M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
BLiteM
Rep
Drives: 99,04,09 M3s(all sold)2013 M5

Key FOB issue

So I’m not sure what’s going on I replaced my key fob Shell only and now the car intermittently doesn’t recognize the key and I have to hold it up against the steering column to start the engine every other time.

Additionally the car locks and unlocks on its own sometimes. Also the car wont respond to the fob sometimes.

It did blow fuse 14 in the glovebox. I replaced this a few days ago and the fuse is still good now.

Again all I changed was the FOB shell itself the internals have not changed and I was very meticulous with making sure not to touch the electronic component of the key when switching it over to the new fob shell which is identical to the original

The original fob was very worn and I wanted the key to look better, I found the fob shell replacement on eBay for $10 and said why not.

Any ideas what’s going on?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Did you replace the battery in the key? Also, if that fuse blew out "the 15amp" one if I'm right, one of your door lock actuators might be going out.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
Alrock31
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw M5

I had a similar issue and it was a door lock actuator
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
BLiteM
Rep
Drives: 99,04,09 M3s(all sold)2013 M5

Thanks for the insight!

No I didn’t replace the battery in the key as it was working just fine, before I replaced the fob shell.

One interesting thing I noticed is the passenger side rear door “pin” that sticks out of the top of the door card does not retract down as much as the other three doors. that’s also the one that that wouldn’t lock/unlock with the fob, when the other three would.

Also I’ve also noticed that when I walk on outside of the passenger side of the car with the fob in hand the car automatically starts trying to unlock itself repeatedly when it’s already unlocked.

The passenger front door comfort access hasn’t worked since I bought the car, but I hardly use it so didn’t think anything of it. Could the passenger front comfort access door handle need replacing also?
Appreciate 0