M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

04-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Freestyle Libre Blood Glucose Monitor

I tried to hide the rare-earth magnet in my Freestyle Libre on the left arm, to pull in and dispose all the nanites, but they wouldn't shot that arm.

I think THEY are catching on.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614808.50
wdb4641.50
      04-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I tried to hide the rare-earth magnet in my Freestyle Libre on the left arm, to pull in and dispose all the nanites, but they wouldn't shot that arm.
Mental note to self: Put Freestyle Libre sensors with magnets on *both* arms before getting COVID shots, lest I also wind up as a Borg like UncleWede and post things in white text.....
UncleWede17809.50
Esteban41723.00
      04-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Mental note to self: Put Freestyle Libre sensors with magnets on *both* arms before getting COVID shots, lest I also wind up as a Borg like UncleWede and post things in white text.....
Did I make it clear that I had MODFIED a normal FL and inserted the nanite vacuum???

Group buy?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Quote:
Do you really use the Freestyle Libre? If so, how do like it? Is it accurate? Got an RX from your doc? Ins. pays?
      04-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Do you really use the Freestyle Libre? If so, how do like it? Is it accurate? Got an RX from your doc? Ins. pays?
I couldn't wear the DexCom, mainly because of location. I resisted Dr. recommendations to get a CGM for years. But I couldn't figure out what was going on during sleep, finally got the Freestyle. It's pretty close when I do a finger prick, normally within about 10 points. For me, that's plenty good enough.

I went round and round with my insurance in November last year, I asked to get converted from 30-day supply to 90-day mail order (they flat out STOP at 14 days, to the minute) and my insurance said it was no longer on the formulary. After having my Dr. and I both write why I can't wear the Dex, they still denied it. Fine, I'm going to pay out of pocket. Went in, still the insurance price. Had the pharmacy call and confirm, yep, still covering it.

Just last week, previous prescription was up, needed to be renewed by Dr. Guess what, they STILL covered it.

Traveling, even short jaunts, is SO much easier just taking my phone to test my blood! I have to be careful when I dry off out of the shower, and sometimes in confined spaces, so that I don't brush it. But the middle/back of your upper arm is pretty comfortable!
Appreciate 1
Esteban41723.00
      04-05-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I couldn't wear the DexCom, mainly because of location. I resisted Dr. recommendations to get a CGM for years. But I couldn't figure out what was going on during sleep, finally got the Freestyle. It's pretty close when I do a finger prick, normally within about 10 points. For me, that's plenty good enough.

I went round and round with my insurance in November last year, I asked to get converted from 30-day supply to 90-day mail order (they flat out STOP at 14 days, to the minute) and my insurance said it was no longer on the formulary. After having my Dr. and I both write why I can't wear the Dex, they still denied it. Fine, I'm going to pay out of pocket. Went in, still the insurance price. Had the pharmacy call and confirm, yep, still covering it.

Just last week, previous prescription was up, needed to be renewed by Dr. Guess what, they STILL covered it.

Traveling, even short jaunts, is SO much easier just taking my phone to test my blood! I have to be careful when I dry off out of the shower, and sometimes in confined spaces, so that I don't brush it. But the middle/back of your upper arm is pretty comfortable!
Thanks for the info. That's pretty encouraging. Will have to talk to my doc and insurance. Tired of sticking myself.

PS - when you said within about 10 points, was that up or down or both?
      04-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you really use the Freestyle Libre?
Yes, but I only use them for a few weeks at a time.

Quote:
If so, how do like it?
It's convenient when I need to get back into trim. I love the iPhone app's NFC interface, and don't even use the included meter any more. Keep in mind that the Libre 10-day and 14-day units are *not* a CGM. You have to scan it whenever you want a reading. In other words, no alarms if you're not scanning the sensor.

Quote:
Is it accurate?
You're asking the guy who has five weather stations in his back yard and is cursed to never knowing which one is "most right" to say that it's accurate? I use it more for the graph shapes since I'm T2, not the precise numbers. It uses a different type of testing than finger sticks or blood test labs, so you can do finger sticks with a trusted meter and see how it compares...apples to oranges. The FL meter is required by FDA rules to have a backup finger stick capability built-in, which is why pharmacies make you buy the meter even if you will never take it out of the box and use the iPhone NFC app instead.

