M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

09-28-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

New injectors, finally runs but now a grocery list of errors

Over a two week span I'd taken my 2010 X5M apart to remove both PCV hoses running to the valve covers, removed the plugs and injectors, the front window was randomly replaced in the middle of all this by Safelite for a rock chip, then once parts arrived, everything was replaced with all new parts with the assistance of a buddy who's a full time tech at A BMW of Seattle. During the two weeks period the battery had died for likely multiple reasons...door opened and closed randomly (which wakes the computer, primes the fuel pump, etc) so I finally put a trickle charger on the car. To my ignorance, I'd plugged it into the switched outlet that only worked when the lights were on in the garage. After realizing the battery was stone dead, I switched to another outlet that was constant, but even after a few days, it was still dead...I finally removed the battery and charged it on my work bench for 24hrs.

After we finally got everything reinstalled, we threw the battery back in, but it still wasn't enough, the battery from the GF's Scion wasn't even but we finally got it to start using the battery from my Harley F150. Car stuttered a little bit but ultimately it's finally running like a top. Issue is now that I've noticed oddities that no matter how many times I reset the codes using my Android phone and an app called Carista, I still can't get things to operate as normal.

iDrive gives me an error message saying "Lighting system! Stop vehicle" and "Seat Calibration" error messages - my windows won't roll down via the normal window switch (only the rears and sunroof open and close via the keyfob), no interior lights, power folding mirrors and mirrors themselves and I've got a car on lift icon that won't go away. Google searches have led me to believe it could be anything from a blown LCM light control module, all the computers just needing to be recoded so they see each other to maybe even a fault caused by the window company replacing the rain/headlight sensors since my headlights won't shut off, no marker lights, no dash lights, no turn signals, no hazards and the headlights themselves won't turn or self level while the car is moving. Stock battery is back in the car, but the codes remain. Another BMW tech buddy suggested doing the simply system reset of disconnecting the battery and touching the terminals together for 15 min, so I'll try that this evening, but nevertheless I figured I'd post these here...all I ask is please to keep the replies factual vs "I heard from a friend" scare tactics because I've read some of those today when people said that they either could code or had to replace modules in the footwell, the LCM, etc to getting a tech who knows what they're doing and just reset it all.

These are the codes that came up after finally get a good battery in the truck, start it for the first time and then running codes:

OBD2 - confirmed:
U0100 - Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A"
OBD2 - pending:
P1701
OBD2 - pending:
OBD2 - pending:
P16A3
OBD2 - pending:
P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1
OBD2 - pending:
P0175 - System Too Rich Bank 2
OBD2 - permanent:
Transmission:
507D
Transmission:
50DC
Transmission:
CF2F
Transmission:
CF30 - Check Control message
Transmission:
CF33 - Delay requirement ACC
Transmission:
CF37 - SMG 3
Transmission:
55C3
Transmission:
55D0
Heater & air conditioning:
E71F
Rear heater & A/C:
E75E
Traction/stability control:
5DCF
6EC4
6EA5
6EC8
Airbags:
9408 - Undervoltage during self test
Airbags:
93D0 - Undervoltage
Instrument cluster:
931B
Instrument cluster:
931D
Instrument cluster:
A3B0 - CAN signal fault dimming
Instrument cluster:
A3B4 - CAN signal fault light system
Instrument cluster:
A3C1
Instrument cluster:
A566
Dynamic management:
641A
Dynamic management:
Tire pressure monitor:
604F
Tire pressure monitor:
Tire pressure monitor:
Tire pressure monitor:
Parking brake:
Trailer:
AAAA
Trailer:
AAAB
Trailer:
E559
Car access system:
A0B1
Central electronics:
A2CD
Central electronics:
E2D5
High beam assist:
E0D5 - unknown failure
High beam assist:
E0D8 - state of lamp
Center roof module:
DE8B
Driver's seat:
9E77 - Normalization error SLV
Infotainment system:
C588
Infotainment display:
A475 - Ignition failure
Infotainment display:
E5D8
Heads-up display:
A4EB
Heads-up display:
A4F8 - CAN Message failure

These are pretty much all the codes that remain even after countless resets:

OBD2 - permanent:
Transmission:
55C3
Transmission:
55D0
Heater & air conditioning:
E71F
Rear heater & A/C:
E75E
6EC8
6EC4
6EA5
6F4E
6DE6
Instrument cluster:
A3B0 - CAN signal fault dimming
Instrument cluster:
A3B4 - CAN signal fault light system
Instrument cluster:
A3C1
Instrument cluster:
A558
Instrument cluster:
A559
Dynamic management:
Trailer:
E559
Central electronics:
E2D5
High beam assist:
E0D5 - unknown failure
High beam assist:
E0D8 - state of lamp
Driver's seat:
9E77 - Normalization error SLV
Infotainment display:
E1CD - unknown failure
Infotainment display:
E5D8
Heads-up display:
A4F8 - CAN Message failure

OBD2 - pending:
P0175 - System Too Rich Bank 2
OBD2 - pending:
P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1
OBD2 - pending:
P0308 - Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected (likely my fault for getting into boost before coding the injectors )
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:01 AM   #2
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Did you sort this? I am guessing a new battery and full system reset / codes clear?

Why were you removing the PCV's?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Turns out due to letting the battery die, a module called an FRM3 died. They're actually a common failure item, BMW has since come out with updated modules...it's a software issue where it goes into bootloop. There are people on the boards who'll repair them for $150.

The injectors have a service campaign, so anyone with older injectors can get a service loaner and they'll be replaced for free to at least index 12 injectors.

The PCV system is becoming a notorious item on these vehicles as well. There's yet another service campaign for the connecting line (middle in LH picture), but ultimately all 5 lines should be replaced roughly every 60k. I replaced the two in the RH picture because they were weeping oil, the other lines I replaced due to being brittle or leaking oil.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 01-10-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0