Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Competition springs on a standard m5

Hi All

I have seen a few threads floating about on this but wondering if anyone has actually done this who can provide some feedback.

The rear of my car i am happy with the arch space but the front for me is a tad high. Looking at the competition packs they seem to be perfect for my liking as i believe they are maybe 7-10mm lower than standard.

My question to all, has anyone put CP springs on their standard M5?
What is the ride like and how well does the car perform if used with the standard shocks.

And i might as well say beforehand that there are many speed humps and bad roads here in the midlands where i live. So H&R etc are out the equation.

I'm just after something which will decrease my arch space a little
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Davie 3 door
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & 535d Msport

Yes straight fit and drops around 10mm
Still a bit of a gap at the front all he same
Drives exactly same as standard
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie 3 door View Post
Thanks for that mate.
Do you have any part numbers for the competition springs?

I see your after some KW HAS. I recommend you go for them and hand over your comp springs to me
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #4
Davie 3 door
Private
Rep

Lol I have the KWHAS now fitted unfortunately the Comp springs have been prov sold. Will dig out the part no’s
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Not quite true, the Competition Pack makes the M5 handle better and corners flatter, anti roll bars are also different
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
Davie 3 door
Private
Rep

https://share.icloud.com/photos/01_P...d3rmQ#Larkhall

KW HAS on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Not quite true, the Competition Pack makes the M5 handle better and corners flatter, anti roll bars are also different
Thanks for the update mate. However to be fair i just wanted to know the difference in ride quality between a standard M5 and a standard M5 WITH CP springs only.

I can appreciate an actual M5 CP will be much stiffer as they have different anti roll bars and also stiffer shocks.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      10-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looking well nice now mate, no gap at all.
Would love the same look on mine but i would be scraping everywhere i go if i was to do the same.
Was after the CP springs just to even out the arch space as the rear is dipped compared to the front.
Let me know if you can of the part numbers
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raahil View Post
Would love the same look on mine but i would be scraping everywhere i go if i was to do the same.
Was after the CP springs just to even out the arch space as the rear is dipped compared to the front.
I have looked on Real OEM and cannot see springs, call Alex in parts at Cotswold BMW Cheltenham and he will give you a price (discounted) and part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Davie 3 door
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ahh that’s the thing, doesn’t scrape one bit.
Looks well to imo and still drives nice win win
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
mb26
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

My recommendation would be to upgrade everything.
Evolve will recode your dampers and fit the CP anti roll bars, as a package. They offer KW HAS too, but I would go for CP springs it’s essential to match the springs to the dampers....
Only doing dampers, or just springs or just anti roll bars just doesn’t work.
I tried it on my last F10 - just swapped anti roll bars. It made the car much worse..
In my humble opinion - If you care about more than aesthetics - then you need to swap it all at the same time.
I bought a CP M5 to replace my standard version a few weeks back and the suspension is night and day better than a partially upgraded standard car- and steering has WAY more feel too..
it’s a different car!
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      11-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb26 View Post
Evolve will recode your dampers and fit the CP anti roll bars, as a package. They offer KW HAS too, but I would go for CP springs it’s essential to match the springs to the dampers....
I tried it on my last F10 - just swapped anti roll bars. It made the car much worse..
In my humble opinion - If you care about more than aesthetics - then you need to swap it all at the same time.
I bought a CP M5 to replace my standard version a few weeks back and the suspension is night and day better than a partially upgraded standard car- and steering has WAY more feel too..
it’s a different car!
Thats good to know I have a CP car also and did wonder if the upgrade made a huge difference. I did hear before that it made the car a lot more focused.

The ride quality is very impressive even on 20" rims
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #13
huesey1974
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb26 View Post
it’s a different car!
Thats good to know I have a CP car also and did wonder if the upgrade made a huge difference. I did hear before that it made the car a lot more focused.

The ride quality is very impressive even on 20" rims
I was a little worried about getting a CP as i dont like really stiff suspension, however it is amazing, feels really tight and very comfortable. Was amazed to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 04:27 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesey1974 View Post
I was a little worried about getting a CP as i dont like really stiff suspension, however it is amazing, feels really tight and very comfortable. Was amazed to be honest.
The ride on the M5 on 20" rims is better than the 530D i had previously on 19" rims with RFTs
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:24 AM   #15
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks All

It seems going with CP springs is a good option but only if i upgrade everything.
Springs, Shocks, Anti roll bars etc.

I could do with a ride in a CP model to guage how well the suspension setup is Any guys around west mids who could give me a little test ride?. I really do not want anything down the stiff route. My days of lowering springs are over!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
huesey1974
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 competition

Quote:
The ride on the M5 on 20" rims is better than the 530D i had previously on 19" rims with RFTs
I had a CL500 before this and I think the CP is better, feels really amazing. Runflats ruin cars, I had a 335i with RF's and hated the crashy suspension, I changed them to normal tyres and the car was transformed.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      11-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #17
Grizzle34
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 G12 740Ld Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
i also had a 2009 530d with the Spider alloys and running Conti non RFT the M5 is alot softer on comfort than the E60.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #18
mb26
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Thanks All

It seems going with CP springs is a good option but only if i upgrade everything.
Springs, Shocks, Anti roll bars etc.

I could do with a ride in a CP model to guage how well the suspension setup is Any guys around west mids who could give me a little test ride?. I really do not want anything down the stiff route. My days of lowering springs are over!
The CP i thing has stiffer suspension bushes in certain areas and higher ration rack so feels quite different. My wife complains about feeling everything on the road in then CP. never noticed the standard m5 was anything other than a comfortable car. I much prefer the CP... find it just like a very well judged set up. With a lot more body control, grip and traction than the stock car.

It is still a Limo compare to the new E63S... Which is incredibly harsh and massive road noise.... my mate bought one a few months ago and regrets it
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58907.50