Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #1
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Track day at Grattan raceway

My first ever track event. Took some videos on day 2, including this great one with some Lotus Elises. Car performed like a champ, although next time I do it I'll go a click stiffer on at least rebound on the KW V3s, max out the Dinan sways and definitely put on some better pads. The stock pads did better than I expected, but it stopped me from really bombing the straightaways, which is where this thing makes up for the slower turns. Not a problem in this video on the main straightaway, though, as I caught up to the Elise too quickly and had to let up on the throttle (was purposely staying behind the red one). I also in general had to go easy at the jump before turn 5 and turn 11, which has a dip, as otherwise I was blastin' the bumpstops and unsettling the car.

So much fun!

Would also like to find a position that doesn't reflect the darn center speaker.

Last edited by vafan13; 10-10-2021 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
valbmw94.00
SSJAR26.50
M5Rick58910.50
      10-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
McDangles
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Looks like a tricky lap. Nicely done

What sort of brake fluid are you running and how did it hold up for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDangles View Post
Looks like a tricky lap. Nicely done

What sort of brake fluid are you running and how did it hold up for you?
A number of blind turns, including some off-camber parts, plus the elevation changes that don't fully come through in the video. Really fun track once I got used to it!

RBF600 and it held up well, though it probably helped that I couldn't stress it as much with the OEM pads limiting me.
      10-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
McDangles
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
A number of blind turns, including some off-camber parts, plus the elevation changes that don't fully come through in the video. Really fun track once I got used to it!

RBF600 and it held up well, though it probably helped that I couldn't stress it as much with the OEM pads limiting me.
I've gone with ATE 200 thinking the same. OEM pads will likely be the weakest link. The RBF600 ultimately looks like the way to go but some folks mentioning the frequency of a flush being much higher kept me away this time. I don't know if 3 track days a year really necessitates the RBF600. Could be wrong though.

Care to share what your tire pressures looked like over the course of the day?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDangles View Post
I've gone with ATE 200 thinking the same. OEM pads will likely be the weakest link. The RBF600 ultimately looks like the way to go but some folks mentioning the frequency of a flush being much higher kept me away this time. I don't know if 3 track days a year really necessitates the RBF600. Could be wrong though.

Care to share what your tire pressures looked like over the course of the day?
Depending on who is hosting the event, the greater frequency on flushes might be moot. The BMW CCA one I almost went to wanted it w/in the last year, although my guess is that's on the stricter end. I will say that a guy who races professionally I talked to said he can run RBF600 no problem for two years before flushing, just with regular bleeding. This being in his 1-series he tracks, not his actual race cars, obviously.

I started with 30psi going into my first session of the day and after each session immediately measured and brought them down to 35, assuming they were over (which they usually were).

Last edited by vafan13; 10-11-2021 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:51 AM   #6
g.m00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 & M2C

It looked pretty smooth though

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.m00 View Post
It looked pretty smooth though
thanks! Certainly wasn't at the start, but thankfully I improved quickly.
      10-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
My first ever track event. Took some videos on day 2, including this great one with some Lotus Elises. Car performed like a champ, although next time I do it I'll go a click stiffer on at least rebound on the KW V3s, max out the Dinan sways and definitely put on some better pads. The stock pads did better than I expected, but it stopped me from really bombing the straightaways, which is where this thing makes up for the slower turns. Not a problem in this video on the main straightaway, though, as I caught up to the Elise too quickly and had to let up on the throttle (was purposely staying behind the red one). I also in general had to go easy at the jump before turn 5 and turn 11, which has a dip, as otherwise I was blastin' the bumpstops and unsettling the car.

So much fun!

Would also like to find a position that doesn't reflect the darn center speaker.
Speaker reflection doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #9
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Found out there was a photographer taking pictures. Was a good one of me as I went up to the "jump".
Attached Images

co_pa221.50