M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
OgGinja
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5

Exclamation slipping/delayed downshifts after SSP Clutch/VRSF charge cooler install.

Hey guys I have a weird one here ...I just installed SSP clutches and VRSF charge coolers. After break in and re-learning, oil balance, purge everything in the DKG I am having weird on throttle downshifts (every gear). It acts like its not releasing/engaging the clutch fast enough and will cause a clutch slip if enough throttle is given. So when I downshift manually or auto while on throttle, you can feel it downshift but acts like clutch is slipping for a second or two and then you feel the clutch clamp and it will take off with no slippage, but if you give it more throttle in this delay it will slip. When clutch was installed I had both filters replaced and used Motul Multi DCTF fluid. Would anything involving the charge cooler upgraded cause something like this? Car has no faults what so ever!

Trouble shooting I have done with no resolve:
clutch, trans, valve relearning, torque curve resets 50 times all have been successful...even took my car to a shop to have them do it just to verify my ista wasn't the issue.
loaded DKG software via ista. Even installed an Xhp trans tune for shit and giggles.
flashed DME to stock tune and back to other tunes...no change.
Spoke with Kris at SSP and seems this is NOT clutch issues as upshifts are crisp and on point.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue and help a guy out!

Last edited by OgGinja; 10-09-2021 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

The charge code has nothing to do with the shifting of the gears therefore I will not have any impact on the transmission. The thing that needs to be looked at is the clutches and is very striking that Kris at SSP is going to deny that there is any issue since it up shifts properly. But what about the downshift part did Kris forget that?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
It’s definitely the clutches. I have the SSP Spec X installed and have had no issues whatsoever - but others have.

Did you follow the break-in process to the t?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
OgGinja
Rep

I really appreciate you guys replying! My mechanic and I are at our wits end and it sucks not being able to drive the car as it should.

Doctor_X Followed the procedure to a T...didn't even know there was a problem until after because I was so easy on the car with low revs. When you baby the car everything seems normal.

warpeacelove I have spoken to SSPKris multiple times and he said if its not odds or evens its not clutches...

FYI Car is going back into the shop on the 18th. Will be removing the clutches to verify a few things and taking measurements.

Last edited by OgGinja; 10-09-2021 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
Doctor_X1158.00
      10-09-2021, 11:58 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Definitely following. Seems like a 50/50 risk with the SSP kit and I know I'll be looking for clutches in the not so distant future.

Hope ya find a fix for it soon. Like you said it sucks not being able to drive the car like it should.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:02 AM   #6
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Ive read quite a few threads with these similar iseues
Its rather concerning as surely it can all be install issues
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #7
OgGinja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Ive read quite a few threads with these similar iseues
Its rather concerning as surely it can all be install issues
Agreed, that's where having a great mechanic comes into play. Mine has agreed to remove everything and check everything out just in case free of charge no matter what he finds. He has installed A lot of e90 M3 DCT clutches and a few F30's so I have good faith in his ability's. I will not place any blame yet and hope if it is the clutches kris can help out.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
OgGinja
Rep

Just so you guys can relate to my issue of this car sitting in the garage and not being able to drive lol. To gorgeous to be locked away...

Just incase anyone is wondering, if not here it is anyways:
Car is currently on BM3 running an HCP stage 2+ E30 map, Catless downpipes, VSRF charge coolers, Carbon AFE air scoops, BMS stealth meth kit (have not been able to tune/use yet since I was waiting on SSP clutch's to insure no slippage), Dinan intakes, axle back exhaust, sway bars, springs. Carbon front and rear splitters and NO name carbon high kick rear spoiler, 20" Brixton RF7's.
Attached Images

Last edited by OgGinja; 01-03-2022 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgGinja View Post
Just so you guys can relate to my issue of this car sitting in the garage and not being able to drive lol. To gorgeous to be locked away...

Just incase anyone is wondering, if not here it is anyways:
Car is currently on BM3 running an HCP stage 2+ E30 map, Catless downpipes, VSRF upgrade charge coolers, Carbon AFE air scoops, BMS stealth meth kit (have not been able to tune/use yet since I was waiting on SSP clutch's to insure no slippage), Dinan intakes, axle back exhaust, sway bars, springs. Carbon front and rear splitters and NO name carbon high kick rear spoiler, 20" Brixton RF7's.

Wooo lordy! I can see the struggle is real.

Have you installed the BMS meth kit yet? This is something that has been on my mind and want to learn more about. Primarily interested in knowing the advantages/disadvantages of the different place to install the nozzles.

The lic plate is very clever.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
OgGinja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Wooo lordy! I can see the struggle is real.

Have you installed the BMS meth kit yet? This is something that has been on my mind and want to learn more about. Primarily interested in knowing the advantages/disadvantages of the different place to install the nozzles.

The lic plate is very clever.
The kit is installed but have yet to tune/use it due to the clutch issues . Starting to regret not seeing how far the stock clutches would go first...

Thanks, Had to think outside the box for the plates...seems like every variant for any M car plate is taken here in VA .
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The kit is installed but have yet to tune/use it due to the clutch issues . Starting to regret not seeing how far the stock clutches would go first...

Thanks, Had to think outside the box for the plates...seems like every variant for any M car plate is taken here in VA .
Did you connect the nozzles to the charge pipe or the charge coolers? I've seen the options out there but not sure of the merits of either.

After I buy and install the BMS kit I will likely run on tock clutches then follow up with the xhp flash. Hoping to see more positive news from your ssp install and others soon. Otherwise I'll have to be happy with a meager 700hp car, lmao.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #12
OgGinja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Did you connect the nozzles to the charge pipe or the charge coolers? I've seen the options out there but not sure of the merits of either.

