Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #243
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3toM View Post
Maybe they don't know yet? If it is a supply issue getting new pumps, they may be pushing the supplier to get a timeline as well at this point...
With all due respect BMW's challenges with their suppliers are not of my concern.

On another note I wonder how much owners, without bad pumps, could get for them on craigslist or ebay????
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #244
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
With all due respect BMW's challenges with their suppliers are not of my concern.

On another note I wonder how much owners, without bad pumps, could get for them on craigslist or ebay????
That may be true, but it probably is the most important factor in determining how quickly you can get your car up and running again.

Interesting thought on the ebay/craigslist issue. Of course, how would that owner explain needing to get a new pump for himself/herself, since their car wouldn't be on the VIN list? I guess they could just wait until this all blows over and then buy one from the parts dept at the dealer when supply is there...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #245
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they don't know yet? If it is a supply issue getting new pumps, they may be pushing the supplier to get a timeline as well at this point...
Quote:
That may be true, but it probably is the most important factor in determining how quickly you can get your car up and running again.
My point was that I dont care about what suppliers are telling BMW or not telling. I paid my money to BMW and therefore BMW is held accountable by me. If BMW cant get an answer after the weekend, regardless of whether the supplier was open/closed, they need to find an alternate supplier.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #246
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2900 View Post
I'm curious whether any affected owners have not yet heard from BMW NA?

I contacted my dealer on Friday, when I read the news on this site. He gave me the same instructions - don't drive it - and had a loan car sent to me this morning.

Of course, I want to believe that my car is fine because I didn't get the call from BMW NA.

Let me just give a quick rant about my 2006 E60:
- VANOS Oil leak recall
- engine replacement at 8k miles
- clutch replacement at 12k miles
- purchased it out of 4 yr lease (biggest mistake ever) and no extended warranty was available... hydraulic transmission pump goes out week later and cost me $8k.
- sold the car immediately at auction

and here i am again. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
Sorry, but I have to ask...why in gods name would you EVER...in a MILLION years buy out a car with so many issues? Especially a 2006 (1st year model) M5??????

That was plain stupid IMO and I can't wait to hear a response...
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #247
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
My point was that I dont care about what suppliers are telling BMW or not telling. I paid my money to BMW and therefore BMW is held accountable by me. If BMW cant get an answer after the weekend, regardless of whether the supplier was open/closed, they need to find an alternate supplier.
Sure. I agree. And I bet BMW is holding their supplier accountable to them, and probably suggesting the same thing (ie if you can't get us the parts done now and done correctly then we'll be taking business elsewhere).

The part that sucks is that leaves you all in the dark at the moment, and hopefully they will be quick to update you all as soon as they know anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #248
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

What BMW owes us

Based on scars from the E60 and irrational fear (I still twitch when I hear "VANOS" or "SMG unit"), I worry about other potential reliability issues with the engine. This fear is probably irrational, disproportionate and driven more by emotion than logic.

But, you know what? Buying an F10 M5 is irrational, disproportionate and driven more by emotion than logic.

You can't rely on "emotion" in marketing and then insist on cold teutonic logic in dealing with issues that crush the happy emotions we all thought we were buying.

That's why I think the answer is to provide an extended warranty on the part and anything it touches. To drive home the point, they should extend coverage on whole engine for 75K or 100K.

For me that would say: "love your car again without fear, we stand behind it"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #249
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionP View Post
Just a question that intrigues my business mind, open to the affected. What would you consider to be "adequate compensation"? Excluding BarryB since his vehicle actually went down with the suspected fault.
That's easy, if it's unuseable for 4 weeks, one month's lease payment. Prorated if it's less or more than 4 weeks.
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #250
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I spoke to BMW NA today and the rep called me again to confirm about my car, and he told me after investigating further , my car is not listed for recall. The full list has been compiled today and BMW is calling everyone whose car is effected by this recall. They will also be sending formal letter in October.

Good luck to everyone who is on the recall list...but to be honest I am scared to drive my M5 and will have this thing back of my mind whenever I'll be driving.....Scary.
      09-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #251
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
That's easy, if it's unuseable for 4 weeks, one month's lease payment. Prorated if it's less or more than 4 weeks.
I would also like to be compensated with a bus pass as well
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #252
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Having gone down the Lemon Law road twice with GM, read the law for your states. I bet those 30 days are BUSINESS days which equate to 6 Weeks of non use. Also for everyone who bought their cars out of state, again read the law. For instance, I live in Indiana, bought a car in Kentucky. Guess what, the lemon law does not apply to the vehicle. Indiana lemon law covers cars bought and registered in Indiana by someone who resides in Indiana. Kentucky lemon law covers a person who resides in Kentucky.
The only other avenue someone would have is the Magnuson-Moss act. You would have to go Federal to gain compensation and then it would be monetary not a buy back.
I wish everyone luck with this issue, I know how frustrating it can be. My 09 Cadillac CTS-V was in the shop for over 6 weeks trying to repair issues which never did get repaired. I ended up suing GM to get compensation and get out of the car because I fell into the scenario above.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #253
nv6425
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 Dark Shadow

Just got a call from SA, he said the part is due in 3 weeks from Germany.
      09-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #254
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ATPC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Excluding BarryB...It depends. I am hearing all types of stories and how people were individually affected. It's entirely up to the consumer and what they feel is necessary to win their satisfaction.

My story is I have a car supposed to go into production next week. The only reason I know that is not happening is because I read the forums-Strike 1. They should be contacting me. I have a lease ending (not BMW) around the anticipated time I was expecting my M5, now what?- Strike 2. I emailed BMW NA, and BMWAG, no one has gotten back to me yet. I called BMW NA. They have not been told anything substantial to relay to me for my predicament. I was told I should call me dealer and maybe upper management will have other avenues to explore by means of talking to reps. Strike 3 and 4. I'm livid. They are just going to try and keep people like me on the hook and offer nothing. Meanwhile from a business perspective I feel this is a fatal tactical error. They should be reaching out to people like me at this point. Why? because I could withdraw my deposit and buy another car. As opposed to the unfortunate ones who are currently stuck with their M waiting to be fixed. I have freedom to go elsewhere, therefore I feel compensation should be an incentive for me to stay loyal to my decision to get the M5.

If you disagree so be it, but I am a business man and thats how I think. You may call it opportunistic, I call it necessary. Good luck to all of you.
Hmmm i see. It's a tough line they are walking. They will have to alienate some business. It's too many variables to get everybody what they want so BMW will have to take some sides somewhere. Not sure how they gonna pick.
      09-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #255
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnicholson View Post
Based on scars from the E60 and irrational fear (I still twitch when I hear "VANOS" or "SMG unit"), I worry about other potential reliability issues with the engine. This fear is probably irrational, disproportionate and driven more by emotion than logic.

But, you know what? Buying an F10 M5 is irrational, disproportionate and driven more by emotion than logic.

You can't rely on "emotion" in marketing and then insist on cold teutonic logic in dealing with issues that crush the happy emotions we all thought we were buying.

That's why I think the answer is to provide an extended warranty on the part and anything it touches. To drive home the point, they should extend coverage on whole engine for 75K or 100K.

For me that would say: "love your car again without fear, we stand behind it"
But if they just happened to replace your pump as 45K just because(Not dealing with all this) they wouldn't extend your warranty for your engine in that case. They would just warranty the part longer. IMO I don't think they would do that as an option with this.
      09-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #256
PrecisionP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
That sounds reasonable. Lets say they gave you a 3 series for the month. And there deal is they give you the difference between a 3 series lease payment and your m5 lease payment. Would that be an acceptable arrangement?
      09-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #257
cmhsam
Major
Rep

Quote:
That sounds reasonable. Lets say they gave you a 3 series for the month. And there deal is they give you the difference between a 3 series lease payment and your m5 lease payment. Would that be an acceptable arrangement?
Not for me. I dont care to spend my money, no matter how small, on a 3 series lease payment. There is a reason I choose to drive a M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #258
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv6425 View Post
Just got a call from SA, he said the part is due in 3 weeks from Germany.
You dealing with Advantage as well?
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #259
mpresiv5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

my sales manager sent me an email Saturday to get a rental for the recall. i went to the dealer today and was told my VIN was not on the list (which I already knew) and didn't need any work done.... left feeling relieved!
      09-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #260
racer10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i

I am confident that BMW is working very hard to solve this very unfortunate problem. That said I encourage you to get your date in to service documented . In Ohio if the car is new , under 18k miles and not repairable in 30 calendar days , you have the option of moving to lemon the car. This means you can either get a new one or your money back. Now as to why I believe BMW is working very hard to solve this is because they understand the lemon laws too . For me I would like to get my M5 back as soon as possible so I can enjoy my $108k, investment before winter forces me to store it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #261
CarolinaM5
Private First Class
Rep

To inject a lil humor, my friend shared this with me LOL

2013 BMW M5, Retired, AW/SO
2012 VW Golf R daily driven Stage II+ APR tune, 370HP
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #262
cnicholson
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
But if they just happened to replace your pump as 45K just because(Not dealing with all this) they wouldn't extend your warranty for your engine in that case. They would just warranty the part longer. IMO I don't think they would do that as an option with this.
I hear you. I guess I am saying that I would prefer peace of mind to a free month's payment-- and I think BMW would prefer that too. Probably actuarial cheaper to give an extended warranty on parts that are surely designed to last 100K+ miles versus pay all impacted owners ~$1500.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #263
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
I spoke to BMW NA today and the rep called me again to confirm about my car, and he told me after investigating further , my car is not listed for recall. The full list has been compiled today and BMW is calling everyone whose car is effected by this recall. They will also be sending formal letter in October.

Good luck to everyone who is on the recall list...but to be honest I am scared to drive my M5 and will have this thing back of my mind whenever I'll be driving.....Scary.
Your fear of driving the M5 when your car is not on the affected VIN list is a little irrational. It has been stated that the issue with the pump is that one second it's fine, the next it's broken. It doesnt degrade over time. Therefore if your car has a perfectly good oil pump, drive the damn thing like you stole it!! lol. That's how I intend to drive mine; when I'm through with break-in of course.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #264
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
I just got the call from BMWNA. Hang on a second while I pick my jaw up off the ground. I am just blown away. I was told specifically not to drive the car, and that they probably won't have a fix until sometime in October. He had no idea when because that haven't even isolated the problem.

I spoke to my dealer, and they don't have a clue either. Waiting to hear back from them. In the mean time
Stare at Beauty in still motion.
Appreciate 0