Quote:
Got an RX from your doc?
Required for all meters and testing supplies in NY State. I do get stick-on bandage-type donut rings as insurance that the sensor doesn't fall off on Amazon without a prescription. Not really necessary, though.

Quote:
Ins. pays?
In my dreams! They are keeping the OTC prices competitive with most insurance co-pays on similar items, so it isn't bad to self-fund it.

FWIW, the Freestyle Libre 2 (CGM!) was recently approved for sale in the USA. The iPhone app has apparently not been approved yet by the FDA, or I'd have that on my arm right now to see how it works.....
      04-05-2021, 08:00 PM   #8
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. That's pretty encouraging. Will have to talk to my doc and insurance. Tired of sticking myself.

PS - when you said within about 10 points, was that up or down or both?
As vreihen16 says, I guess it's not a true CGM since it doesn't alert you. I too simply use my iPhone (there is Android too, I think) can't even remember where the scanner that came with it is.

I pay $75 for 2 sensors, 28 days.

10 points, +/-. More as you get lower, like it might say 46 but a prick shows 60. At that point, all the really matters is I need sugar. . .
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614808.50
Esteban41723.00
      04-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #9
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As vreihen16 says, I guess it's not a true CGM since it doesn't alert you. I too simply use my iPhone (there is Android too, I think) can't even remember where the scanner that came with it is.
It stores every-minute readings in the sensor, where it has an 8-hour buffer IIRC. As long as you scan the sensor before the buffer overflows, you don't lose data. The sensor can't send an instantaneous alert to high/low readings, since it isn't linked 24/7 to the meter or phone like a CGM.

The new (to the USA) FL2 *is* a CGM...but the iPhone app isn't approved by the FDA yet.

Quote:
I pay $75 for 2 sensors, 28 days.
My last bill was $69 for two sensors. Not bad, but you can see why I space out my sensor use to one per month or so to save the money.

Quote:
10 points, +/-. More as you get lower, like it might say 46 but a prick shows 60. At that point, all the really matters is I need sugar. . .
My doctor just wants me to keep it below 150 as much as possible. I rarely have low sugar events, and am not walking the fine line of a T1 patient. It works good enough in my T2 use case.....
      04-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It stores every-minute readings in the sensor, where it has an 8-hour buffer IIRC. As long as you scan the sensor before the buffer overflows, you don't lose data. The sensor can't send an instantaneous alert to high/low readings, since it isn't linked 24/7 to the meter or phone like a CGM.

The new (to the USA) FL2 *is* a CGM...but the iPhone app isn't approved by the FDA yet.

My last bill was $69 for two sensors. Not bad, but you can see why I space out my sensor use to one per month or so to save the money.

My doctor just wants me to keep it below 150 as much as possible. I rarely have low sugar events, and am not walking the fine line of a T1 patient. It works good enough in my T2 use case.....
I'm T2 as well. Yeah, I try to keep it under 150 too. I find that to be "no problemo" (T2 movie reference). lol
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #11
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

I'm not surprised you get better results from the Freestyle Libre. I designed the electronics for two finger-stick glucometers years ago. All meters on the market pretty much work the same way and also suck. The reaction is extremely temperature sensitive and strip mfg can be inconsistent. Some designs are very sensitive to contaminants and dilution with interstitial fluid if you squeeze to get a drop of blood out. The Ascentia (formerly Bayer) meters are among the most precise, but I'm not sure I would call any of them accurate.

