M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Comparison of all different Stage 1 OBD tunes for CP F10

Hey guys,
So I have been thinking about doing a Stage 1 tune on my CP '15 F10 (93 octane and stock exhaust and DPs) and I have been going through posts to find info but there are so many tuners out there that every other day or so I come across a new name. So I am trying my luck here to see if someone has done a post where all tuners are compared for HP and torque gains for Stage 1 tune. Example Bootmod3 vs BPM vs DME vs Dinan, etc.. Whose tune is more reliable, better cost, which tuner provides the biggest gains, etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #2
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

you are only going to get opinion and personal preferences on this question. do your research and read up on all of them and make an informed decision on what you think sounds best and suits you.

max torque for dct is ~620-650

some tunes just clear CEL's while others code it out (for dp's)

etc

(but you dont want a Dinan/ piggyback. u want to choose a dme flash option)

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 09-01-2019 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'd be interested in learning more about Steve Dinan's current shop, Carbahn Autoworks and their Stage 1 tune. It can be applied via the OBD port and not having to remove the DME's. And it's not a piggyback like the Dinan product. It's the only tune I've read about for the F10 M5 where they actually talk about not sacrificing your motor for power that you can only see on a dyno.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...software-only/

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have been doing some research and looks like the average gain with Stage 1 is about 70hp and about 100lb of torque.

I was talking to a local tuner here in VA today and he suggested that besides the tune I should also consider replacing the OEM plastic charge pipes with metal ones and also replace 1 step cooler spark plugs.

Any comments on the above recommendation?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliusa View Post
I have been doing some research and looks like the average gain with Stage 1 is about 70hp and about 100lb of torque.

I was talking to a local tuner here in VA today and he suggested that besides the tune I should also consider replacing the OEM plastic charge pipes with metal ones and also replace 1 step cooler spark plugs.

Not sure about the charge pipes but yes you want to upgrade you spark plugs before going stage 1 or 2.

Also when you go stage 2, you should look into upgrading your clutch as the stock clutch cant handle ~700 whp.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
aliusa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Quote:

Not sure about the charge pipes but yes you want to upgrade you spark plugs before going stage 1 or 2.

Also when you go stage 2, you should look into upgrading your clutch as the stock clutch cant handle ~700 whp.
I'm only considering stage 1 tune right now and maybe an exhaust down the road. What type plugs are recommended (Model or brand name and number)?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
I'm only considering stage 1 tune right now and maybe an exhaust down the road. What type plugs are recommended (Model or brand name and number)?
You dont need to change your plugs with a Stage 1 Tune, maybe it depends on the tune but generally changing plugs is not needed unless you go with Stage 2
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      09-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post
I'd be interested in learning more about Steve Dinan's current shop, Carbahn Autoworks and their Stage 1 tune. It can be applied via the OBD port and not having to remove the DME's. And it's not a piggyback like the Dinan product. It's the only tune I've read about for the F10 M5 where they actually talk about not sacrificing your motor for power that you can only see on a dyno.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...software-only/
Nowadays any tuner who removes the DMEs to do a tune is one to avoid, its all through the OBD port now.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5715.50
      09-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
AirBull
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

Garage List
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Nowadays any tuner who removes the DMEs to do a tune is one to avoid, its all through the OBD port now.
Absolutely. If they don't know how to tune the DME's via OBD, you should question what they know about the tune they are proposing to run on your vehicle. I'd also like a tuner to explain to me how their tune is not damaging my motor and transmission, for peak gains at upper RPM bands that I will rarely to never use.

I don't need specifics or trade secrets, just tell me from a high level that we keep boost levels, AFR, timing, etc. at safe levels throughout the RPM band, and in particular with this DCT, about what they do to ensure that you don't take unnecessary levels of low-RPM torque to burn up your clutches in 1st through 3rd gear. And certainly the case for a stage 1 tune, you shouldn't need colder plugs or even new plugs all together unless your plugs are near the end of their useful life. (~30k miles give or take.)

Like I said above, I really like Steve Dinan and the tune from Carbahn sounds promising and they were the only tuners for the F10 M5 (that I have found) that talks about some of my concerns above. In my experience with tuners from my Corvette days, if they won't take the time to answer your (reasonable) questions, be leery. I don't expect them to teach me how to tune myself, just give me some pertinent details in summary of what they propose to do to my car.

Born 02.27.2015 in Dingolfing
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
F10CPROG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 Competition

Velocity or Evolve seem to be good in the UK
Appreciate 0