After I buy and install the BMS kit I will likely run on tock clutches then follow up with the xhp flash. Hoping to see more positive news from your ssp install and others soon. Otherwise I'll have to be happy with a meager 700hp car, lmao.
Nozzles are post charge coolers close to the throttle body's. I do have my boost source for my AEM controller on the charge pipe. I am going for as good IAT's as I can. 700hp is a great number for me as well but torque is where its at man! the stock clutches cant handle much more than the 650ish. Just have to watch how it comes in so the rods stay straight lol.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 11:40 PM   #13
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nozzles are post charge coolers close to the throttle body's. I do have my boost source for my AEM controller on the charge pipe. I am going for as good IAT's as I can. 700hp is a great number for me as well but torque is where its at man! the stock clutches cant handle much more than the 650ish. Just have to watch how it comes in so the rods stay straight lol.
Thanks for sharing the information. I am running on a stock rebuild engine now so I am definitely not looking to do anything that will result in anything being rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #14
BBHMM
Private First Class
Rep

daaaam keep us posted how it ended with SSP, I'm so glad that I did not pull Triger to buy SSP products its like lottery lol
any opinions about Deka clutches?? I did not hear any horror stories about their products
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
OgGinja
Rep

*UPDATE*
So we removed the basket and verified everything is installed Correctly. Spoke to Kris at SSP and we verified the clutch pack heights were correct as well. Kris suspects that the clutches are sticking to the friction plates causing the issue. This kind of makes sense as when disassembling the clutches to verify no abnormal wear/install found some of the clutches were suctioned pretty good to the plates. Kris suggested using BMW Pentosin DCT fluid P#1080107 since the Motul is thicker and can cause the suctioning to be worse. Reinstalled everything with Pentosin and after relearns car is still having the slow downshifts. Will try to put some more miles on the car to get the new fluid circulated and see if this resolves anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
BBHMM
Private First Class
Rep

you made my choice I will go with Deka clutches
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #17
OgGinja
Rep

So I have put another 300-400 miles on the clutches and it seems that the downshifts had improved. I performed all relearns successfully and after putting some more miles (total miles on clutch's so far 700ish) decided to get a little more aggressive to see how they acted. On the very first on throttle downshift to 3rd at 60mph the clutch seemed to downshift a lot better but not 100% (the slip happened so quick I tried to left off the throttle but was to late) and proceeded to throw a clutch temp warning...car started to grind gears as it attempted to auto downshift when coming to a stop. Once stopped car would not shift into any gear. Lucky I had my laptop with me and ran ista finding faults Gearshift rod 2-R and rod 6-4. Tried clearing errors and running relearns with no successful learnings. Suspect large clutch set has warped rings and is causing engagement issues. Spoke to kris and will be sending him my entire basket with clutches for inspection.

In the back of my mind I have thought about taking the loss and going with Deka...but will wait and see how SSP handles this issue for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 10:57 PM   #18
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Very unfortunate. A reputable company would've had a new set on the way a long time ago. It's not worth it for both the customer's headache nor the company's reputation.

Now if the second set had issues too, then who knows, it might be the installers fault. But you're not even there yet.

I do recommend finding a different shop that can handle everything from A to Z. They buy the clutches, they install, they guarantee it. Too much of a hassle trying to deal with two companies each blaming the other. I learned that lesson the hard way as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:10 PM   #19
Doctor_X
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP - 2022 M5 CS

Garage List
2015 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [0.00]
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1418429
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:11 PM   #20
OgGinja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Very unfortunate. A reputable company would've had a new set on the way a long time ago. It's not worth it for both the customer's headache nor the company's reputation.

Now if the second set had issues too, then who knows, it might be the installers fault. But you're not even there yet.

I do recommend finding a different shop that can handle everything from A to Z. They buy the clutches, they install, they guarantee it. Too much of a hassle trying to deal with two companies each blaming the other. I learned that lesson the hard way as well.
The shop I use is very reputable and has done quite a few DCT clutches from E90 M3's to f80/f82's and Porsche PDK's with no issues. The last visit where we removed the clutches to verify everything he covered at no cost EVEN after we found absolutely no issue with his install. This 3rd time is all me due to the clutch and that has me thinking if I should just take the loss put in a new deka clutch and hope i don't have to pull the trans a 4th and 5th time lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:16 PM   #21
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post

The shop I use is very reputable and has done quite a few DCT clutches from E90 M3's to f80/f82's and Porsche PDK's with no issues. The last visit where we removed the clutches to verify everything he covered at no cost EVEN after we found absolutely no issue with his install. This 3rd time is all me due to the clutch and that has me thinking if I should just take the loss put in a new deka clutch and hope i don't have to pull the trans a 4th and 5th time lol.
Yep, even more of a reason why SSP should've sent new clutches and asked for the broken ones back.

I was saying that you shouldn't/wouldn't have had to deal with SSP at all if the shop ordered the clutches themselves. In that case, you'd only deal with the shop. If it breaks, you go back to them to fix it and they deal with the headache.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #22
OgGinja
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_X View Post
Doc, I have had 0 issues prior to this with my trans and only upgraded my clutches before I had issues to make more power. I had no slipping or errors and would shift gears perfectly and on point. If I had issues with clutch engagement I would expect that prior to the new clutches.

I will definitely be looking into cleaning the magnets and megatronics while the trans is out for the 3rd time.
Appreciate 0