Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16

Winter tyres

Hey Guys .. just thinking of swapping out my regular michelins on the rear axle for some winter ones in the UK .. any advice of choice ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

So, let me get this straight

You want a car that accelerates but doesn't turn or stop? Why would you want that?

If you need winter tyres on the rear, you need them just as much or more on the front. Anyone who tells you different is talking out of his ....err....is incorrect

Last edited by SteveC; 10-31-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Good way to die.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

4 winter tyres is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
4 winter tyres is the way to go.
Thanx .. just looking for some help and not smart arse comments as previous posters.. turns out Ive been driving accident free for 30 years ? touch wood... long may that continue

I'm no track racer but just a bit frustrated with the weather here in Scotland, and would rather save my Michelins for summer as they are a bit too much rubber for our wet roads in winter I feel

From some research these continentals seem to be good

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...19-104w-131584

I see them mentioned elsewhere here .. but in reality .. I'm wondering if its worth doing at all ? .. I dont take my M out in the ice or snow, and I live in a really hilly area, so I'm just looking for something to enhance my wet weather driving
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
deathray
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, iX 50, Range Rover

It depends on the temperatures you generally face. If you are regularly seeing less than 7C then winter rubber might help you out because it is softer. Otherwise, in warm temps, the Michelin PSS are some of the best wet road tires I have ever driven - far superior to winters.

I don't run the conti's you linked for my winters, I run Michelin PA4's and I'm pretty happy with them as far as winter tires go.

If you do drive in low temps, I would also suggest changing all 4 rather than just 2 tires so that you maintain balanced handling characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 03:17 AM   #7
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Thanx .. just looking for some help and not smart arse comments as previous posters.. turns out Ive been driving accident free for 30 years ? touch wood... long may that continue

I'm no track racer but just a bit frustrated with the weather here in Scotland, and would rather save my Michelins for summer as they are a bit too much rubber for our wet roads in winter I feel

From some research these continentals seem to be good

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...19-104w-131584

I see them mentioned elsewhere here .. but in reality .. I'm wondering if its worth doing at all ? .. I dont take my M out in the ice or snow, and I live in a really hilly area, so I'm just looking for something to enhance my wet weather driving

Here's the thing. The standard Michelins do not function AT ALL in winter conditions. Premium winter tyres are world's better when temperatures are very low.

One day last winter I took my car out and the roads were wet. As I drove South it started to gently snow but not settle. As I progressed the snow got worse and I noticed it was settling on parts of the motorway that weren't driven. I decided to turn around and took the next off ramp, which was a very gentle incline up to a huge roundabout. There were a couple of cars waiting to enter the roundabout and the road surface had maybe an inch of slush. It came to my turn to pull onto the roundabout...I had about 300 yards of visibility and the road was clear so I started to very gently pull away. Unfortunately all I got was spinning wheels and very little forward motion. A truck appeared and I had to stop. I had two more attempts, by which time my heart rate was way high and I had a queue of cars forming behind me.
My car would simply spin its wheels and edge forward at a snails pace, gathering no speed. Anyone coming around the roundabout would assume I was going to pull away and would not make allowance for the fact I had absolutely no traction and could not get out of their way. Eventually I did get going but only after creeping onto the roundabout and taking a couple of hundred meters to gain some momentum. I took my car straight home and left it there.

So its not just taking your car out in snow and ice.....you shouldn't take it out with even a chance of freezing conditions because it will get you into trouble the moment there's so much as an ice crystal on the road surface
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Well it seems the conti's are about £300 notes cheaper for the set of 4 , than the Michelins but the P4's seem to be well regarded, and I suppose as it was the pss that was the stock fit, I should go with them ? My local fitters are happy to fit Internet bought tyres which is good ... I'm also of the mind that although its an extra expense, it will preserve more rubber on the super sports for summer use.. .. I often drive in the Scottish highlands and really would prefer some extra technology at the business end as the weather can be so foul.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

OK .. deal done .. I drive a very different set of vehicles daily as I have my own business. The largest is a 30 tonne truck (which I have drifted ) and I tow a lot with 4WD's ....and I off road, so I am pretty au fait with different kit .. the M is in a class of its own though because of its power .. so I will report back with my findings with these tyres
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
steveM5-UK
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
OK .. deal done .. I drive a very different set of vehicles daily as I have my own business. The largest is a 30 tonne truck (which I have drifted ) and I tow a lot with 4WD's ....and I off road, so I am pretty au fait with different kit .. the M is in a class of its own though because of its power .. so I will report back with my findings with these tyres
A tester lol, let me know how you get on, think I might need to sort mine out for the same hills.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #11
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveM5-UK View Post
A tester lol, let me know how you get on, think I might need to sort mine out for the same hills.
Well I think I'm done 'testing' after all the stuff I've driven just enjoying my M5 and wish to do so in the best way possible
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:20 AM   #12
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Use winter tyres on all 4 wheels. Dunlop or Pirelli are a good choice.
      11-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Good way to die.
Lol, dramatic but funny if taken in the right way.

Can you get winter tyres which fit on the stock 343m 20' alloys? or do you have to buy a set of smaller alloys?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
HappyMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Good way to die.

Can you get winter tyres which fit on the stock 343m 20' alloys? or do you have to buy a set of smaller alloys?
Yes you can! Here it is mine on stock size 265/295 Pirellis
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #15
IshR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Thanks fo that happyman, in that case I definitely plan to get a set of winter tyres when I get my f10.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshR View Post

As noted above yes you can. Also the wheel subforum is awesome for info. See this thread in particular.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=winter

Also, I was dropping some truth along with humor on the threadstarter. I would be very uncomfortable even driving in cold non snowy weather with increased traction on the rears but leaving the front set summers. Seems like a good way to get into an understeering death slide in traffic.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

i got Pirelli Sottozero 240 on 19" BMW OEM setup. Square so all wheels the same. Currently being stored by BMW UK. My BMW Stealer charges £100 a year for storage and the double switch over.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #18
Bigmuz7
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok so thats them fitted I fitted exactly the same size as OEM which was from memory 265x40 on the front and 295x35 on the rears on 19" rims. They were Michelin Pilot Aplin PA 4's which have quite an agressive pattern on them. So far so good .. bit early to say until they scrub in a bit, but havent lost any real rear traction yet under usual acceleration which is better than the PSS's in the wet. The car does feel a little bit squirmier though, probably due to the blockier tread pattern and newness so far. But I'm happy with that as grip will be better in other areas which was my primary concern. IIRC one dealer told me that these were a stock order part for Porche 911 ? cant vouch for that though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0