relationship with your BMW Dealer is key as they will put through your claim. Try and always use the same contact as you will then get a rapport built that helps.
Yes agreed, what if you don't mind me asking did you pay for your F10, I assume your covered with BMW, mine is up Sept time, I am seriously thinking none Mondial at the c£1600 people are being quoted.

Its all getting abit silly
Road Tax
Tracker
Crazy insurance
Ghost
Disc lock
CCTV
GAP
Car Jackings
etc

May be time to go electric !!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Quote:
Yes agreed, what if you don't mind me asking did you pay for your F10, I assume your covered with BMW, mine is up Sept time, I am seriously thinking none Mondial at the c£1600 people are being quoted.

Its all getting abit silly
Road Tax
Tracker
Crazy insurance
Ghost
Disc lock
CCTV
GAP
Car Jackings
etc

May be time to go electric !!

Thanks
£1600 is with no excess and monthly payments isn't it??

Warranty is £800 with £250 excess paid in one lump sum

Last edited by OneExtra; 06-25-2020 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #15
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Yes ... continuation of a BMW warranty 800

Starting a ‘new’ bmw warranty c1600

It’s fair enough really, it reflects the value/price paid in/out warranty. I wouldn’t expect to buy a BCA M5 then warranty it for 800.

For me the real discussion is about whether the F10 M5 (unchipped) needs one, but if I raise it again people will throw eggs at me.

There is a useful thread to be had that says:

What repairs the 13-14 cars are all racking up
Whether they would be covered by warranty and if the 250 excess makes it cost effective
How much is m5 specific
How much can be fixed with eBay
How many people have had the nightmare problems, and the specifics of their setup (stage 1 really doesn’t count, you lot are driving monsters, faults are to be expected)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Yes ... continuation of a BMW warranty 800

Starting a ‘new’ bmw warranty c1600

It’s fair enough really, it reflects the value/price paid in/out warranty. I wouldn’t expect to buy a BCA M5 then warranty it for 800.

For me the real discussion is about whether the F10 M5 (unchipped) needs one, but if I raise it again people will throw eggs at me.

There is a useful thread to be had that says:

What repairs the 13-14 cars are all racking up
Whether they would be covered by warranty and if the 250 excess makes it cost effective
How much is m5 specific
How much can be fixed with eBay
How many people have had the nightmare problems, and the specifics of their setup (stage 1 really doesn’t count, you lot are driving monsters, faults are to be expected)
What it comes down to is appetite for risk and the money in your pocket...Ive had my m5 for 6 years now and its been strong - no major problems and what has gone wrong has mainly been covered under warranty

However

Lets now forget this was a 100k car when new and just because you can buy them now for under 20k doesn't mean you should forgot that...The chances of having a catastrophic failure are slim however if something big goes, thats it, big bills time

Its for that reason that I will never drive a car like this without warranty
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:33 AM   #17
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for clarifying, I was actually getting some fictitious quotes based on comparable cars to mine from the AUC website at c£15/£1600

I suppose it makes sense for continuation to be lower, £800 is palatable whereas the £1600 may have me look for alternate providers, having said that I have never used a 3rd party warranty in my 20 yrs of M Car ownership and never had issue with claiming with Mondial
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:24 AM   #18
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree its tempting to risk not having the warranty, I am not that lucky to be honest and one decent breakdown will have all those hindsight thoughts coming back.

I plan on selling at the end of my 4 yr PCP next Sept after which point I shall go back to a manufacturers on the new car
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:37 AM   #19
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ yeah you've had a few issues with your GC so it's probably better for you to move on. Just goes to show even with an approved motor from Bm and all those checks they give it you don't know how it was treated from new with that previous 'owner' knowing he's going to give car up shortly anyway.I'm a tall bloke so it was always an F10 for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:01 AM   #20
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm the first owner and to be honest I guess many of the issues I have had would not have been covered under the extended warranty anyway, also an element of me being rather fussy given I brought car new so it should be perfect
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      06-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #21
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
^ yeah you've had a few issues with your GC so it's probably better for you to move on. Just goes to show even with an approved motor from Bm and all those checks they give it you don't know how it was treated from new with that previous 'owner' knowing he's going to give car up shortly anyway.I'm a tall bloke so it was always an F10 for me.
Don't kid yourself that buying a used car from BMW is better, they barely manage to wash the cars before selling on never mind doing any checks, I would rather buy from a very caring enthusiast than BMW especially if it had a warranty still in period
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
C320337.50
      06-25-2020, 07:33 AM   #22
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Don't kid yourself that buying a used car from BMW is better, they barely manage to wash the cars before selling on never mind doing any checks, I would rather buy from a very caring enthusiast than BMW especially if it had a warranty still in period
That's exactly how I bought mine from a mature private seller with 6 months warranty left. He was only selling because a baby arrived and a GLC would be more practical for them.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50