M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
chrissun
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Has anybody upgrade to carbon fiber knob and have extra insert for sale?

Hi! I am looking for a new dsg shift knob insert (the sticker part that has the letters on it). I figured someone might of upgraded to the carbon fiber and have an extra insert for sale.

I could buy the carbon one.. but i actually like the brushed better.. here is the carbon one for reference:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...xoCu5oQAvD_BwE

Thanks!
Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissun View Post
Hi! I am looking for a new dsg shift knob insert (the sticker part that has the letters on it). I figured someone might of upgraded to the carbon fiber and have an extra insert for sale.

I could buy the carbon one.. but i actually like the brushed better.. here is the carbon one for reference:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...xoCu5oQAvD_BwE

Thanks!
Chris
yea, bo.
you cant get that piece without buying the trim and it breaks upon removal. if u need a new lens but dont like the carbon fiber, youre gonna have to do like me and buy the CF one, install lens and add the CF to a shelf in your garage.

good news is i'll share the removal trick.
warm it up well with a hairdryer not a heat gun. i wrapped a towel around everything so lens got heat not the radio/dash controls

then use a GUITAR PICK and work it into the seam at the bottom of lens. it will start to lift.
the guitar pick can still damage the aluminum but its pretty safe. but still be careful since u want to keep the aluminum

(or u can order a new aluminum one instead of the CF in case u ding/scratch the alum removing it)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #3
chrissun
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Thanks man...

Seems like a waste, but guess no choice. Id love to go carbon, but ive got the wood trim, so thinking it will look weird.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissun View Post
Thanks man...

Seems like a waste, but guess no choice. Id love to go carbon, but ive got the wood trim, so thinking it will look weird.
personally ive yet to see that CF shifter look good in any interior.

i have CF trim on dash and steering wheel but did not do the shifter or the center console in CF because not everything looks good in CF.

i prefer the black leather console and the aluminum shifter, but the other stuff in CF i love! but CF becomes cheesy quick if its not subtle or a hypercar where its all functional
Appreciate 0