M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

01-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
cloverfield
German car enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, Alfa Giulia QV

Using Bimmercode to enable Enhanced Bluetooth (EBT)

In the Bimmercode app, there is a predefined option called "Bluetooth Audio Streaming" in the Headunit ECU for the F10 M5 that can ostensibly be enabled through coding. Does anyone know if this enables the "Enhanced Bluetooth Audio" package the BMW made optional during the F10 production run?

When I tick the box and hit "code" the app tries to execute the update but fails at 50%. The headunit then becomes unavailable until the next ignition cycle and then works fine.

There is documentation online that walks through the process of switching the vehicle order from 6NH (basic BT) to 6NS (enhanced BT) via e-sys but I don't have the cabling or interface. Bimmercode has an expert mode with similar functionality, but I don't want to push code to an ECU if it wouldn't take a pre-defined coding update from the app.

If anyone's already been down this road, please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks!

Last edited by cloverfield; 01-10-2023 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: clarified EBT package name, fixed typo
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
sgsdownhill
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

My car likes to be on a battery charger/tender during coding.

Double check that your cars bluetooth is turned off and your phone in is airplane mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 05:42 PM   #3
cloverfield
German car enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, Alfa Giulia QV

After much hand-wringing and experimenting, I got it working. Something in my house or garage (or the car) was causing bluetooth interference with the OBDLink CX adapter and was causing the coding to fail.

I purchased an ENET OBD to ethernet cable, and an ethernet to lightning adapter from Amazon and they worked flawlessly. Bimmercode is noticeably faster when using physical connections for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 02:18 AM   #4
ChampagneQrtzPapi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverfield View Post
In the Bimmercode app, there is a predefined option called "Bluetooth Audio Streaming" in the Headunit ECU for the F10 M5 that can ostensibly be enabled through coding. Does anyone know if this enables the "Enhanced Bluetooth Audio" package the BMW made optional during the F10 production run?

When I tick the box and hit "code" the app tries to execute the update but fails at 50%. The headunit then becomes unavailable until the next ignition cycle and then works fine.

There is documentation online that walks through the process of switching the vehicle order from 6NH (basic BT) to 6NS (enhanced BT) via e-sys but I don't have the cabling or interface. Bimmercode has an expert mode with similar functionality, but I don't want to push code to an ECU if it wouldn't take a pre-defined coding update from the app.

If anyone's already been down this road, please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks!
Do you have more info on what the Enhanced Bluetooth Audio is and how it differs from the typical?
Appreciate 0