M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

09-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
BMWBuddha
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

M5 & the iPhone 5

Greetings all...Would someone be kind enough to tell us does the adapter work for the new iPhone, please...& again would someone be kind enough to post the M5's Owner Manual, please.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Not trying to be an ass, but the phone isn't even available yet. It's suppose to be longer and has a different connector, so it's not going to work.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but the phone isn't even available yet. It's suppose to be longer and has a different connector, so it's not going to work.

What he said lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Not to mention this thread on the FIRST page of this section.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744881

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

The adapter would work, but it'd be $10 cheaper to just get the new Lightning USB cable. Either way, the iPhone 5 will work over normal USB, which will give you all functions except video playback and PlugIn, both of which require BMW Apps AND the Media cradle, which is only available for the 4/4S. And no, using the extension cord-style Lightning to dock adapter to connect your iPhone 5 to the dock connector in the Media cradle (so you don't have to worry about the physical fit issue) won't work because that adapter doesn't pass the video output. That method may still work if you want to use it for all of the other functions in order to keep your regular USB port free for another device, but given that the cradle is $200+, I don't see the value.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Or just wait a couple weeks and get the cable on eBay for $5.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Or just wait a couple weeks and get the cable on eBay for $5.

You may be waiting a while: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/...reversible_use

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

That's part of the reason I hate Apple... but still have their phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

The standard lightning cable and the lightning to 30-pin cable both work fine in my M5.
      09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #10
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

What's the advantage of the adapter anyway???
      09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan
What's the advantage of the adapter anyway???
Adapter enables analog audio, required on cars that can't do audio over USB, such as pre-9/2010 production BMWs that use a Y-cable instead. If your car can do digital audio over USB, cable and adapter are functionally identical.

If you mean the cradle, for which an iPhone 5 version isn't yet available, it enables video playback and PlugIn if you have BMW Apps. I had the cradle and sold it never having used it except once to confirm it worked. Other BMW Apps stuff can be cool (Web Radio, Pandora) but the added cradle functions are useless IMHO, and removing your case to make the phone fit was irritating.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Adapter enables analog audio, required on cars that can't do audio over USB, such as pre-9/2010 production BMWs that use a Y-cable instead. If your car can do digital audio over USB, cable and adapter are functionally identical.

If you mean the cradle, for which an iPhone 5 version isn't yet available, it enables video playback and PlugIn if you have BMW Apps. I had the cradle and sold it never having used it except once to confirm it worked. Other BMW Apps stuff can be cool (Web Radio, Pandora) but the added cradle functions are useless IMHO, and removing your case to make the phone fit was irritating.
Got it.

Thx
      10-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #13
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
So just to clarify if I get an iPhone 5 and use it on my F10 M5 everything will work right now except BMW Apps and video plugin? I have a 2008 M3 right now and really just use the BMW native ipod interface (artists, playlist, songs, etc). So all this will work same as it does on my M3 now, right?

I did buy BMW Apps but don't care if I have to wait for a cradle. As long as I have full phone and music I'm ok. I won't miss Apps or video out because I never had it. Maybe someday BMW will make a cradle for iPhone 5 and I'll get it for signal boost and apps
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post
So just to clarify if I get an iPhone 5 and use it on my F10 M5 everything will work right now except BMW Apps and video plugin? I have a 2008 M3 right now and really just use the BMW native ipod interface (artists, playlist, songs, etc). So all this will work same as it does on my M3 now, right?

I did buy BMW Apps but don't care if I have to wait for a cradle. As long as I have full phone and music I'm ok. I won't miss Apps or video out because I never had it. Maybe someday BMW will make a cradle for iPhone 5 and I'll get it for signal boost and apps
Everything will work, INCLUDING Apps, just not the PlugIn and video playback components. But every other aspect of Apps such as Pandora, MOG, and BMW Connected, has always worked over normal USB and will therefore continue to do so with the iPhone 5.

Don't bother with the cradle. I bought it and sold it several months later never having used it except to make sure it worked. You don't get much of a signal boost if any since the iPhone has never included an external antenna connector (leaving induction the only potential source of a boost), PlugIn doesn't work as well with the rest of iDrive and as you say, the native interface is good anyhow, and video playback only works while parked -- and who sits in a parked BMW to watch video anyway?

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Everything will work, INCLUDING Apps, just not the PlugIn and video playback components. But every other aspect of Apps such as Pandora, MOG, and BMW Connected, has always worked over normal USB and will therefore continue to do so with the iPhone 5.

Don't bother with the cradle. I bought it and sold it several months later never having used it except to make sure it worked. You don't get much of a signal boost if any since the iPhone has never included an external antenna connector (leaving induction the only potential source of a boost), PlugIn doesn't work as well with the rest of iDrive and as you say, the native interface is good anyhow, and video playback only works while parked -- and who sits in a parked BMW to watch video anyway?

That's good news. Thanks. I was pretty worried that everything was not going to work when the new phone came out with lightning connector. Video playback don't care about as I would never park and watch video especially in an M5

Plugin would be nice to have but I've never had it anyway so won't miss it maybe as much as somebody who had it and got used to it. Will plugin ever work though since lightning has no video out from what I read? Is plugin for BMW now DOA forever with iPhone 5?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Yeah the Cradle is pretty useless. Only time I find it useful is when you want to charge 2 phones at once.
      10-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #17
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Quote:

Pandora works when streaming but data/album art/etc. will not appear on the iDrive screen with the 2013 system.
      10-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #18
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

Quote:

Are you sure this is accurate? I plugged in my iphone using the USB cable, while it did play music it didn't do much else like ConnectedDrive, Facebook google etc. I ran out and bought the adapter the next day, plugged it in and everything started working. 2013 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonest View Post
Are you sure this is accurate? I plugged in my iphone using the USB cable, while it did play music it didn't do much else like ConnectedDrive, Facebook google etc. I ran out and bought the adapter the next day, plugged it in and everything started working. 2013 M5
I've read that there are some BMW Apps-related glitches on the brand new iDrive system introduced on the M5. Supposedly Pandora won't work and it's a Pandora issue that they're aware of and fixing. I haven't heard issues with parts of BMW Connected, but it wouldn't surprise me. What DOES surprise me though is that it's apparently working for you via the Media cradle but not regular USB? I remember BMW Connected initially failed until I played with it for a bit, and then it worked reliably via both cradle and USB. Have you gone back and confirmed USB still fails after getting it to work through the cradle? I can't see why that would make a difference for the elements you mentioned since those all just use standard USB signals, and thus it shouldn't matter whether those are coming through the cable or cradle, which is just a USB connection plus other outputs.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0