M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

12-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #45
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch61 View Post
So I am back where the car is and got a chance to load the OpenFlash tune. I promised an update when I was able to install it. My observations:

1. OMG!!!!!!!!! The power and torque generated is unbelievable!

2. I am running the Stage One V1.1 91 Octane tune. Air filter upgrade and charcoal filter delete but everything else is stock.

3. The power delivery for regular everyday driving is much smoother than it was pre-tune. Prior to the tune it seemed to me that the power delivery was "touchy" and required finessing to not jostle passengers. That isn't the case now. It you want the car to be smooth and docile it is.

4. When you are not in a docile mood .... well .... be careful and hang on would be my suggestion! The power and torque generated is brutal. I thought the car was (and is) powerful in its stock form. It is nothing compared to this tune. I can't come up with the proper words to describe the sensation. I have owned and driven some powerful cars previous to this but none with the brute slamming force I am seeing generated with the M5.

5. I would extend a word of caution. This tune does turn the M5 in to a totally different car from a performance aspect. You need to spend some time learning how to apply the power. It is totally manageable, however if you slam your right foot down you could very easily find yourself in a situation that is beyond the skill set of a non professional driver. I keep all traction and "nanny" controls on and even at that the electronic stabilizing effect can't keep up with the power delivery. You can easily find yourself in a fishtail if you slam the power on at 60 mph.

6. I am playing with control settings and I am finding that if I have the M settings at Sport and the DCT control on the 3rd bar it is a great combination. It is tame and comfortable enough for around town driving but the brute power is lurking right under the surface if you need or want it. Changing the DCT controls seems to make the biggest difference with the speed and force of the power delivery because it holds the shift longer and engages it faster. I don't bother with the paddle shifters. I find that I can't think or react as quickly as the DCT can.

7. The install was simple and straightforward. I updated the OTS unit on my laptop and then plugged it in to my OBD port. Select TUNE and the tune file that you are wanting to overwrite to the ECU and it starts the install. Note that you will get multiple warnings and lights concerning oil levels, tire pressures, reduced power settings etc from the car during the overwrite. The car will tell you that everything in the world is going wrong all at once but I am assuming that is due to the flash memory being erased. At the end of the tune (it took about 20 minutes) everything goes back to normal. I had no issues with the car throwing codes or displaying any warning lights when the process was done. I have driven it about 300 miles and all is well.

OpenFlash is the only tune that I have used so I have nothing else to compare it to. That said, I couldn't be more satisfied with the final results. If you read through this thread you will see that I had some comments and complaints concerning the length of time it took to get a response when I initially requested the tune for my car. Shiv was apologetic for the delay when he contacted me so that matter was resolved to my complete satisfaction. I am happy with what the tune has done to the car.

A warning note about tuning your car. It will TOTALLY unleash the inner power upgrade junkie in you!! I had no intention of doing anything beyond the tune and now I find myself surfing through the posts on exhaust and intake upgrades and thinking that I probably need to do those! LOL

Oh well .... boys and their toys ....
Very thorough review and write up. Interested in knowing when (approximate date) did you upload your tune?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #46
Fletch61
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 / 2013 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I received the tune from OpenFlash in mid October of this year. I uploaded it to the car 12/22. I have read other posts where they talk about the car "getting used" to the tune over a period of time or miles. I haven't noticed any discernible difference between then and now.
BMW Factory Racing Steering Wheel
OpenFlash Stage One
Appreciate 0