BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Just changed my front discs and pads (by my mechanic) all seemed to go ok, but there is some movement on the top half of my drivers side brake pad.... I can move the pad back and forth a few mm which causes a click/clank noise when driving, soon as brake is applied noise stops. Car brakes perfectly, pedal feel is normal, no juddering etc just a noise at low speeds, anyone know of a cause or what could be the problem? I've not bled the brakes and am wondering if the top caliper pot has air trapped in it from doing the disc/pad job?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59607.50
      03-30-2021, 03:07 AM   #2
BalSingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E31, F20 and F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
Just changed my front discs and pads (by my mechanic) all seemed to go ok, but there is some movement on the top half of my drivers side brake pad.... I can move the pad back and forth a few mm which causes a click/clank noise when driving, soon as brake is applied noise stops. Car brakes perfectly, pedal feel is normal, no juddering etc just a noise at low speeds, anyone know of a cause or what could be the problem? I've not bled the brakes and am wondering if the top caliper pot has air trapped in it from doing the disc/pad job?
From experience, if you had air trapped the pedal would feel a bit spongy...worth a quick bleed if you have one of the pressurised kits.

Out of interest do you feel they’re better than OEM? Or too early to tell?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalSingh View Post
Quote:
From experience, if you had air trapped the pedal would feel a bit spongy...worth a quick bleed if you have one of the pressurised kits.

Out of interest do you feel they’re better than OEM? Or too early to tell?
Too early atm I think, but bite seems good and I've not had them too hot yet due to still bedding in.... I feel that my situation could be being caused by the pad not yet being seated correctly, it now only makes the noises on a straight line, around corners it disappears.... hoping it lessens as more miles are achieved!
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59607.50
      03-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #4
BalSingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E31, F20 and F10

Quote:
Too early atm I think, but bite seems good and I've not had them too hot yet due to still bedding in.... I feel that my situation could be being caused by the pad not yet being seated correctly, it now only makes the noises on a straight line, around corners it disappears.... hoping it lessens as more miles are achieved!
Try the old reversing/hard braking trick...usually that gets it back in place. Although I’ve not had the pleasure of changing my pads on the M5 yet.
Appreciate 2
J11SEK268.00
M5Rick59607.50
      04-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalSingh View Post
Quote:
Try the old reversing/hard braking trick...usually that gets it back in place. Although I’ve not had the pleasure of changing my pads on the M5 yet.
So it turns out this was the problem..... one side of the anti slip clip/shim has sheared off leaving the outer pad loose to move around, new part from bmw £23 🤣😂 caliper back off and refitted! Result is a quiet brake/wheel for anyone doing brakes I would highly recommend checking these before putting back together!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M5Rick59607.50
      04-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
So it turns out this was the problem..... one side of the anti slip clip/shim has sheared off leaving the outer pad loose to move around, new part from bmw £23 🤣😂 caliper back off and refitted! Result is a quiet brake/wheel for anyone doing brakes I would highly recommend checking these before putting back together!
Nice one Jase.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00