Last edited by chris719; 04-06-2021 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50
      04-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #12
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm T2 as well. Yeah, I try to keep it under 150 too. I find that to be "no problemo" (T2 the movie reference). lol
Under 150???
Attached Images

04-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm T2 as well. Yeah, I try to keep it under 150 too. I find that to be "no problemo" (T2 the movie reference). lol
Under 150???
Mine was in the low 200s a while back, but I was having trouble with my injection sites. I've changed them and have been <150 for a while now. Insulin wasn't getting absorbed.
      04-05-2021, 10:18 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

UncleWede, here's a pic of my meter's most recent readings. Don't count the two highest ones. They were that way because of Easter feasting, which only comes once a year, so I'm allowed. lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1614808.50
chris7197226.50
      04-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #15
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Under 150???
I had an outpatient procedure performed two weeks ago, and they did a finger stick right before for their malpractice insurance records. The reading was off the hospital meter's scale! Such drama, and such a lame meter.

Anyway, if your doctor is letting you get away with only 14% in-range with a 175-180 upper target, please let me know if he/she is accepting new patients. My doctor would be SCREAMING at me for being that far out of control.....
      04-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Under 150???
That is impressive! Do you have a maple syrup drip?
Appreciate 3
Esteban41723.00
UncleWede17809.50
vreihen1614808.50
      04-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

If she quits with all the changes, I have an in-office appt with the Dr. tomorrow. We'll see how many lashes I receive.

My toughest challenge right now (and my excuse) is that the gyms are closed. I can only handle running once or twice a week.

IF you combine a 46 with a 246, you get a nice average of 144
Appreciate 1
chris7197226.50
      04-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #18
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Well, she said I was doing pretty good
"NO, no I'm not!"

I do have to say, it's been right at a year since I actually saw her. I think she had just come back from maternity leave at that point. When she walked in the room, I had to do a double take and read the name on her lab coat, she's gained a lot more weight than I have during the pandemic.

New plan is to add 1 unit of Tresiba every 4 days until my morning sugars get back below 150. I added 1 last night, but I also added 29 minutes walking after dinner. 134 this morning.

6 weeks return to see how we are doing.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614808.50
Esteban41723.00
      04-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, she said I was doing pretty good
"NO, no I'm not!"

I do have to say, it's been right at a year since I actually saw her. I think she had just come back from maternity leave at that point. When she walked in the room, I had to do a double take and read the name on her lab coat, she's gained a lot more weight than I have during the pandemic.

New plan is to add 1 unit of Tresiba every 4 days until my morning sugars get back below 150. I added 1 last night, but I also added 29 minutes walking after dinner. 134 this morning.

6 weeks return to see how we are doing.
Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #20
evil-G-nius
Broke A$$ Super Hero
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37 S Coupe

THe sensor seemed like such a pain in the ass I decided against it. I play (PLAYED) basketball every week and I thought that having that thing on my arm in a contact sport might not be the best idea. I hVe a small kit and I can easily travel with it no problem. I test once a day when I get up in the morning and that is it. I am also type 2 and lately my avg has been below 100. A spike for me is like 110-130. When I was diagnosed my Glucose numbers were in the high 300's and my A1C was like 11. In 2 months I got it down to 150's and A1C down into the 6's. Now like I said I average under 100 and my A1C (last checked) was 5.4
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614808.50
      04-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #21
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
THe sensor seemed like such a pain in the ass I decided against it. I play (PLAYED) basketball every week and I thought that having that thing on my arm in a contact sport might not be the best idea.
Type 1. I play(ED) soccer. Having the Dexcom on my belly when I was cast as goalkeeper just didn't work. Even when I was an outfielder, having the Dex on my belly was an issue, in part just to keep it in place. Do you have any idea how weird it feels to run with an Ace bandage wrapped around your belly???
Having the Libre on my arm was a non-issue, and at 1/2 I could do a quick check to see if I still belonged on the field, or needed a glucose break.
Appreciate 2
chris7197226.50
      04-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Even when I was an outfielder, having the Dex on my belly was an issue, in part just to keep it in place. Do you have any idea how weird it feels to run with an Ace bandage wrapped around your belly???
Probably not as bad as playing volleyball in a charity tournament with a 7-pound IV infusion pump of heart medication hanging from your neck!

I've never had issues with the Libre sensors being in my way on the back of my arms. The breathable aftermarket "donut" bandages they sell on Amazon to help hold the Libre sensors on work fine for me as additional insurance.....