M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

11-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #1
nstseek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 LCI

HPFP issue with 10K miles? / Technical repair software/documentation

Hey guys! I recently bought a F10 M5 with 37K miles on it. Drove it for 1000 mi and had a few issues.

From time to time, it shows a Drivetrain warning message for like 1 or 2 seconds before disappearing. The message says that I can continue my journey but full performance is not available and I should service my car soon, etc.

Whenever this drivetrain message pops up, my engine starts failing for 3-5 seconds and then recovers itself.

Already floored it on the highway, no issues, got to 300km/h, runs perfect without drivetrain message.

Sometimes the engine warning light comes on but it turns off after a while.

I read fault codes in ECU and found a 11C404 "Quantity control valve, control: line break" and 11C402 "Quantity control valve, activation: short circuit to ground" error

That made me guess HPFP issue, am I right? The HPFP was replaced 10K miles ago, how long does it last?

Also checked the turbo coolant and was somewhat low, slightly below minimum, topped it to max and it was below max after 1000 miles or so. No water puddle under the car though.

Also have an issue with the AC, AC module has this error 801194 "Motor front right footwell: blockage", seems like I need to recalibrate stepper flap motors, how can I do it?

The left wheel also snaps/squeaks a little when I'm turning it, even at complete stop.

Another very important question for you guys, I had VW cars for a long time, we had softwares for coding like VCDS/VAGCOM, softwares for parts like ETKA and softwares for maintenance procedures, like ELSA. We also had specific repair scanners/softwares like VAS 5054a and ODIS. Do we have something similar for BMWs? I'm a somewhat experienced mechanic and was used to fix my cars using technical documentation.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nstseek; 11-03-2021 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Have you first tried clearing the DME's and waiting for it to happen again? Then recheck codes to make sure they are all relevant to your current issue. HPFP should last a long time. I'm not familiar with those specific codes, hopefully someone will come along with experience with those. More description of the fault codes would be helpful and may point you in a direction.

I think the wheel noise has a TSB out for it. Try a Google search and see if it pops up. I don't know the remedy.

BMW uses ISTA, ISTA+ for diagnostic software on these cars. It includes the technical data as well. With those letters, you should be able to search for a download or someone selling a laptop with it loaded already. ISTA P is the programming portion but uses a lot of space.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
nstseek
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Have you first tried clearing the DME's and waiting for it to happen again? Then recheck codes to make sure they are all relevant to your current issue. HPFP should last a long time. I'm not familiar with those specific codes, hopefully someone will come along with experience with those. More description of the fault codes would be helpful and may point you in a direction.

I think the wheel noise has a TSB out for it. Try a Google search and see if it pops up. I don't know the remedy.

BMW uses ISTA, ISTA+ for diagnostic software on these cars. It includes the technical data as well. With those letters, you should be able to search for a download or someone selling a laptop with it loaded already. ISTA P is the programming portion but uses a lot of space.
Thanks for the info! Downloaded ISTA+ yesterday but didn't installed it yet. Does it contain documentation on how to do some specific repair procedures on the car?

Already erased DME fault codes, they showed up again after taking the car to a 5-10km ride.

I'm thinking about buying this cable to use with ISTA https://www.ebay.com/itm/39355455137...BoCtlYQAvD_BwE

Does it work?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #4
nstseek
Registered
Rep

Just in case anyone wants to know, I switched HPFP 1 with HPFP 2 and vice versa and the errors disappeared, car is running perfectly fine and I have a total of 0 errors in all modules, it's been 100 miles since then
Appreciate 0