M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Tuning questions

While I'm a newb to this Forum, I'm not new to the tuning world. I own A&A Corvette Performance/ A&A Superchargers in California. I'm considered a pretty good tuner in the Corvette world. That means absolutely squat in the BMW world and I know it.
I had a '12 550i with the Dinan Stage II package for a "nice" daily driver for a bit and liked it. My other car is a '17 Grand Sport that makes 740 RWHP.
My wife won't even drive it.
Long story short, I just bought a low mile '14 M5 with the Competition Package, Ceramic brakes etc.
I ordered Eibach springs today (had them on the 550 and loved them) and really want a tuning solution to get me in the 700 HP range.
I'd just do the Dinan thing again but I really can't justify $3100 when there seems to be a number of options under $1000.
I really just want opinions from members who have actually used, and have experience with, Burger JB4, Racechip etc. I'm not looking for the cheapest, but Dinan seems way out of line.
Honest reviews by actual users would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 01:37 AM   #2
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You only mentioned piggyback tunes. If you're open to flash tunes, then you can simply run a stage 1 flash tune from a number of reputable tuners and easily be at 650rwhp/600+rwtq.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not opposed to that. I was looking at a plug and play solution with multiple maps to start with. I have my own dyno and can actually see what each one does. Some come with logging software as well.
If I'm not happy with that, I could always pull it off and go to a tuner.
Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Pikey Motorsports
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Bootmod3 and Openflash look interesting.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Openflash Tablet is an excellent option with very proven results AND tuners that would be willing to share our insights and guide you; if you care to tune on your own -- you seem fully capable and equipped to do so.

You can even use our stage tune files as basemaps -- they are totally open and editable -- unlike all other options.

They type of power your after may be a stretch without a turbo upgrade and high quality fuels. What type of dyno do you have?

~Anthony
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

It’s a Dynojet 224 X-LC. I have a pretty nice dedicated Dyno room that pulls air from the adjacent room to keep things reasonably cool.
I ordered your tablet this morning. Will I be able to integrate my wide band into the software so I can log it?
I’m also a dealer for Alky Control, so I may have to see about hooking a kit up.
I seriously don’t want to become a BMW tuner. The GM stuff makes my head hurt sometimes. I’ll play with the base maps for a while and see where we end up.
If you’re interested, I can send you a couple of data logs just so you can see how
your base maps are doing.
Thanks, Andy
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
It’s a Dynojet 224 X-LC. I have a pretty nice dedicated Dyno room that pulls air from the adjacent room to keep things reasonably cool.
I ordered your tablet this morning. Will I be able to integrate my wide band into the software so I can log it?
I’m also a dealer for Alky Control, so I may have to see about hooking a kit up.
I seriously don’t want to become a BMW tuner. The GM stuff makes my head hurt sometimes. I’ll play with the base maps for a while and see where we end up.
If you’re interested, I can send you a couple of data logs just so you can see how
your base maps are doing.
Thanks, Andy
Noice!

You won't need an aux WB, the factory sensors on the M5 are WB, and can already be logged.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
Noice!

You won't need an aux WB, the factory sensors on the M5 are WB, and can already be logged.
Well that shows how much I know.
I’ve only had the car a week and am already in full “mod” mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered the Open Flash Tablet.
Something new to play with on my dyno!
Thanks, Anthony
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
OneExtra