BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Going gold

My alloys have quite a lot of corrosion. I’m a bit disappointed, I’m not a kerber and I suspect that the main dealer I bought it from may have dollied up the alloys before I bought it. There’s no sign of damage and I can’t remember scraping anything.

Anyway I’ve decided I want gold alloys, (blue car) I’ve always loved the blue gold WRC combo.

Just looking at ways to go....

I like the oem wheels, I don’t mind having them recoated. Do ‘paint jobs’ last or do I need them powder coated?

If I bought new gold alloys will it be expensive to get something equivalent in weight and quality to the oem?

The rest of the blue car is trimmed black (or due to be), I’m rubbing my chin and looking at some super naff rear gold m5 badges on amazon/eBay...probably a different discussion.

Budget for the change is decreasing for every week in lockdown..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

I can't say i share your enthusiasm for gold wheels on an M5 but I agree with gold on blue with a Subaru. As it's your car my opinion does not matter.

Anyway, If you get your wheels done you must have them powdercoated, paint is very soft and just gets damaged too easily, the finish is never as good either. I hear people telling me all the time about how they got a good deal on having theirs done, they have to remove the wheels and tyres and it still costs them £250 for normal paint. Most powdercoaters do a drive in service for around 300-350, much better in every way, especially if you don't have another set of wheels to be using while yours are off at the paint shop for however long.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
My alloys have quite a lot of corrosion. I’m a bit disappointed, I’m not a kerber and I suspect that the main dealer I bought it from may have dollied up the alloys before I bought it. There’s no sign of damage and I can’t remember scraping anything.

Anyway I’ve decided I want gold alloys, (blue car) I’ve always loved the blue gold WRC combo.

Just looking at ways to go....

I like the oem wheels, I don’t mind having them recoated. Do ‘paint jobs’ last or do I need them powder coated?

If I bought new gold alloys will it be expensive to get something equivalent in weight and quality to the oem?

The rest of the blue car is trimmed black (or due to be), I’m rubbing my chin and looking at some super naff rear gold m5 badges on amazon/eBay...probably a different discussion.

Budget for the change is decreasing for every week in lockdown..
Any virtual pictures you can show us of how it would look???
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

I hope pasting this image actually works, I seem to have reached the ‘can’t programme the VHS’ age

I appreciate that the images here (random pull) show expensive alloys and tyres and might be out of price range
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Mmm less sure about a gold M5 badge.

Mind you it does say ‘satisfaction 100% guarantee’ how could I possibly go wrong
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
I hope pasting this image actually works, I seem to have reached the ‘can’t programme the VHS’ age

I appreciate that the images here (random pull) show expensive alloys and tyres and might be out of price range
Some decent colour options there.... I've got a Monte Carlo blue car and would have a tough decision Re the shade to choose from that lot
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

A gold M Badge............... What on earth are you thinking. No No No No

Its not a Lexus from the 90s

If you were a Doctor you would be struck off for such actions
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #8