Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Settings when the engine starts

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
When I start the engine, the default settings are efficient, comfort, comfort and D1 (when I move the shifter to the right). Is there a way to change the default settings to be what I left them on last?

Last edited by Cars are the new horse; 02-09-2022 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
.RanT.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW M5

I have a new owner question too.. Why doesn't the front pdc beep when parking in forward? Car has to be in reverse only? My MB's front pdc alert when I am in forward moving slow if I get close to something... I miss that.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .RanT. View Post
I have a new owner question too.. Why doesn't the front pdc beep when parking in forward? Car has to be in reverse only? My MB's front pdc alert when I am in forward moving slow if I get close to something... I miss that.
The car doesnt realize you are parking until u switch it to reverse. It would be like being at a stoplight and having the front pdc going off as you creep up on a car, which would annoy me. If u are parking forward first, just click the pdc on to the right of the shifter.
      06-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
.RanT.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
The car doesnt realize you are parking until u switch it to reverse. It would be like being at a stoplight and having the front pdc going off as you creep up on a car, which would annoy me. If u are parking forward first, just click the pdc on to the right of the shifter.
Thanks. I'll try that. Sorry to hijack the thread! Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
I just purchased a 2013 M5 after my 2011 M3 was wrecked. I'll post some comparisons for everyone at some point (e.g., between other cars I considered, in case anyone cars, and between other cars I've owned), but in the meantime, i have a couple of questions:

1. When I start the engine, the default settings are efficient, comfort, comfort and D1 (when I move the shifter to the right). Is there a way to change the default settings to be what I left them on last? I know I can just press the M button, though, so this is not that big of a deal.

2. The volume settings always start very low -- is there a way to make it start up with what I left the volume on last?
This annoys me as well. I had my car coded but remembering the last drive settings isnt an option. Best option as you mentioned is to program your M1 and M2 buttons and just click it when u get in the car.

I did code my vents to remember the last setting so that they dont always turn on when the car starts, hated that.
      06-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

The low power-on volume for the stereo is by design, and I don't know of a way to change it even via coding. The idea is that since there's such a huge variance in volume for different radio stations and even songs within a given station or local music collection, starting at a low volume eliminates the potential of the stereo blaring at you if you start with a high-volume song after having last listened to low-volume material. Also consider that if your last drive consisted of carving canyon roads with the windows down and you set your volume appropriately for that amount of wind and road noise and your overall enthusiasm, when you next get into the car on a peaceful morning while it's stopped in your driveway with the windows up and you're groggy, the stereo's last volume setting could be hugely jarring. A too-low setting is far less irritating and unpleasant than a too-high setting IMHO.

I actually appreciate this feature and actually have my home AV receiver set to do this, which allows me to always start at a volume appropriate for night use in case that's when I want to start watching something.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0